Home

TheSinner.net

Saintmail-your thoughts

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Saintmail-your thoughts

Postby favio on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:17 am

If you've braved the change to saintmail, what do you think?
favio

Re: Saintmail-your thoughts

Postby James.C. on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:40 pm

I know 2 or 3 people who are having problems with it but its been working fine with me. My point of view is its just webmail with the addition of a calander (which i am finding very useful as i am quite forgetful and i can tell it to e-mail me reminders). Prefer being on it to webmail.
James.C.

Postby meja on Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:05 pm

I haven't switched to Saintmail because I am a research student, and there was a disclaimer that research students should perhaps not sign up to it because with the way Google stores and searches all private data (thus making it no longer truly private) it cannot be guaranteed that the content can remain as confidential as with other services. Really, is this an email service suitable for an academic institution?!? I'm not convinced; I want as much confidentiality as possible in my private mail.
meja

Postby starsandsparkles on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:42 pm

It's slightly slow at loading for me, but otherwise fine. I used to have my mail forwarded to my gmail account anyway, so it doesn't make much difference.

Would be good if they allowed society accounts to transfer - the spam filters would be especially welcome.
starsandsparkles

Postby Kegrad on Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:07 pm

starsandsparkles wrote:Would be good if they allowed society accounts to transfer - the spam filters would be especially welcome.

That would also be great for the calendars.
Kegrad

Postby 2jays on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:57 pm

meja wrote:I haven't switched to Saintmail because I am a research student, and there was a disclaimer that research students should perhaps not sign up to it because with the way Google stores and searches all private data (thus making it no longer truly private) it cannot be guaranteed that the content can remain as confidential as with other services. Really, is this an email service suitable for an academic institution?!? I'm not convinced; I want as much confidentiality as possible in my private mail.

Thank you for this. I am not a research student but I did not know that SaintMail is EXACTLY like GMail which I already refuse to use.
2jays

Postby Power Metal Dom on Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:48 pm

meja wrote:because with the way Google stores and searches all private data (thus making it no longer truly private) it cannot be guaranteed that the content can remain as confidential as with other services. Really, is this an email service suitable for an academic institution?!? I'm not convinced; I want as much confidentiality as possible in my private mail.

Wait, what?! Google has access to my 'private' email?
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Postby joeatodd on Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:56 pm

Power Metal Dom wrote:
meja wrote:because with the way Google stores and searches all private data (thus making it no longer truly private) it cannot be guaranteed that the content can remain as confidential as with other services. Really, is this an email service suitable for an academic institution?!? I'm not convinced; I want as much confidentiality as possible in my private mail.

Wait, what?! Google has access to my 'private' email?

Bots scan it for ad keywords... fairly private
joeatodd

Postby CS Student on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:32 am

If you believe e-mail is generally private, you're wrong. The messages are actually sent between severs in the clear and therefore readable to the world (unless you encrypt the messages themselves). Think of it like a postal service with clear envelopes, bags and trucks.

I see Google's automatic keyword scanner as just one of those things. I'd be more worried about people "listening on the line" if there was anything sensitive I was e-mailing. Though, I wouldn't use e-mail for anything sensitive in the first place.
CS Student

Postby Hennessy on Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:59 am

Well it's utterly failing to load at the moment just when I need to email my advisor so I'd just like to point out it's really not that much of an improvement if it has the same problem that the old webmail had, namely a high fucking propensity to crash for extended periods of time for no good reason.
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby James.C. on Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:52 pm

Hennessy wrote:Well it's utterly failing to load at the moment just when I need to email my advisor so I'd just like to point out it's really not that much of an improvement if it has the same problem that the old webmail had, namely a high fucking propensity to crash for extended periods of time for no good reason.

Basically everything university computer related has been taken down for 3 hours from 12 for something to do with power or something. Sorry, can't be bothered to look back at the e-mail we all got.
James.C.

Postby careba2010 on Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:54 pm

James.C. wrote:
Hennessy wrote:Well it's utterly failing to load at the moment just when I need to email my advisor so I'd just like to point out it's really not that much of an improvement if it has the same problem that the old webmail had, namely a high fucking propensity to crash for extended periods of time for no good reason.

Basically everything university computer related has been taken down for 3 hours from 12 for something to do with power or something. Sorry, can't be bothered to look back at the e-mail we all got.

And to be honest James C you probably cant look at your email anyway at the moment as its not working due to the power outtage. What I want to know is why the University did not do this "essential maintenance" during the almost four month summer break when demand for the computing facilities would be less
careba2010

Postby RedCelt69 on Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:05 pm

careba2010 wrote:And to be honest James C you probably cant look at your email anyway at the moment as its not working due to the power outtage. What I want to know is why the University did not do this "essential maintenance" during the almost four month summer break when demand for the computing facilities would be less

The email mentioned iirc Scottish Power. Which suggests that the timing of the work was not the decision of the uni.

Edit: here we go...
Professor P J Clark wrote:Please note that nearly all our public computing facilities across
campus will be unavailable from 12 noon to 3 p.m. tomorrow Wednesday
October 7th due to major electrical work being carried out by Scottish
Power on the North Haugh.

Services which will be unavailable during this period include all public
computer rooms, email, access to web pages and other online services,
printing and the wireless network and the Library catalogue PCs.

Library services will continue to operate locally as normal, so users
will still be able to borrow and return books, although these and other
services will be considered to be at risk. We regret the inconvenience
this will cause.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby James.C. on Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:11 pm

careba2010 wrote:
James.C. wrote:

And to be honest James C you probably cant look at your email anyway at the moment as its not working due to the power outtage. What I want to know is why the University did not do this "essential maintenance" during the almost four month summer break when demand for the computing facilities would be less

Yeah, i realized what i said after i wrote it and couldn't be arsed to change it :P
James.C.

Postby 777 on Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:32 pm

Anyone know when saintmail will be available again?

Edit. Back now.
I thought I saw your name on a loaf of bread today but when I looked again it said 'Thick Cut'

Postby James.C. on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:50 am

One thing i have noticed about Staintmail is that it seems to put any society e-mails i get straight into the spam folder.
James.C.

Postby starsandsparkles on Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:47 pm

James.C. wrote:One thing i have noticed about Staintmail is that it seems to put any society e-mails i get straight into the spam folder.

The University sent an email about that today. For the first few weeks you need to keep checking your spam and moving it to your inbox. Eventually, saintmail "learns" that they aren't spam. I opted in a week or so ago and mine have stopped going to spam now.
starsandsparkles

Postby James.C. on Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:07 pm

starsandsparkles wrote:
James.C. wrote:One thing i have noticed about Staintmail is that it seems to put any society e-mails i get straight into the spam folder.

The University sent an email about that today. For the first few weeks you need to keep checking your spam and moving it to your inbox. Eventually, saintmail "learns" that they aren't spam. I opted in a week or so ago and mine have stopped going to spam now.

Ah ok, i saw the e-mail and skimmed over it but wasn't paying attension clearly, thanks.
James.C.

Postby wild_quinine on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:27 pm

James.C. wrote:Ah ok, i saw the e-mail and skimmed over it but wasn't paying attension clearly, thanks.

Yeah, sometimes nature's own spam filter makes a few false positives, too. ;)
wild_quinine

Postby James.C. on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:19 am

wild_quinine wrote:
James.C. wrote:Ah ok, i saw the e-mail and skimmed over it but wasn't paying attension clearly, thanks.

Yeah, sometimes nature's own spam filter makes a few false positives, too. ;)

No comment, :P
James.C.

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board