Home

TheSinner.net

University Tartan?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

University Tartan?

Postby yarsb on Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:31 pm

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the university tartan?

I found one http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tartanDetails.aspx?ref=3884 on the Tartan Register but says its 'Corporate'. Is this the only one?

How would I got about getting a pair of Trews in the Uni Tartan?

Thanks for your help and advice,

Yarsb.
yarsb

Re: University Tartan?

Postby Gubbins on Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:08 pm

The 'Corporate' label is to distinguish it from a 'clan' tartan. (It should, of course, be noted that the so-called "clan" tartans are a Victorian invention: a particular weave would - if anything - identify someone from a particular village, rather than family.) Also, as you can see, the tartan is only 12 years old, meaning it has little historical or cultural significance for the University. Furthermore, though I could never describe myself as a fashion guru, I would gently suggest that tartan trews are best left on the golf course.

Nevertheless, should you still be interested (or indeed play golf), you would probably need to have a reputable tailor order the cloth from Kinloch Anderson Ltd. themselves and have them made up. I can't think of any tailors in St. Andrews that still make clothing, but there are likely some in Dundee - failing which there are certainly some in either Edinburgh or Perth. Janet Eagleton & Son of Perth have always done me well, though they are sporran-makers by trade, they also make kilts and a wide range of contacts in the trade. I would estimate the cost to be of order £200, give or take, depending on your measurements.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Postby Cain on Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:23 pm

Gubbins wrote:Furthermore, though I could never describe myself as a fashion guru, I would gently suggest that tartan trews are best left on the golf course.

Is there no place in the world for tartan pyjama trousers?
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Postby Fawksie on Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:43 pm

Tartan trews are best left on a burning rubbish heap.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby Gubbins on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:33 am

Cain wrote:Is there no place in the world for tartan pyjama trousers?

That depends on whether you're intending bringing anyone home with you.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Postby Jos Dad on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:10 pm

Gubbins wrote:Nevertheless, should you still be interested (or indeed play golf), you would probably need to have a reputable tailor order the cloth from Kinloch Anderson Ltd. themselves and have them made up. I can't think of any tailors in St. Andrews that still make clothing, but there are likely some in Dundee - failing which there are certainly some in either Edinburgh or Perth. Janet Eagleton & Son of Perth have always done me well, though they are sporran-makers by trade, they also make kilts and a wide range of contacts in the trade. I would estimate the cost to be of order £200, give or take, depending on your measurements.

Being a sad old man, I have a University Tartan Waistcoat. I had to have it made up by Kinloch Anderson, as they do not usually allow the tartan out of their hands.
From the Glory of High fell, unto the despair of life.
Jos Dad

Return to The Sinner's Main Board