Home

TheSinner.net

Logic problems

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Thackary on Sun May 18, 2003 12:05 pm

D-4.

The Statement "True Statements:" is false, as they're not all true.
Thackary

Re:

Postby James on Sun May 18, 2003 1:03 pm

[s]RichZ wrote on 12:50, 18th May 2003:
And:

TRUE STATEMENTS:
A. The number of false statements here is one.
B. The number of false statements here is two.
C. The number of false statements here is three.
D. The number of false statements here is four.

Which of the above statements is true?

Assuming that "True Statements" is a title, then, of A to D, statement C is true.
James

Re:

Postby Valen_gr on Sun May 18, 2003 1:22 pm

[s]RichZ wrote on 12:46, 18th May 2003:
I'm sure most people have heard this one before, but still, for those who haven't, don't spoil it if you know it:

Three people check into a hotel. They pay £30 to the manager and go to their room. The manager finds out that the room rate is £25 and gives £5 to the porter to return. On the way to the room the porter reasons that £5 would be difficult to share among three people so he pockets £2 and gives £1 to each person. Now each person paid £10 and got back £1. So they paid £9 each, totalling £27. The porter has £2, totalling £29. Where is the remaining pound?

well, not to get mixed up, in the end,from the original £30:
the manager has £25
the porter has £ 2
the guests have £ 3 +
---------------------
£ 30

or simply put, you are adding how much people paid with how much people have.
( guests paid 10 each and porter has 2)
You should add either how much everyone has or how much everyone paid - received, not mix them up
[hr]
where's spoon????
-There is no spoon!!
[i:3qoywpzu]Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe....[/i:3qoywpzu]
Valen_gr

Hotel bill

Postby silkworm on Sun May 18, 2003 1:26 pm

Three guests paid £9 pounds each (£27) which is the hotel bill (£25) plus the extra £2 the porter pocketed
silkworm

Re:

Postby James on Sun May 18, 2003 3:39 pm

The hotel bill thing's confusing, as has been said, I think, because 27 = 3 x 9 = 25 + 2 ... and the way it's worded makes you think of the wrong one.
James

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sun May 18, 2003 4:04 pm

A man is inside a circular(based, not spherical) building with no internal walls, no door and 1 window 20ft up.

Outside there is a deaf dog and length of rope 40ft long.

How does the man escape?

[hr]Management: The art of writing like you know what you're talking about and making others believe it.

(munchingfoo comprehensive dictionary)
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby KayBee on Sun May 18, 2003 5:07 pm

[s]munchingfoo wrote on 17:04, 18th May 2003:
A man is inside a circular(based, not spherical) building with no internal walls, no door and 1 window 20ft up.

Outside there is a deaf dog and length of rope 40ft long.

Out the doorway because there's no door in it.

[hr]
"I never travel without my diary. One should have always have someting sensational to read on the train."

OSCAR WILDE
KayBee

Re:

Postby niall on Sun May 18, 2003 5:25 pm

my answer to this one earlier was that he walks out since there are no walls..

[hr]do you have a tastyspoon?

http://www.tastyspoon.com/forum
niall

Fun Run

Postby James on Sun May 18, 2003 6:52 pm

Bob is running a 3 mile fun run. He looks at his watch after two miles and thinks, "Argh! I've only averaged 4 miles per hour, and I wanted to average 6 mph. I'll have to speed up!" He speeds up to try to get his average down.
How fast must he run the final mile to average 6 miles per hour overall?
James

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sun May 18, 2003 7:02 pm

He will have to have a teleporter because he requires to run the last mile in 0.00s.

[hr]Management: The art of writing like you know what you're talking about and making others believe it.

I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby niall on Sun May 18, 2003 7:16 pm

[s]James wrote on 19:52, 18th May 2003:
Bob is running a 3 mile fun run. He looks at his watch after two miles and thinks, "Argh! I've only averaged 4 miles per hour, and I wanted to average 6 mph. I'll have to speed up!" He speeds up to try to get his average down.
How fast must he run the final mile to average 6 miles per hour overall?

10mph?

i should be able to work this out, but i've been revising maths all afternoon, numbers are evil...

[hr]
do you have a tastyspoon?

http://www.tastyspoon.com/forum
niall

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sun May 18, 2003 7:21 pm

If he has run two at 4 mph then he has taken 30 mins. In order to average 6mph over 3 miles u must run in 30 mins. He therefore has no time left.

munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Cain on Sun May 18, 2003 7:44 pm

is there any chance of us getting any answers soon, rather than more questions? like, how did the man not drown in his bathroom? or how did the other man get out of the room using only a rope and a deaf dog?

They would be much appreciated.
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Fun Run

Postby James on Mon May 19, 2003 9:22 am

The two who said it can't be done are right, as was explained: to run 2 in 30 minutes means that the last mile must be run in no time at all.
James

Re:

Postby kensson on Mon May 19, 2003 11:07 am

[s]Neferet wrote on 12:04, 18th May 2003:
Alfie, where Sue had had "had had," had had "had"; "had had" had had the teacher's approval.

Bravo! I was thinking this morning, you could contrive even longer ones by talking about this sentence:
Alfie, where Sue had had "had had 'had had'", had had "had 'had had'". "Had had 'had had'" had had the teacher's approval.
That's fifteen, and you could (if you were sufficiently perverse) keep adding 'had had's four at a time until you ran out of space on the internet.

Also, the anagram answer no-one got: "Drop suggestible wanker here" is an anagram of "President George Walker Bush". Aptly.
kensson

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Mon May 19, 2003 11:14 am

[s]kensson wrote on 12:07, 19th May 2003:
[s]Neferet wrote on 12:04, 18th May 2003:[i]
Alfie, where Sue had had "had had," had had "had"; "had had" had had the teacher's approval.

Bravo! I was thinking this morning, you could contrive even longer ones by talking about this sentence:
Alfie, where Sue had had "had had 'had had'", had had "had 'had had'". "Had had 'had had'" had had the teacher's approval.
That's fifteen, and you could (if you were sufficiently perverse) keep adding 'had had's four at a time until you ran out of space on the internet.

Also, the anagram answer no-one got: "Drop suggestible wanker here" is an anagram of "President George Walker Bush". Aptly.
[/i]

But surely there you're running into problems with tense. If they had written it, they would still have it.

[hr]
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. - Plato
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby James on Mon May 19, 2003 11:36 am

[s]Pilmour Boy wrote on 12:14, 19th May 2003:
[s]kensson wrote on 12:07, 19th May 2003:[i]
[s]Neferet wrote on 12:04, 18th May 2003:[i]

[/i]

But surely there you're running into problems with tense. If they had written it, they would still have it.

[hr]
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. - Plato
[/i]

Could they have both written, respectively, "had had" and "had" and then altered their words? So Sue had had "had had", but had changed it to something else, and Alfie, writing a similar sentence, had had "had", but had also altered it. Maybe each altered it to say what the other said, maybe they each changed itt o something entirely different, but it is possible.
James

Re:

Postby Biitchboy on Mon May 19, 2003 12:32 pm

[s]Cain wrote on 20:44, 18th May 2003:
is there any chance of us getting any answers soon, rather than more questions? like, how did the man not drown in his bathroom? or how did the other man get out of the room using only a rope and a deaf dog?

They would be much appreciated.

The man didn't drown 'cos he pulled the bathplug out.

[hr]
If I gave a shit, you'd be the first person I'd give it to.
Biitchboy

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon May 19, 2003 12:44 pm

In reply to the deaf dog one, all that info is rubbish. The house is a house. Incorrectly someone pointed out that if there was no walls he could just walk out. However if you read the question it actually says no internal walls. Which infers (being a house) that it still has external walls. KayBee had the correct answer. He walks through the Hole where the door should be. There is no door, but I said nothing about there not being a door way.

munchingfoo

Re:

Postby RichZ on Mon May 19, 2003 3:11 pm

[s]munchingfoo wrote on 13:44, 19th May 2003:
In reply to the deaf dog one, all that info is rubbish. The house is a house. Incorrectly someone pointed out that if there was no walls he could just walk out. However if you read the question it actually says no internal walls. Which infers (being a house) that it still has external walls. KayBee had the correct answer. He walks through the Hole where the door should be. There is no door, but I said nothing about there not being a door way.

NO you can't say that! Can you? You could answer the question equally well then by saying that he used a ladder which "happened to be lieing about, cos you didn't say there wasn't one. If you'd said that there was no windows, then does that mean there would be a hole there too etc etc?
RichZ

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board