Home

TheSinner.net

i need directions...

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

i need directions...

Postby highway_to_hell1982 on Wed May 14, 2003 11:09 am

where is scooniehill road? i am trying to find it on the map but it seems its not on there. can anyone give me directions to where it is starting from the union building please?

thanks!
highway_to_hell1982

Re:

Postby Mr Tickle on Wed May 14, 2003 11:22 am

If you walk out towards safeway from the union along bridge street, it is the last street you come to before you get to safeway :-) have fun

[hr]Are you tickly? if you are, be afraid, be very afraid.
Mr Tickle

Re:

Postby highway_to_hell1982 on Wed May 14, 2003 11:29 am

[s]Mr Tickle wrote on 12:22, 14th May 2003:
If you walk out towards safeway from the union along bridge street, it is the last street you come to before you get to safeway :-) have fun

[hr]Are you tickly? if you are, be afraid, be very afraid.

how far is it from safeways? its just that i only know certain parts of the town, mainly the university building areas, safeway seems far out the town. is the food in safeways any better than tescos or equally as crap? lol
highway_to_hell1982

Re:

Postby Thackary on Wed May 14, 2003 11:43 am

There is much more choice in Safeway, and they tend to have better offers.

When I first got to St Andrews, I'd never seen a Tesco Metro before, only the normal Tescos. So I asked the woman on the checkout what the difference was. She replied "It's just like a normal Tesco, except we don't sell the stuff you actually want".

Tesco no longer has a cheese counter, whereas Safeway has a deli, butcher, baker and chicken roasting thing.

Safeway's Reduced counter isn't that spectacular. The prices aren't reduced that much, but if you time it just right, you can get some excellent bargains in Tesco.

Safeway's fruit and veg doesn't seem to be as good quality as Tesco, but they have a greater selection of meats.

Booze prices are cheaper at Safeway...
Thackary

Re:

Postby James on Wed May 14, 2003 12:22 pm

OH MY GOODNESS!

An essay on the benefits of Safeway in comparison with Tesco - and all that was wanted was directions.
James

Re:

Postby Al on Wed May 14, 2003 12:24 pm

[s]Mr Tickle wrote on 12:22, 14th May 2003:

I must point out that you're being misleading here. The last street you come to before Safeway is John Knox Road. Scooniehill Road is the penultimate road before Safeway. It's about 5 minutes walk from there to Safeway.

[hr]
"Stupidity is the devil. Look in the eye of a chicken and you'll know. It's the most horrifying, cannibalistic, and nightmarish creature in this world."
Al

plug

Postby kensson on Wed May 14, 2003 12:34 pm

we know a song about that
http://www.kensson.com/
kensson

Re:

Postby Blessed Benediction on Wed May 14, 2003 12:38 pm

well if you start from the onion & head towards the all-night garage (next to the Whey Pat, opposite the South St arches) keep going along that road down a big drop & past on by the KFB then keep going. the road will twist & turn a bit but follow the same road making sure you don't accidentally turn off, by this point of walking you should be passing a couple of car selling places (this is a good thing it means you're on the right track & still on the right road) keep on keeping on going until you eventually hit a roundabout where Safeway should be standing. then go back the way you came & find that penultimate just after that John Knox Road place. i presume that should get you there with a bit of luck. if this is relevant at all still.

[hr]watches should have a smiley face on them as it's always time to be happy
Blessed Benediction

Re:

Postby Thackary on Wed May 14, 2003 1:38 pm

You think that was an essay?
You must be a scientist.
Thackary

Re:

Postby Mr Tickle on Wed May 14, 2003 3:07 pm

[s]Al wrote on 13:24, 14th May 2003:
[s]Mr Tickle wrote on 12:22, 14th May 2003:[i]

I must point out that you're being misleading here. The last street you come to before Safeway is John Knox Road. Scooniehill Road is the penultimate road before Safeway. It's about 5 minutes walk from there to Safeway.

[/i]

I must point out that you are also being a bit misleading, as it is about 1 min from safeway.

[hr]
Are you tickly? if you are, be afraid, be very afraid.
Mr Tickle

Re:

Postby Al on Wed May 14, 2003 4:54 pm

"I must point out that you are also being a bit misleading, as it is about 1 min from safeway."

Not really.

I believe that a) Scooniehill Road has two ends and, therefore, one end is appreciably further from Safeway than the other and b) some people walk quicker than others. Taking both these factors (together with the prevailing wind direction and the gradient of Scooniehill Road) into account I arrived at the carefully chosen figure of about 5 minutes.

You are just trying, unsuccessfully, to draw attention from your poor directions.

[hr]"Stupidity is the devil. Look in the eye of a chicken and you'll know. It's the most horrifying, cannibalistic, and nightmarish creature in this world."
Al

Re:

Postby Mr Tickle on Wed May 14, 2003 4:56 pm

[s]Al wrote on 17:54, 14th May 2003:
You are just trying, unsuccessfully, to draw attention from your poor directions.

My directions were not poor they were brief and easy...

seeing as i am not paid nor examined on my directions it does not matter too much :-)

EDIT: the road actually only has one end, i just checked the map :-)

[hr]
Mr Tickle

Re:

Postby Al on Wed May 14, 2003 5:00 pm

They may have been "brief" but as they were also wrong they cannot be described as "easy".

[hr]"Stupidity is the devil. Look in the eye of a chicken and you'll know. It's the most horrifying, cannibalistic, and nightmarish creature in this world."
Al

Re:

Postby Kitten on Wed May 14, 2003 5:41 pm

Would it not be more sensible to just say that it is the last road on the LEFT before you get to the roundabout that you first see safeway from?
nevermind about the money...it's the penguins he's after, the ones you've got hidden in yer wookie!
Kitten

Re:

Postby Blessed Benediction on Wed May 14, 2003 6:02 pm

probably, interesting use of the word sensible. often doesn't fit within the context of certain Sinner threads. the fact that folk are arguing over something so trivial seems to lie outside of the boundaries of my idea of sensible. maybe they just enjoy arguing. certainly ends up causing me very mild stress as a result though. if the world was sensible there would be peace & harmony (in my reasoning anyhow). hopefully the guy (general non-gender specific use of the word) found their way alright in amongst the squabbling.

Blessed Benediction

why walk

Postby stan on Wed May 14, 2003 6:23 pm

[s]highway_to_hell1982 wrote on 12:09, 14th May 2003:
where is scooniehill road? i am trying to find it on the map but it seems its not on there. can anyone give me directions to where it is starting from the union building please?

thanks!

why walk? why squabble? just go to the bus stop outside the union and jump on the first one that says 'scoonihil', sit back and relax.
stan

Re:

Postby Al on Wed May 14, 2003 6:48 pm

It may be trivial to you BB (by the way, please stop prattling on about "peace and harmony" all the time), and in the great scheme of things it probably is to everyone, but if someone is answering a request for directions then the least they could do is give the RIGHT directions. And if certain people were unintentionally wrong, they could at least have the decency to admit it instead of posting ridiculous statements about roads having only one end.

Al

Re:

Postby Blessed Benediction on Wed May 14, 2003 7:20 pm

well this bit seemed trivial:
They may have been "brief" but as they were also wrong they cannot be described as "easy".

however that's just my largely irrelevant take on things. otherwise peace &... oh. the way i see it, if folk group together & get on better then i wouldn't have to keep reminding folk to be peaceful & harmonious.

Blessed Benediction

Re:

Postby Mr Tickle on Wed May 14, 2003 8:20 pm

[s]Al wrote on 19:48, 14th May 2003:
It may be trivial to you BB (by the way, please stop prattling on about "peace and harmony" all the time), and in the great scheme of things it probably is to everyone, but if someone is answering a request for directions then the least they could do is give the RIGHT directions. And if certain people were unintentionally wrong, they could at least have the decency to admit it instead of posting ridiculous statements about roads having only one end.

The road technically only has one end as it changes name part way down, therefore that is not an end.

also my directions *I belive* would be satisafactory to find the road, while they may have been slightly unclear, as safeway is on john knox road it seems that to me that it is the last road before you get to safeway.

Sorry at times of revision i am random :-)

[hr]
Mr Tickle

Re:

Postby Al on Wed May 14, 2003 10:30 pm

I am not one to carry a pointless argument on for the sake of it. (Ahem!) But you are still wrong. Scooniehill Road does lead into Kilrymont Road. In this you are right. However, Scooniehill Road ends and Kilrymont Road begins. Therefore Scooniehill Road has two ends. Just like any other road. And to get to Safeway (from town on foot) one must either cross John Knox Road, or Largo Road at a point beyond the roundabout and then double back. Therefore the last road before Safeway is John Knox Road.

Al

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board