Home

TheSinner.net

Siena

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: Siena

Postby Frank on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:30 pm

I'm ambivalent about 'em and, I suspect, stand somewhere vaguely beside Charlie Brooker-cult on the matter. I.e. cynicism and 'Grrr!'. Had felt as much for the while I was there and now I'm technically 'gone' am consenting to be 'tapped as a network resource' (if I'm getting my management speak right) in sporting an amusing photo for facebook.

If a candidate was to tap through the 'buzz' and find the other side of it (i.e. akin to Newswipe's breakdown of formulaic news reports), I imagine that would attract a certain amount of appraisal from otherwise 'disillusioned' folks. Couldn't really work much more than once.

Still, beyond that, you can't deny the necessity of a degree of...razmatazz? (Bleargh) Colourful, catchy campaigns might help, but I'm not sure if anyone's done any sort of checking on whether it's not a bad move too. Or an ineffective move. Anyone know much on any sort of evidence-based politics?
Frank

Postby Glitter_glue on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:13 pm

I've seen lots of advertising by this Siena girl but still have no idea what she'd do if she was elected :roll: Happy, fluffy videos are great but I want a DoRep(?) who will sort out the problems between students and the Uni and not just ask students/Uni officials to write down their happiest memory on a whiteboard and expect everything to be hunky-dory :ninja:
Glitter_glue

Postby donpablo on Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:30 am

Don't those annoying chalk scribblings everywhere really just amount to vandalsim according to some law? Great rep for the uni/union.
donpablo

Postby DACrowe on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:11 am

Haunted wrote:Almost to the point where I have a good mind to vote for 'anyone else' just to make the point clear that I do not enjoy being pandered to like the lowest common denominator the producers of those tacky videos seem to think I am.

Not a sentiment expressible by anyone who listened to the DoR hecklings. If you didn't listen check it out; it's some of the best live comedy I've seen in St Andrews.
DACrowe

Postby sparker on Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:06 am

I am very glad that everyone is getting so involved in elections; they are such an important part of this university and not enough people take the time to vote and to discuss policies.
I realise that I have not used policies as my main selling point; this is not to say I do not have them. This is simply a response to the nature of elections in St Andrews where many students are attracted by good publicity, and then check out your policies. For an overview you can see my facebook group and also my website http://www.wix.com/anyoneforsiena/Anyone-for-Siena. I also have an hour every day from 2-3pm in Beanscene where I would absolutely love you to come and discuss what you would like from your next Director of Representation with me.

The reason I have used a video to promote myself is to make people smile, and as I know I have the substance and the policies to be able to do this I see publicity as a hook to get people to read about my policies. I will post on the 'elections' thread my policies in brief so please take a look.

Chalking is a technique I used to get people talking. It is 100% legal and I had permission not only from the senior elections officer, but went into the police station and asked. Writing on public pavements is only illegal if it is permanent, or offensive.

I am taking this election very seriously, and realise the responsibilities which come alongside being a DOR. I know have a lot of fantastic policies and new ideas and the video was used to make people read them.
sparker

Postby donpablo on Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:56 pm

Does anyone know if STAR will be uploading the Hecklings?

I missed the end (DoR onwards) but the beginning was really interesting and made me sure who to vote for in each of the positions, so it would be good to listen to the end.

I take the point that it is legal (if non permanent) and appreciate you took the time to find out. Always good to know either way, somehow makes it less annoying if people aren't just assuming, but the town does look like one horribly failed Art Attack project at the moment. A large number of candidates are also guilty of this. Seems the police have been in contact with the printers lately about the number of flyers and posters that go up around town illegally so I thought I'd bring it up (also really annoying but it still happens).
donpablo

Postby Impreza_Noobie on Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:29 pm

What a controversial topic!
Please let me add my thoughts and clarifications regarding the video. :ninja:

As an Advertising graduate, I recognise Seina's advertisment as a soft sell. Soft sell refers to an advertising technique where down-to-earth, funny, friendly, and emotional-focused messages are integrated then shown to the viewers. Basically, Siena is probably trying to think 'outside the box' and instead of creating something that would bore us all, she thought 'outside the box' and presented us with a creative video.

Therefore, from a creative standpoint, there is nothing wrong in adding outlandish twists to the video. But I think it depends on the extent of seriousness in this election - a high-involvement voters would probably be attracted to constructive videos (hard sell) whereas low-involvement voters would simply adore the funny message from the advertisement (soft sell).

The real challenge for the candidates in implementing the soft sell technique would be: can the candidates create a favorable video that not only entertains but also persuades viewers to understand the intended message of the advertisement whilst tolerating the offended contents.
Intel i7 965 Extreme Edition
Asus Rampage 2 Extreme
2 x ATi 4870x2 in Crossfire (4 GPUs)
Patriot DDR3 6GB Triple Channel
3 'Black' edition Western Digitals @ Raid 0 (2.4 TB Storage)
1000w Corsair Modular Power supply
http://www.fotiacomputers.com/
Impreza_Noobie

Postby boxbox on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:17 pm

I like that you have come forward yourself in response to all the negative feedback against your video, something a DoRep needs to do- and before I sound too kissy-uppy, I did give it a bad rating on YouTube sorry!
boxbox

Postby DACrowe on Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:35 pm

donpablo wrote:Does anyone know if STAR will be uploading the Hecklings?

I missed the end (DoR onwards) but the beginning was really interesting and made me sure who to vote for in each of the positions, so it would be good to listen to the end.

I take the point that it is legal (if non permanent) and appreciate you took the time to find out. Always good to know either way, somehow makes it less annoying if people aren't just assuming, but the town does look like one horribly failed Art Attack project at the moment. A large number of candidates are also guilty of this. Seems the police have been in contact with the printers lately about the number of flyers and posters that go up around town illegally so I thought I'd bring it up (also really annoying but it still happens).

It's now up on STAR, as are the other sabb hustings. http://www.standrewsradio.com/audio
DACrowe

Postby rham on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:04 pm

Perhaps its me, but the candidates speak to and are largely from Arts. Any science students take the same view?
Never trust a camel or anything else that can go for a week without a drink
rham

Postby wild_quinine on Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:33 am

DisappoinTED.
wild_quinine

Postby RedCelt69 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:33 am

wild_quinine wrote:DisappoinTED.

UnelecTED?
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby starsandsparkles on Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:21 pm

I am still completely in shock that Phil Pass was re-elected.
starsandsparkles

Postby FATOO8 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:26 pm

The best part about elections is FREE FOOD, oh, how much I love the free food!

RedCelt69 wrote:
wild_quinine wrote:DisappoinTED.

UnelecTED?

Hehehe man thats so funny!

And yeah the Sherlock Holmes youtube video was fantastic, well done!
FATOO8

Postby Delts on Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:27 pm

starsandsparkles wrote:I am still completely in shock that Phil Pass was re-elected.

I'm not, he was by far the best candidate and has done a really good job from what I've seen/heard this year. Far better than previous years DoServs have done. I'm surprised it was as close as it was, but then not being in St Andrews I did miss all the campaigning which I believe Phil didn't partake in to that great an extent.
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby starsandsparkles on Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:49 pm

Delts wrote:
starsandsparkles wrote:I am still completely in shock that Phil Pass was re-elected.

I'm not, he was by far the best candidate and has done a really good job from what I've seen/heard this year. Far better than previous years DoServs have done. I'm surprised it was as close as it was, but then not being in St Andrews I did miss all the campaigning which I believe Phil didn't partake in to that great an extent.

I'm sorry, but what? Last night was the first time I've set foot in the union (in the evening) since before Christmas. This year in the union has been exactly the same as all the others I've been here for. Nothing original and nothing particularly exciting.

Not to mention that every time Phil Pass spoke at the hecklings I wanted to kill myself from the sheer boredom and barely bothering to run a campaign is not particularly promising either.
starsandsparkles

Postby Delts on Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:53 pm

starsandsparkles wrote:Last night was the first time I've set foot in the union (in the evening) since before Christmas.

So yeah, that may be an issue there.

[edit] It also sounds like you may have a problem with ADHD if you get bored during a single person at hecklings, might want to get that checked. [/edit]
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby starsandsparkles on Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Delts wrote:So yeah, that may be an issue there.

[edit] It also sounds like you may have a problem with ADHD if you get bored during a single person at hecklings, might want to get that checked. [/edit]

Mature response, well done.

Phil Pass has been in his position since 1st July 2009: I think July-Christmas was enough time for me to judge how awful he has been. Since Christmas there has been nothing worth going to. If the union was truly good the whole town would be talking about it (or, you know, there'd be some actual events with actual advertising).
starsandsparkles

Postby Chalk on Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:01 pm

On chalk drawings being 100% legal....

That's not actually true. I don't know who told you that, but they are wrong.

Hardman v Chief Constable of Avon and Somerset Constabulary [1986] Crim LR330 clearly shows that even SOLUBLE chalk drawings/writings made on a public pavement can be construed as Simple Criminal Damage under s1(1) of the Criminal Damage Act 1971.

You will get away with it so long as the local Council doesn't have to pay any money to get it cleaned up - if no money is expended removing the chalk drawings, then no 'damage' has been caused.

However, if a complaint was made against and the Council took action to clean up the pavement in question then the individual responsible could face conviction - and, if you are a foreign student in the UK on a VISA I don't believe you need me to tell you what the consequences of this could be...

Chalky
Chalk

Postby Rennie... on Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:24 pm

It's good to see things never change...
Rennie...

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board