Home

TheSinner.net

Lumsden Club?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Lumsden Club?

Postby petunia_loves_flower-pots on Wed May 21, 2003 10:39 pm

I've applied for st.andrews and hope to be going there in the autumn. When browsing the websites I came across references to the lumsden club, could someone please fill me in on what this is about?

Hugs and kisses,
Petunia
petunia_loves_flower-pots

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Wed May 21, 2003 11:10 pm

OK, heres the deal. St Andrews has had a club called the KK which is like an elitist male club. Its kind of gone for ever, and is controversial for these reasons:
1)Membership is by invitation only
2)Only men can join
3)Seemingly, only posh people 'yahs' can join. (this might start a heated debate!)
The lumsden club is for yah females who feel left out and want to have dinner parties and champagne receptions. But its new.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu May 22, 2003 1:57 pm

I actually wanted to be part of the Lumsden Club but didn't know it had started until it was too late (once something's been printed in the Saint, you know it's about two months old) and was disappointed to see that for the first year of recruitment, they only asked for first years. At least for the first recruitment year, they should have allowed other years in as well. I'm thinking about starting up my own all female dining club. If all the males can spawn all of the other more secret and some say more selective societies, I should be able to also.

Re:

Postby Curiosity Killed the Cat on Thu May 22, 2003 5:16 pm

Rather than starting up a female dining club, why don't you just invite people who are your friends and interest you around for dinner?
What exactly is this obsession with having a 'club'?
I remember when I was at primary school, we used to have special little clubs that only certain people could join... but we're now at University and hopefully a bit more mature than that?
Next I'm going to read that a certain secret handshake is going to be required before you can get past the front door, instead of the usual bottle of wine!
Curiosity Killed the Cat

Re: Lumsden Club

Postby Victoria Burns on Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:39 am

Please learn how to spell etiquette.

The Lumsden Club was established just over 2 years ago (2002.) It now consists of 43 girls who give their time to help charity, particularly those involving women and children.

The club helps many local and international charities by giving time and money, such as East Fife Womens Aid, Argyll Court and Akanksha childrens charity.

It has very little to do with dinner parties etc.

Recruitment takes part for 1st years, look out for the stall at the socieites fayre on Sun 26th Sept 2004 or contact lumsdenclub@hotmail.com
Victoria Burns

Re:

Postby TheUnixKid on Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:10 pm

"The lumsden club is for yah females who feel left out and want to have dinner parties and champagne receptions. But its new. "

Good to see you based your comments on PURE fact there...

If there is one thing I hate more than snobbery it is inverted snobbery.
TheUnixKid

Re:

Postby blinkey on Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:37 pm

[s]Unregisted User Victoria Burns wrote on 19:23, 7th Sep 2004:
Please learn how to spell etiquette.

Wow, you've sold it to me now.
blinkey

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:35 pm

The Saint's then-Editor, Mr Collin, described the Lumsden Club on its foundation as "the shit-idea club". But I think people must make up their own minds.

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Midget on Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:37 pm

Their Pimms party was good. I got very drunk.

[hr]IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg
Midget

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:03 pm

Yes, me too.And why is this being dredged up from the grave. Have you no decency?

[hr]“If a man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty.” Ancient Japanese Proverb
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:34 pm

As someone said earlier on this thread - why a club? Why not just dine with friends?

When I was sharing a flat with Mr Wilson, he and I invited friends to dinner on a more or less weekly basis - thus becoming (without special ties or notepaper) the only regular, functioning 'dining club' in town.

And the food was good. Unlike certain other clubs I could mention which eschew good food in favour of the Ardgowan's abominable fare. And shaft their members royally for the privilege. Ah well, times change, etc.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:57 pm

I guess that Petunia (roflmao) is probably a yah. She will fit in well at the club.

Re:

Postby TheUnixKid on Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:43 pm

Does it really make a difference if it is a club? As far as I am aware there is no harm in the club existing. At least they bother attempting to be charitible, which I would guess is a lot more than anyone on here does. Including myself.

Yah. Car. Bar. Myanmar. Live is just a tad too short.
TheUnixKid

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:25 pm

In all honesty the KK has its merits/bad points and does things - eg the annual procession.
the Lumsden club is quite simply a wannabe club. Anyone can hold a party and get people pissed for charity - why do you need to be in a club to do it? i doubt very much whether the clubs members do much else for charity. do they help out in charity shops etc? were they involved in charity work before? have they ever got their hands dirty for a charity?

Re:

Postby TheUnixKid on Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:48 pm

As far as I am aware, charity is about providing money for those in need. It is not defined by how dirty you get in the process.

The 'problem' here does not seem to be with the society, its charity work or its aims. It seems to be with the individual members who all appear to have been judged in an incredibly ignorant and stereotypical way.

More inverse snobbery! Wooo hoooo!
TheUnixKid

Re:

Postby TheUnixKid on Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:52 pm

I personally do not believe that you have to be part of a club or society to prove your love for charity, political orientation, social status, etc, but if some people want to do that WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?
TheUnixKid

Re:

Postby Miss Maryland on Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:43 am

Maybe the problem is that sometimes certain members of these sorts of clubs tend to show off their wealth in a rather obnoxious way and expect to get royal treatment- when you don't have that kind of money it is alot more obvious when other people are acting this way. Of course most don't, but that doesn't mean that there are a few bad apples in the barrell that are very spoiled indeed.

[hr]
...and there was much rejoicing.
...and there was much rejoicing.
Miss Maryland

Re:

Postby md25 on Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:21 am

http://www.geocities.com/lumen540/ - I came across that site while hunting through Wikipedia, apparently it's the club the KK wish they were.

Also, has anyone ever seen The Mitre, which is apparently to The Saint what The Telegraph is to The Sun - http://www.andrewcusack.com/mitre/ - that's the first I've heard of it!
md25

Re:

Postby Tyler Fincher on Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:50 am

http://www.geocities.com/lumen540/
That was hilarious. With lines like "best known secret societies" you have to appreciate it.

[hr]
IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~adgc/avatar.JPG
Tyler Fincher

Re:

Postby Al on Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:39 am

What a fascinating article. It's all beginning to fall into place now.

[hr]Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Al

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board