Home

TheSinner.net

Kazaa on ResNet

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Kazaa on ResNet

Postby Mr T needs work on Thu May 22, 2003 7:58 am

Those of you on ResNet... Are you still using Kazaa and other P2P software?
I was told by someone in IT services that the university is being sued because its students have been using the network for downloading and sharing illegal music and movies...
Somehow, I doubt this... If they can track illegal downloads, then surely larger universities will stand out more that St. Andrews. In fact, with the millions of people online using it at once all over the world, how can it be beneficial to try and track down anyone???
But my question remains, can you still use P2P software it on ResNet?
Mr T needs work

Re:

Postby teamonkey on Thu May 22, 2003 9:50 am

1. You are in breach of your signed agreement with ITS if you use file sharing utilities on ResNet.

2. Large media companies have the ability to track IP addresses of downloads. You each have an individual IP on ResNet, and ITS owns the netblock. This means that if you are caught sharing a particular file, it is perfectly obvious to everybody that it's you who's doing it.

3. The media companies aren't just picking on St Andrews, they're picking on everybody, but universities are a good target because they particularly don't want to get involved in expensive legal battles.

Can everyone just leave this topic alone? Not a week goes by...
teamonkey

Re:

Postby Mr T needs work on Thu May 22, 2003 10:47 am

[s]teamonkey wrote on 10:50, 22nd May 2003:
Can everyone just leave this topic alone? Not a week goes by...

First of all, calm down mate... not everyone reads this message board all the time... I haven't seen a thread about it myself and don't feel like riffling through 100s of past threads to find one. Thanks for the info though.
I just don't think that the University should be sued for what its students do. Even though it provides the internet service, it doesn't make people download illegal material. My ISP does not stop me from usin P2P software. Why aren't ISPs being attacked? And if they are, I'm sure they'd start telling customers not to use P2P software. We are all over 18 so shouldn't the law come after us?
Mr T needs work

Re:

Postby Mr T needs work on Thu May 22, 2003 10:59 am

[s]teamonkey wrote on 10:50, 22nd May 2003:
2. Large media companies have the ability to track IP addresses of downloads. You each have an individual IP on ResNet, and ITS owns the netblock. This means that if you are caught sharing a particular file, it is perfectly obvious to everybody that it's you who's doing it.

Surely this can be bipassed by setting your LAN setting to use an anonymous proxy server?
Mr T needs work

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Thu May 22, 2003 11:00 am

Teammonkey is right - there have been hundreds of threads like this.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Mr T needs work on Thu May 22, 2003 11:08 am

[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 12:00, 22nd May 2003:
Teammonkey is right - there have been hundreds of threads like this.

Fair enough, but not everyone is a sinner message board regular, so forgive the repetition and just help those who are new and want to find out about something. ;-)
Mr T needs work

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Thu May 22, 2003 11:50 am

And it is practically impossible to find past threads unless you really have a spare 20 minutes, which at this time of the year no one does.

If you are of the opinion that you should say there have been past threads go and look it up. If not, then just let the man ask his question, no?
Pussycat

Re:

Postby Nickel on Thu May 22, 2003 12:05 pm

maybe we should have a faq
Nickel

Re:

Postby HappyCamper on Thu May 22, 2003 12:09 pm

If you use normal Kazaa then a lot of spyware gets installed onto your computer which gathers information about what you download. The media companies then buy this information from the Kazaa company and use it to report to ResNET, people who are downloading illegal files.

If you use Kazaa Lite then none of this spyware gets installed and so the media companies shouldn't be aware of what you're downloading. I've been using Lite all year and had no trouble from ResNET, but I know people who have normal Kazaa and have downloaded the exact same things as me, but have received letters from ResNET saying that if they don't stop then they will have their connection removed.
HappyCamper

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Thu May 22, 2003 12:32 pm

Whether you use kazza lite or kazaa you can be traced if you are sharing files. If you are not sharing files then you can't be traced whether or not you use kazaa or kazaa lite. Film companies download their own films and then can see where they are coming from, ie your IP. They then get in tough with RESnet and you recieve a warning e-mail.

Therefore using kazaa lite together with kazaa hack, you can download fairly safely and quickly without sharing any files on your pc.
Pussycat

Re:

Postby rubbermuffin on Thu May 22, 2003 12:33 pm

Did anyone see NME this week. There was an article detailing cases in America where students were raided (drugs stylee) for their computers and sued for downloading music and films. They were fined $750 for each download. There was an out of court settlement of something like $12,000.

There is now currently a crackdown at british universities, and they've already started at Oxford and Manchester. So I'd be afraid if I was you. Very afraid.

For the full story check out the NME. Obviously you'll read it in the shop rather than buy it, cos you're a bunch of freeloaders.

[hr]'I said I wasn't blaming Jesus or anything. It wasn't His fault that He didn't have any time.'
'If something has to change then it always does'
rubbermuffin

Re:

Postby RaphX on Thu May 22, 2003 12:49 pm

I wouldn't feel the need to use Kazaalite, if I could play games :X

[hr]IMAGE:audiotracker.bamboozled.org/remote/song.php/RaphX

and on the eighth day, we bulldozed it.
RaphX

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Thu May 22, 2003 12:54 pm

Most people aren't daft enough to keep their downloaded films on their pc. And as for games, those could be back up copies, and as for music they could be of your cds you lost years ago.

By the time people have turned up and gone to get a search warrant there would be nothing left for them to use against you.

It's illegal to tape something off the tv and keep it for more than 6 weeks. I don't see them enforcing that one.
Pussycat

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Thu May 22, 2003 1:52 pm

[s]Pussycat wrote on 13:54, 22nd May 2003:
Most people aren't daft enough to keep their downloaded films on their pc. And as for games, those could be back up copies, and as for music they could be of your cds you lost years ago.

By the time people have turned up and gone to get a search warrant there would be nothing left for them to use against you.

But thanks to the wonderful ways of computers, it's eminently possible for someone to tell what files you've had on your computer even after you've deleted them ('deleting' just marks the files as something that can be written over if needs be, doesn't actually wipe them out) and with IP tracking on downloads they can tell what you downloaded even if you don't have the files anymore.
[hr][s]Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
Hate me 'cause I'm such a cunt.[/s]
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Oli on Thu May 22, 2003 1:56 pm

[s]Nickel wrote on 13:05, 22nd May 2003:
maybe we should have a faq

There is an FAQ section in the Sinner's Guide to St Andrews.

If someone would be willing to write a short piece explaining the details of this recurring question, then I will happily add it to the FAQ list.

http://www.thesinner.co.uk/article-view.php?article=7
Oli

Re:

Postby HappyCamper on Thu May 22, 2003 2:07 pm

[s]Pussycat wrote on 13:32, 22nd May 2003:
Whether you use kazza lite or kazaa you can be traced if you are sharing files. If you are not sharing files then you can't be traced whether or not you use kazaa or kazaa lite. Film companies download their own films and then can see where they are coming from, ie your IP. They then get in tough with RESnet and you recieve a warning e-mail.

Therefore using kazaa lite together with kazaa hack, you can download fairly safely and quickly without sharing any files on your pc.

but you cant share files over the resnet firewall anyway so they must be able to get information on what you download.

As for the files not being erased thing. A full format should do the trick and get rid of them ;-)
HappyCamper

Re:

Postby Thackary on Thu May 22, 2003 2:24 pm

You'd be surprised Happy Camper.
A lot of information is retained even after you've formatted...
Thackary

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Thu May 22, 2003 2:24 pm

[s]HappyCamper wrote on 15:07, 22nd May 2003:
but you cant share files over the resnet firewall anyway so they must be able to get information on what you download.

I'm pretty sure you can on kazaa no? The fact that it works through port 80 is the whole reason it is the only p2p file sharing program that gets round the firewall (with the exception of tunneling). In that case surely what comes in can go out?
Pussycat

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Thu May 22, 2003 2:30 pm

[s]The_Farwall wrote on 14:52, 22nd May 2003:

But thanks to the wonderful ways of computers, it's eminently possible for someone to tell what files you've had on your computer even after you've deleted them ('deleting' just marks the files as something that can be written over if needs be, doesn't actually wipe them out)

But thanks to the wonderful ways of computers...there are programs available for deleting files that not only delete them from the catalogue but delete them from your hard drive. Or you can simply delete the files and then stuff your hard drive full of other files so that any previous is information is written over, but the first method is more effective.
Pussycat

Re:

Postby Nickel on Thu May 22, 2003 2:44 pm

[s]Thackary wrote on 15:24, 22nd May 2003:
You'd be surprised Happy Camper.
A lot of information is retained even after you've formatted...

not if you zero format

[s]Pussycat wrote on 15:24, 22nd May 2003:
I'm pretty sure you can on kazaa no? ... .... In that case surely what comes in can go out?

Wouldnt have thought so. As far as I'm aware, the resnet firewall doesnt allow any incoming connections, only outgoing.

--
nickel
Nickel

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board