Home

TheSinner.net

Spraying people after exams

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Spraying people after exams

Postby anonymous on Fri May 23, 2003 4:50 pm

just to let everyone know..

I was outside younger hall at 5pm today when the 4th year history exam finished. Despite all the university warnings, there were about 200 students waiting to soak their mates.

The only people I saw getting into any kind of trouble were the people throwing flour etc.. the things that we've never been allowed to do.

On a personal note, I can understand why the university is trying to stop us spraying fizzy drinks, as they do make a mess. Water on the other hand doesnt. I can't see how spraying someone with a super-soaker, for example could ever be illegal...
anonymous

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Fri May 23, 2003 5:24 pm

To answer your question. The university are claiming that by spraying anything (be it champagne or water), someone can technically do you for assault - especially if it's a local.

Also they have had incidences of people running away from a potential soaking and running straight in to the road, thus risking an accident and annoying the locals. The uni are also worried about the possibility of groups of over excited individulas knocking down old ladies in the street.

Basically, the uni is watching its own back and they just want to improve town and gown relations...blah blah blah.
harmless loony

Re:

Postby marsbarboy on Fri May 23, 2003 10:06 pm

The university cannot stop you spraying water, but the police can. It's called a breach of the peace.
marsbarboy

Re:

Postby anonymous on Sat May 24, 2003 10:55 am

[s]marsbarboy wrote on 23:06, 23rd May 2003:
The university cannot stop you spraying water, but the police can. It's called a breach of the peace.

How come water pisols are legal then?
anonymous

Re:

Postby jennyo on Sat May 24, 2003 5:00 pm

Today we sprayed people
1. outside the sports hall
2. at the quad

at the sports hall, a janitor stuck his head in our car and yelled at us to 'get off university property with all those bottles' (we had one bottle of water). so we did, but when people started coming out everyone ran up and sprayed them in the carpark anyway.

at the quad, they made us stand in front of the OUD but again, everyone ran up to where people were coming out of the quad (under the arch) to spray them and no one seemed too bothered, even though some people were spraying gross stuff like milkshakes. One of the janitors even went around with a bin bag to throw empties in. We were well impressed, especially considering Mean Janitor #1 was there. Thank you Nice Janitor #2!

ANYWAY it doesn't seem like anyone's too bothered about us spraying various beverages, so go ahead I guess.

[hr]On a rainy day when the wind gets wild
My untamed mind wakes up -Tagore
Do those under a risk of death by metor run some thus-far indefinite risk of longrun meteorisation?
- David Bean
jennyo

Re:

Postby Cam on Sun May 25, 2003 3:10 pm

[s]Unregisted User anonymous wrote on 01:21, 24th May 2003:
[s]marsbarboy wrote on 23:06, 23rd May 2003:[i]

How come water pisols are legal then?
[/i]

That is because both people who are getting sprayed are willing to have it done to them, but if while you used the pistols you sprayed someone who didn't want sprayed... you get done!!
Cam

Re:

Postby anonymous on Sun May 25, 2003 11:21 pm

[s]Unregisted User Cam wrote on 15:05, 25th May 2003:
That is because both people who are getting sprayed are willing to have it done to them, but if while you used the pistols you sprayed someone who didn't want sprayed... you get done!!

Well.. exams finnishing is probably one of the few times when people definately *do* want to be sprayed. Therefore it can't be illegal, as long as you spray your (consenting) friends and no-one else.
anonymous

Re:

Postby cam on Mon May 26, 2003 11:29 am

[s]Unregisted User anonymous wrote on 17:33, 25th May 2003:

Well.. exams finnishing is probably one of the few times when people definately *do* want to be sprayed. Therefore it can't be illegal, as long as you spray your (consenting) friends and no-one else.

That is the point I was making, but thanks for pointing out that step that noone would have been able to achieve without you to help.
That being the only reason the police are there!!
cam

Re:

Postby Dj Balloon on Mon May 26, 2003 11:41 am

I think they're also there to stop people from jumping out into the road. Judging by their over the top screaming at my last exam...
Arse arsonist's forfeit refreshment
Dj Balloon

Return to The Sinner's Main Board