Home

TheSinner.net

Harry Potter Language Question

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Harry Potter Language Question

Postby Guest on Sat May 24, 2003 10:55 am

I've been reading this at a few different sites, and I want to know if anyone knows for sure if it's true. Did certain scenes in the Potter movies get filmed twice to allow for language differences? I know the books did, but not sure about the films. I can't find this as fact anywhere, just up on random webpages.

Thanks.

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Sat May 24, 2003 11:45 am

A few in The Philosopher's Stone for the American verison did, as there it is called the Sorcerer's Stone. Which defeats the major point of the title, but there you go. It meant some had to be filmed twice- first with the phrase 'Philosopher's Stone' and the rest with 'Sorcerer's Stone'.

As far as I know, that's the only refilming that was done.

[hr][s]"Hey Mr. DJ, I just wanna hear some rhythm and blues music on the radio" [/s]
[i:1wp3kko0]Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
[/i:1wp3kko0]
LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby Plette on Sat May 24, 2003 12:31 pm

I know that happens with some other movies...for example, in the British "Bridget Jones's Diary" Rene Zwelwhateverhernameis vows to "always put yesterday's pants in the laundry basket," but in the North American version it's changed to "underpants" or "panties" or something, because to Americans and Canadians pants=trousers.

[hr]Sola lingua bona est lingua morta.
Sola lingua bona est lingua morta.
Plette

Re:

Postby Pam on Sat May 24, 2003 2:31 pm

In the same vein as above - in the second movie they changes Ginny's comment about her jumper to sweater (or something more North American) seeing as jumper is decidedly british. Just small changes, nothing to make the meaning different, just to reflect minor cultural differences.
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is definately not for you!
Pam

Return to The Sinner's Main Board