Home

TheSinner.net

Hey kids, remember me?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Hey kids, remember me?

Postby Lazy Mutha on Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:50 pm

Alright, so it's been an insanely long time since I've posted. Like a bastard, I've decided to turn down my offer at St. A's, and go for the U of Edinburgh instead. After a very long year of procrastination, I've actually booked my tickets and will be there in the fall. Obviously I'm asking the wrong crowd, but I'm hoping there will be a few well-informed chaps willing to help. Has anyone been inside any of the accomodation at the U of E? Any general comments on the scene? I'm grasping at straws here, people, so anything you can give me, I'll be grateful for. Thanks!
Lazy Mutha

Re:

Postby Valen_gr on Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:18 pm

University of edinburgh has one MASSIVE complex of residences.Pollock halls.They are fine, rooms are not that big, but it seems like a nice place.I have spent a few days there and it was fun :-)
There is a strong community inside the hall, with the moonbar and all.
Enjoy your stay there!
[hr]where's spoon????
-There is no spoon!!
[i:3qoywpzu]Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe....[/i:3qoywpzu]
Valen_gr

Re:

Postby Rrrr on Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:54 pm

They also have cool flats, that are mixed sex, which could be cool, there quite central too, I was planning on staying in them if I didn;t get into St A's.

[hr]"We can't condone your violent motives so we'll have to force ourselves to forget they exist."
[b:7vpvjwv1]Splat![/b:7vpvjwv1]
Rrrr

Re:

Postby Life's Rich Pageant on Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:49 pm

I'm currently doing a Masters degree at the university of Edinburgh and have its accommodation services to be far more helpful than that of St Andrews. It seems that 1st year students have a far greater say in what type of hall they would like to stay in. Should you wish to live in a flat then they can look for one on your behalf (both Univesity-owned and approved private ones). I'd agree with Valen_gr that the Polloks halls are very good.

As far as the scene in general goes, I could only really comment on half of it. If you are doing an arts degree, then you will find yourself spending most of your time in the Old Town area which hosts a huge number of book shops, pubs, cafes, museums and University departments. (Not to mention the Potter's Row and Teviot student unions).

Otherwise I found the University's website to be very informative, on which you can also complete online applications for all types of accommodation.

Hope that helps and best wishes for a fine time in Edinburgh.
Life's Rich Pageant

Return to The Sinner's Main Board