Home

TheSinner.net

Student discount and Top Shop

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Student discount and Top Shop

Postby Sarah on Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:19 pm

Any union people here able to clarify this? When I buy from Top Shop I always ask for the 10% student discount, and mostly they think nothing of it - 100% of the time in Dundee Top Shop it's fine. But today in my home branch the girl said she couldn't accept my matric card as it wasn't NUS. I gave her an innocent, disappointed look, and she said okay, just this once. But am I entitled to Top Shop's discount or not? Are they allowed to discriminate aginst non-NUS students? I know it's only Top Shop but I like being pikey and getting discounts wherever I can!

Sarah
Sarah

Re:

Postby Thackary on Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:20 pm

They can offer the discount to whoever they want. NUS or not.

Yes, it's unfair that because St Andrews isn't affiliated to the NUS, we can't get NUS-specific discounts, but it's entirely up to them whether they knock a bit off their prices.

If they advertise student discount, without any mention of NUS, then I believe they should offer you the discount.

However, as with all shops and restaurants, they are not obliged to sell you anything, discounted or not. If they decide they don't like the look of you, they can simply refuse.

Chances are they won't do that though, as it's bad for business, and not very friendly.

In answer to your question, you're lucky if you get away with it, but you're not entitled to it.
Thackary

Re:

Postby Amanda on Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:33 pm

they usually have a sign up in the shop clarifying it - in the st andrews post office, they say that you get discount with an NUS card. in my local cinema, their sign used to say discount with NUS card, but after i complained (mwahaha) the sign now says that discount is given to anyone with a valid student card. good thing too, i resent paying more than a fiver for a cinema ticket. um, so yeah.
[s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
Amanda

Re:

Postby James Baster on Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:51 pm

ISIC Cards from the travel office are NUS if a shop gets really stubborn.

But if they advertise a "Student Discount" then they should give it to you.
James Baster

Return to The Sinner's Main Board