Home

TheSinner.net

mcintosh hall

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:24 am

yeah, you're screwed.

[hr]I love cheese.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:26 am

Hold on! That was in response to personcoming and not for any other previous post!
Just had to clear that up.

Cain, did you know Richard last year? He lived all the way at the end of the corridor, very nice, Scottish, a little older. He's a good guy.

[hr]I love cheese.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Colin on Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:55 am

Wow, a thread on chattan onto its second page before I post on it. Getting slow in my old age! Or been too busy graduating to be online (seeing as how I only do that while I'm at work, and I took last week off).

Anyway, Chattan (aka McIntosh Hall) is a great place to live. I did for four years, and its only by changing the locks that they have got rid of me at all (they have you know. I like to think I am responsible). It has a really good spirit that you don't get in some bigger halls - nearly everyone is friendly, and you can always find someone you know within a minute or so of wandering around when bored.

Check out chattans website at http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~chattan . It hasn't been updated much since I handed over control of it last summer, but it contains lots of useful stuff. You can also e-mail the hall committee (chattan@st-and.ac.uk), who will probably be answering queries.

Chattan really is a wonderful place. You will definitely enjoy it, I know that the senior student and his deputy for next year have a lot of good ideas already, and they are great people.

Have fun there!
Colin

Re:

Postby Colin on Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:04 am

[s]Unregisted User personcoming wrote on 18:25, 29th Jun 2003:
im quite particular about food, maybe if someone could give me a sample menu or something please.

i am female by the way to whoever it was that asked.

The food gets a lot of bad press. Which is not undeserved, as it is normally nothing special and occasionally downright awful. BUT it is some of the best food you get in any St Andrews residence, and it is generally edible if not particularly tasty. Remember that the budget they have to work to works out at something around 50p per person per meal. If you consider that, the variety and quality is quite amazing. You get a balanced diet (especially if you dont avoid the salad bar and veg option religiously, but thats just me) which is probably better than you could prepare for yourself on the same money.

And the social aspect of meal times makes it all worthwhile!

Just remember - avoid the Jambalaya and and the fishy pasta, and you will be fine!
Colin

To personcoming

Postby KateBush on Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:38 am

What room are you in?

THe food is ok--they even cater for vegans. i have soya milk with my cereal!You'll be *fine*

[hr]intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Another one

Postby anotherpersoncoming on Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:27 pm

Personcoming, I too have been given a place at chattan for next year. Don't know room number or floor number yet but I am in a twin room! Presumably (and unfortunately) not with you as i wouldn't imaging that girls and boys share a room! Look forward to meeting you in september!
anotherpersoncoming

Re:

Postby KateBush on Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:00 pm

[s]Unregisted User anotherpersoncoming wrote on 13:21, 30th Jun 2003:
Personcoming, I too have been given a place at chattan for next year. Don't know room number or floor number yet but I am in a twin room! Presumably (and unfortunately) not with you as i wouldn't imaging that girls and boys share a room! Look forward to meeting you in september!

Offers do tell you what room you're in---it'll look like something cryptic like A21a etc etc....on the address bit before it says McIntosh hall....so, where are you people?

[hr]
intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us
KateBush

Re:

Postby Valen_gr on Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:41 pm

Im really curious to see where most ppl that come to hall next year are from...Let me just say personcoming that you will not feel lonely,as there a LOT of other americans in hall always, so you will have someone to talk to about home... :)

[hr]¸ôóé, ëßãá ÅëëçíéêÜ, ãéá íá ñùôÜôå "what is this?"
[i:3qoywpzu]Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe....[/i:3qoywpzu]
Valen_gr

Re:

Postby Cain on Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:48 pm

Bonnie said

Cain, did you know Richard last year?

I spoke to him every now and again in the kitchen, or the dining room. He was an IR boy, so we bitched about Imber and Rengger. or rather, i bitched about them but he never attended any lectures, so he didn't know.

[hr]
Can't talk now honey-cakes, i'm on Nude-Patrol
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby personcoming on Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:59 am

[s]KateBush wrote on 12:38, 30th Jun 2003:
What room are you in?

im not sure i want to tell a complete stranger my room number, i think the floor is C
personcoming

Add me to the list as well...

Postby emmalina on Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:59 am

I just found out today that I'm also coming to Chattan!!! I am so ridiculously giddy!!! I've been waiting forever to find out which hall I'm going to be in (call me impatient, but...) I'm in room ****. Anyone familiar with it? Anyway, looking forward to meeting everyone this Sept!
emmalina

I'm in McIntosh Too!

Postby RedneckCanuck on Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:05 am

I just got my offer to McIntosh! My room number says MC/****.

[s]Admin note: Room number removed for privacy.
eg A12B means floor A, room 12 (shared).
RedneckCanuck

Re:

Postby ll22 on Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:00 am

oh hello Lily, i thought that would be you...
Don't think us guys are happy about the change either...
B floor was much larger,and we liked it.

[hr]
¸ôóé, ëßãá ÅëëçíéêÜ, ãéá íá ñùôÜôå "what is this?"
[/i]

hey. A floor is nice!! and was quiet... and didn't smell of smoke. anyways... forgive me but who are you?
ll22

Re:

Postby ll22 on Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:08 am

oh hello Lily, i thought that would be you...
Don't think us guys are happy about the change either...
B floor was much larger,and we liked it.

hey. A floor was a nice floor!! -- quiet and didn't smell like smoke 24/7. but anyways... i'm sure A Floor will be the party floor next year. pardon me but do i know you? forgive if i do...
ll22

c floor

Postby KateBush on Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:48 am

[s]Unregisted User personcoming wrote on 19:52, 30th Jun 2003:
[s]KateBush wrote on 12:38, 30th Jun 2003:[i]
What room are you in?

im not sure i want to tell a complete stranger my room number, i think the floor is C
[/i]
Fair enough! C floor is one floor up, and very nice. I've been there the past 2 years. The further down the corridor you go (ie- 18-30) the quieter it is. Any othre number and you're SCREWED on the noise front. But then again some of the rooms are quite large even if they are noisy. Hope to see you in september:)

[hr]
KateBush

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:33 am

"I'm in McIntosh Too!
I just got my offer to McIntosh! My room number says MC/****.

Admin note: Room number removed for privacy.
eg A12B means floor A, room 12 (shared)."

Eh?

Surely if the person had wanted privacy, or had been that concerned about people knowing the number of the room, he or she wouldn't have included in their message.

Would they?

[hr]Rompiendo la monotonia del tiempo
Al

Re:

Postby Colin on Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:17 pm

[s]KateBush wrote on 11:48, 1st Jul 2003:
Any othre number and you're SCREWED on the noise front.

Oh come on, C-floor is ridiculously quiet - the only rooms which are at all noisy are those directly above the common room, and even they aren't that bad, are they Magus?! More problems with those living above you wasn't it?!! And next year C-floor will be sandwiched between 2 girls floors, so you wont hear the parties at all. (parties nearly always seem to happen on the guys floors. No idea why.)

Of course 1st years shouldn't worry about being kept awake by parties, but should make sure they are at them, keeping all the old fogies awake all night!!!!!!
Colin

Re:

Postby Admin on Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:34 pm

[s]Al wrote on 12:33, 1st Jul 2003:

Surely if the person had wanted privacy, or had been [i]that
concerned about people knowing the number of the room, he or she wouldn't have included in their message.

Would they?
[/i]

Perhaps not.
Admin

c floor noise

Postby KateBush on Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:34 pm

"Oh come on, C-floor is ridiculously quiet - the only rooms which are at all noisy are those directly above the common room, and even they aren't that bad, are they Magus?! "

Errr....yeah, right, Colin!!!! My room was above the common room. I had problems with noise from below (people pianoing badly at 4am), accross from me (opposite me was the noisiest girlie room in the hall! I think they were on speed!!!!)and ABOVE me (jungle music addict who seemed to either throw large objects onto the floor from great heights or collapse at night).

The middle of the building is particularly noisy in comparison with the Abbotsford end. Everyone agrees on that, don't they?

[hr]
KateBush

Re:

Postby Jen on Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:48 pm

To everyone who already knows where they will be living, do you already have your grades and a confirmed place?

I'm taking a gap year before coming to St Andrews next year, (hopefully - grades permitting) so i'm guessing i'll know this time next year where i'll b living yay!

hugs and xxxxxxxx
Jen

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board