Home

TheSinner.net

Piercings, Tatoos...

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Piercings, Tatoos...

Postby doobeedoo on Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:38 am

Whadda ya think of them? Artistic expressions or mutilations? Something you'l always love or something you'l become embarrassed off?

Interesting looking or just plain cheap?
doobeedoo

Re:

Postby benedict on Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:09 pm

depends on the tattoo & it depends on who's wearing them & how they wear them. well that's the dull answer anyway.

myself is unlikely to get a tattoo as i change my mind far too much. often i've seen a tattoo on folk & thought why'd you go do that? but it can also add a bit of interest to someone. a good way to get noticed sometimes & can be a good prop for starting or continuing conversations. however if folk are gonna get tattoos they need to get a decent one. cartoony tattoos (for example) can look pretty wrong sometimes. a tatto should enhance someone in some way.

piercings are a bit different as they're a bit less permanent.

[hr]watches should have a smiley face on them as it's always time to be happy
benedict

Re:

Postby mossop on Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:49 pm

I had a mate with a belly button piercing and she got pregnant. She was pretty huge and the hole had streched so much that she could put her finger through it. That kind of put me off a bit.....

[hr]Mmmm Beer, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems....
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a crate. Coincidence? I think not.
mossop

Re:

Postby Thackary on Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:00 pm

Don't get your belly button pierced - you might get pregnant!
Thackary

Re:

Postby Chippy on Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:35 pm

I've always wanted to get a tattoo, but i just dont have the balls to go get it done. I also cant decide which part of me to get one on, maybe the shoulder or arm or back, too many options you know. I know its not a good idea to get one with colour because they fade alot. All depends on the what tattoo you get of course. As for piercings, never really crossed my mind, i think they would just feel weird.
Chippy

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:38 pm

I'm not really a fan of either. Perhaps it's just me, but the thought of something so permanent and unneeded freaks me out a bit.

[hr]One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. - Plato
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:54 pm

I don't like tatoos, just find them a total turn off. Don't know why but I guess I just prefer people without drawings on them.

As for piercings, I don't like them on men particularly and on women...I have my ears pierced but I dont see the point in getting anything else pierced.
Pussycat

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:07 pm

I can't pretend that tattoos are anything but cool.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Neferet on Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:01 pm

Personally I think tatoos are a bit lame, but whatever floats your boat as they say. Would definitely be enough to turn me off a guy though, which seems to be the general opinion of my mates. It's just has a bit of a tacky stigma surrounding it.

Also if it's somewhere visible then it can seriously dent your chances of getting a job from an interview.
Neferet

Re:

Postby Anon. on Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:36 pm

To be perfectly honest, I think tattoos look rather... common, and I don't like seeing them on people.

However, tattoos that are not visible - that only the wearer and their intimate acquaintance knows are there - are fine, I would have thought.
Anon.

Re:

Postby rae on Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:51 pm

I got my nose pierced when I was 14 with the knowledge that it could heal over any time I got sick of it but I haven't yet (9 years). Got a tattoo a few years back and the hardest part was definitely deciding where to put it. It ended up on my lower back where I can show it to people if I want but they won't generally see it. It's a yellow submarine :D Interesting, original, thought out tattoos I think are great but if I see anymore Chinese symbols on people who have no idea what thye mean I will holler.
In America they think 100 years is old and in Britain they think 100 miles is far.
rae

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:24 pm

[s]mossop wrote on 15:49, 27th Aug 2003:
I had a mate with a belly button piercing and she got pregnant. She was pretty huge and the hole had streched so much that she could put her finger through it. That kind of put me off a bit.....

Somebody from my school had her nipple pierced. The piercing got caught on her bra strap.

they reattached her nipple.

she wanted to get the piercing put back on when it healed.

piercings = bad idea.

tattoos = also bad idea. hows it going to look when you're 40+? How's it going to look when you're on a job interview etc?
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby David Bean on Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:33 pm

[s]Anon. wrote on 18:36, 27th Aug 2003:
To be perfectly honest, I think tattoos look rather... common, and I don't like seeing them on people.

However, tattoos that are not visible - that only the wearer and their intimate acquaintance knows are there - are fine, I would have thought.

I agree completely. And as to piercings - well, standard earrings are fine, and nose studs can bve done classily, but sometimes they seem like an attempt to attract attention for its own sake.
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Fugaziboy on Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:39 pm

I used to have some piercings in my ear and eye but have since taken them out. I would really like to get some tatoos though all over my back, legs, whatever! I hope to get it some time in the future.
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby benedict on Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:51 pm

'piercings = bad idea.

tattoos = also bad idea. hows it going to look when you're 40+? How's it going to look when you're on a job interview etc?
'

so in other words perfect if you're a rock star. any injuries as a result of snagged piercings will make a cool scar. never mind about the wrinkles you'll be long decomposed before that happens, thanks to your healthy smack habit, & it's not like you're ever going to interview for a job.

[hr]watches should have a smiley face on them as it's always time to be happy
benedict

Re:

Postby Al on Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:51 pm

"How's it going to look when you're on a job interview etc?"

How would they be visible unless you had your face/neck or hands tattooed?

[hr]"Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass on a summer day listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is hardly a waste of time".
Al

Re:

Postby Sarah on Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:13 pm

I was thinking about finally getting round to having my ears pierced... then I saw Make-Overs From Hell on ITV the other week. Owwww!! Lots of graphic ear-death scenes.

So I'll wait a bit longer I think!
Sarah

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:07 pm

Getting your ears pierced is fine and if you're worried about safety then get it done in a respected jewellers. As for nose piercings I catch too many colds to find that appealing :)

I do think tatoos look a bit common. If they're visible it's just plain bad and if they're not then people should really think carefully anyway. I mean it is kinda like when you were in school and drew a picture on the back of your hand (or was that just me? ;) ) but this time you can't take it off. Ever. Well not without major discofort and expense.

Obviously the most common mistake is to get one that celebrates a significant event or person, because if those happy memories turn sour you have a rather painful reminder of it/them.

There's also the fact that it is quite a major issue with some people. I know a lot of women who if they were getting to know a guy for example and then found out they have a tattoo all over their back, they would be a little held back with them.

Especially if that tattoo featured an ex-girlfriends name!
Pussycat

Re:

Postby Fugaziboy on Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:19 pm

Obviously it's stupid to get someones name tatooed on you. I would never do that in million years. But I have some cool album covers which I would like tatooed on me. On my back chest, upper arms that sort of thing. And yeah to the person talking about Chinese Symbols, I think its become so bloody trendy, just like those crap mohawks you see guys wearing. I think if your gonna get tatooed you have to go the whole hog, and not just a small one on your shoulder. I think thats just following a trend and a pussy. Jeez, the more I talk about it the more I want it done! I wanna look like an English bus driver! just kidding by the way. I think its very important to think about it first before diving straight into it. I will be giving it a lot of thought...
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby jennyo on Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:48 pm

I've had my tongue pierced for a year -- I've always sort of vaguely contemplated getting a tattoo but could never decide where/what so I figured, at least with a piercing I can take it out if I change my mind. It hurt less than getting my ears pierced and I got to eat only icecream for 3 days!
So far everyone who's seen it (and not many people notice since I got a smaller one) think it's pretty cool -- including bosses. It might be different if you get something immediately visible like an eyebrow piercing.
Personally I think nose piercings can look good on girls as long as they're not huge (the piercing, not the girl) and some guys really suit both ears pierced.
Obviously if you are thinking of getting a tattoo or piercing make sure you go somewhere clean and professional and ask to see photos of their work. The place on South St (opposite Janetta's) is pretty good and the people there are nice.
Do those under a risk of death by metor run some thus-far indefinite risk of longrun meteorisation?
- David Bean
jennyo

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board