Home

TheSinner.net

All the world's a catwalk...

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

All the world's a catwalk...

Postby FingerMouse on Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:42 pm

Ok, so a thought struck me the other day. First think of all the places around the world that you've visited that have been popular enough tourist destinations for there to have been other visiters there at the same time.

Ok, now think of all the different nationalities of people that you might have seen while you where there (you know when you walk past someone and notice they're speaking in a foreign language so you can place them as not being from where you're from).

Ok, now think of, whenever you're looking at something worth looking at, be it monument, landmark, tourist attraction or view, how many times do you notice that people taking photos have got you in their sights. Or how many times that bloke with the camcorder pans right across where you're standing.

Now, put all that together and just think, there must be hundreds, nay thousands, of people the world over that have pictures and videos with you in them!

Isn't it great! We're all famous. Kind of...
FingerMouse

Re:

Postby Wong on Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:17 am

My hands were on TV once.

[hr]And that world was ending...
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Postby ever_nocturnal on Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:25 am

Last edited by ever_nocturnal on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ever_nocturnal

Re:

Postby James Baster on Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:57 am

When my family were outside the sydney opera house, three Japenese girls came up to us and asked if they could have their photo taken with us. Don't know if they thought we were a typical Australian family, or what.
James Baster

Re:

Postby Jess on Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:18 pm

That's kind of scary.. I really dislike pictures of myself. Hope those people aren't thinking, "Wow! Look at that horribly ugly girl in the corner or the pic!"

Heh, alright I'll let my self-esteem go back up now...
Jess

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:07 pm

i was walking down north street after the pierwalk in (in my gown) in my first year, when i was stopped by an old man. he wanted to know if he could get a photo of me with his daughters. i said yes, and was suddenly surrounded by about four Canadiens (is that the female form?) of 10-17ish.

they took the photo. i ran as soon as it was done.

very wierd experience.
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Emmalina on Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:26 pm

When I was in Italy two summers ago, I was waiting in line to get into some cathedral or other, and there was this little Italian girl just sitting on the steps when out of nowhere she took a picture of me! It was so weird, especially because afterwards, she brought her camera down just a bit so that only her eyes weren’t covered by the camera and was looking at me as if to see if I noticed that she had taken a picture...people are silly

[hr]Well if you are what you eat,
In my case I'll be sweet
So come and get some.
I'm so over it

- J. Mraz
Emmalina

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:32 pm

My red head brother managed to create a queue of 100 screaming girls and women in China, all waiting for photo's, red hair is considered very lucky apparently, brother was only 8yrs old I was beating them off with a stick like the big caring brother i am...the poor kid was in tears!
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby Anon. on Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:36 pm

[s]Cain wrote on 21:07, 4th Sep 2003:
...and was suddenly surrounded by about four Canadiens (is that the female form?)

I would have thought a Canadien was a French-speaking Canadian, and a Canadienne was the female equivalent.
Anon.

Re:

Postby Cain on Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:17 pm

Damnedest thing happened to me today. I was sat in Aberdeen, eating my lunch, when a guy with a long lense camera came up to me.

He introduced himself, said he was on a photography HND, and was doing a module on portraiture. This meant him taking photos of people with "interesting aspects" to them.

oh. that sounds like a bit of a faint praise curse. it turned out that "There's something interesting about a guy sitting on a dyke eating a chicken tikka butty."

i took his word for it, and he took a few photos of a guy, very self consciously, eating a cajun chicken butty (they look pretty much the same, to the non-connoisseur) on a dyke.

i had to sign a form saying that i agreed to have my photo taken, and give my details in case i was used in an exhibition. "there's also a bit on the back, written in somebody's blood, saying that the camera doesn't take a bit of your soul."

very wierd lunch experience. but a nice guy.

[hr]
Cain

Re:

Postby Imp on Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:22 pm

In a similar vein, i was getting the bus home from st andrews one day when an art student asked of he could draw me. It was a bit od sitting nice and still on a bus bouncing along while some random perosn drew you...
Imp

Return to The Sinner's Main Board