Home

TheSinner.net

if you had a daughter/son what name would you give her/him?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Postby Guest on Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:55 pm

Re:

Postby Amanda on Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:49 am

daughters - (twins) daisy and poppy. kyra. with jessica/sandra/eileen as middle names.

sons - any of: joshua/oliver/benjamin/christopher with iain/david/donald/michael/stuart as middle names.

obviously i'm not planning on having the number of children to match all of those names - i'll have to sort out my decision making skills before i have kids :)

[hr][s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
[s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
Amanda

Re:

Postby Plette on Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:07 am

[s]Amanda wrote on 01:49, 4th Sep 2003:
daughters - (twins) daisy and poppy. kyra. with jessica/sandra/eileen as middle names.

When I was really young, my little sister had a speech impediment and was completely incapable of pronouncing my actual name (Paulette) so she always called me Poppy. My Grandma still calls me that sometimes even now.

[hr]
Sola lingua bona est lingua morta.
Sola lingua bona est lingua morta.
Plette

Re:

Postby Anon. on Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:19 am

I'd probably give them fairly normal first names, probably after other members of the family, and then really go to town on their middle names - things like Millicent and Fleur-de-Lys (oddly, I can only ever think of daughters' names).

Of course, this is highly academic, as I have no intention of having children (shudder).
Anon.

Re:

Postby rubbermuffin on Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:17 am

Dylan, Bert and Norah.

[hr]'I said I wasn't blaming Jesus or anything. It wasn't His fault that He didn't have any time.'
'If something has to change then it always does'
rubbermuffin

OMG>>

Postby Valen_gr on Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:57 am

Do students ACTUALLY think about stuff like that????
I mean, i REALLY don't care at this point in my life about childrens names.Leave it for the future.
[i:3qoywpzu]Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe....[/i:3qoywpzu]
Valen_gr

Re:

Postby stan-drews on Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:16 am

Thomas and Natalie. Not bloody Jack and Chloe. Well, Jack isn't too bad actually.
stan-drews

Re:

Postby RaphX on Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:35 am

[s]Valen_gr wrote on 09:57, 4th Sep 2003:
Do students ACTUALLY think about stuff like that????
I mean, i REALLY don't care at this point in my life about childrens names.Leave it for the future.

For a lot of people (including Plette and myself) this sort of thing won't really require thinking about for another 10 years. But it's still something that comes into the mind, from time to time, and it is nice to gaze into the future like that.

[hr]
and on the eighth day, we bulldozed it.
RaphX

Re:

Postby Buzzboy on Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:31 pm

Boy - Kensington Whipwallah

Girl - Artemis Moon-Unit

[hr]On the Seventh Day God said to Adam:

"Can I leave it with you?"
On the Seventh Day God said to Adam:

"Can I leave it with you?"
Buzzboy

Re:

Postby Jess on Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:16 pm

If I had a son: Luke, William, or Hugh. I'm not religious though, so perhaps Luke isn't a great idea... I'd probably go with the name Hugh.

If I had a daughter: Madeline. Lately I've just adored the name.

I love thinking about names though, even though I have no one to name... it's a fun thing. :)
Jess

Re:

Postby FingerMouse on Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:19 pm

Always though that if I ever had any daughters I'd either call them Deity or Utopia (or one of each if I had more than one). Looks like I'm one of those people that is the answer to the question "What kind of person calls their child that!?".
FingerMouse

Re:

Postby Amanda on Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:20 pm

Daughter 1 - Marcia Rose Constance
Daughter 2 - Elizabeth Lilly Jane
Daughter 3 - Hesper Victoria Grace

Son 1 - Jonathan Charles Alexander
Son 2 - Hector James Marcus
Son 3 - Richard Paul Nicholas

Or something along these lines.
Amanda

Re:

Postby mossop on Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:20 pm

Jack or John and Catherine (Katie for short)

[hr]Mmmm Beer, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems....
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a crate. Coincidence? I think not.
mossop

Re:

Postby mene on Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:25 pm

I'm really interested in the meanings of names, so my child (IF I decide to have one at all) would get a very unusual name with a great meaning. Lea (means "savage cow") or Barbara (means "the stammering") are real no-nos. The same with "Anna" ("virgin"). Some of my favorite names are:
for girls Albrun ("the magic spell of elves"), Pamina ("night with full moon"), Astrid ("beautiful goddess"), Maitagorry ("dawn") and Nives ("pure as snow")(no jokes about yellow snow pls) and Eleonora ("God is my light). Now to the really unusual:
I love Angharad ("more love" in Welsh), Kamaria ("moon" in Swahili), Nayeli ("I love you" in Zapotec), Noelani ("heavenly mist" in Hawaiian).

For boys Ahasver ("Lion king"), Lucien, Aurel ("gold"), Melchior ("God is the king of light"), Douglas ("dark water"), Darian ("the mighty"), Kevin ("the handsome"), Brandolf ("wolf of fire"), Thorolf ("wolf of the thunder god Thor"), Chrysant ("golden flower"), Celestin and Hyazinth.

The unusual ones: Xochipilli (only as a middle name, means "flower prince" in Nahuatl and is the name of the axtec god of love, flowers, games and music), "Kaimana" ("as powerful as the ocean" in Hawaiian) and Jin-Ho ("jewel lake" in Corean).

For boys Isaac is the name I wouldn't give my child. It means "God will laugh". No offfense to anyone who has any of the names I wouldn't give to my children. Of course a name doesn't give anything away about a person.
mene

Re:

Postby mossop on Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:34 pm

[s]Unregisted User Amanda wrote on 11:37, 4th Sep 2003:
Daughter 1 - Marcia Rose Constance
Daughter 2 - Elizabeth Lilly Jane
Daughter 3 - Hesper Victoria Grace

Son 1 - Jonathan Charles Alexander
Son 2 - Hector James Marcus
Son 3 - Richard Paul Nicholas

Not that you've thought about it much...

[hr]
Mmmm Beer, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems....
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a crate. Coincidence? I think not.
mossop

Re:

Postby underworlddreams on Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:59 pm

I always thought that, if I had someone to name, I'd have someone to name them with. On the other hand, that doesn't mean I haven't thought about names.

Strangely, and without intending it, the name I came up with (for a daughter - Anna Celine) has the same initials as me...

[hr]It's hard to look you in the face when we are talking / So it helps to have a mirror in the room...
underworlddreams

Re:

Postby Amanda on Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:08 pm

^^ to raphx - iain and i aren't planning on having kids for a good few years, but it's still something that can be thought about - just because i've thought of some childrens' names doesn't mean i'm planning on using the name any time soon. :)

[hr][s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
[s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
Amanda

Re:

Postby Anon. on Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:41 pm

"What kind of person calls their child that!?".

The worst offenders in British history have to be the Rev. Ralph Tollemache-Tollemache (he adopted the double-barrel, too) and his second wife Dora Cleopatra Maria Lorenza de Orellana y Revest, whom he married in 1869. Their children were called:

Daughter 1: Mabel Helmingham Ethel Huntingtower Beatrice Blazonberrie Evangeline Vise de Lou de Orellana Planatgenet Toedmag Saxon Tollemache-Tollemache

Daughter 2: Lyonesse Matilda Dora Ida Agnes Ernestine Curson Paulet Wilbraham Joyce Eugenie Bentley Saxonia Dysart Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache

Son 1: Lyulph Ydwallo Odin Nestor Egbert Lyonel Toedmag Hugh Erchenwyne Saxon Esa Cromwell Orma Nevill Dysart Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache

Daughter 3: Lyona Decima Veronica Esyth Undine Cyssa Hylda Rowena Viola Adela Thyra Ursula Ysabel Blanche Lelias Dysart Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache

Son 2: Leo Quintus Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache (he got off lightest, but still later renounced most of his name by deed poll)

Daughter 4: Lyonella Fredegunda Cuthberga Ethelswytha Ideth Ysabwel Grace Monica de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache

Son 3: Leone Sextus Denys Oswulf Fraudati filius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache

Daughter 5: Lyonetta Edith Regina Valentine Myra Polwarth Avelina Philippa Violantha de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache

Son 4: Lyonulph Cospatrick Bruce Berkeley Jermyn Tullibardine Petersham de Orellana Dysart Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache

Pretty frightful, what?
Anon.

Re:

Postby Anon. on Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:49 pm

Oh, and a bloke with whom I was at school was called Swithun Jælric Harrison-Cooper. And he had a sister called Richildis.
Anon.

Re:

Postby Capt. Jean-Luc Picard on Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:07 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 18:51, 3rd Sep 2003:

if i had a girl, i would name it either Stephanie or Raine.

if i had a boy, i would name it...??? I don't know!
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board