Home

TheSinner.net

imaginative ideas

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

imaginative ideas

Postby stan on Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:33 pm

any ideas for a fancy dress party? cheap preferably...
stan

Re:

Postby immunodiffusion on Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:46 pm

[s]stan wrote on 14:33, 11th Sep 2003:
any ideas for a fancy dress party? cheap preferably...

A friend of mine had a "P" fancy dress party - you had to come in something that began with the letter p. You could, of course, do the same with any letter.
immunodiffusion

Re:

Postby Nick Mitchell on Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:04 pm

[s]immunodiffusion wrote on 14:46, 11th Sep 2003:
A friend of mine had a "P" fancy dress party - you had to come in something that began with the letter p. You could, of course, do the same with any letter.

Hmm. I don't think you'd get very far with an "x" fancy dress party. You'd even be struggling with a "z" one.

Although a room full of people dressed like zebras would be quite a thing to see. And there'll be someone out there for whom that would be the ultimate sexual fantasy, I'm sure.
Nick Mitchell

Re:

Postby stan on Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:09 pm

what about ideas for costumes, maybe a could work of that
stan

Re:

Postby Amaunet on Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:41 pm

How to make the perfect cheapish costume:

You will need: one black bin liner, one yellow bin liner, a lipstick, sticky back plastic (alwasy wanted to say that!), 2 pipe cleaners( yellow or black preferably.)scissors (get an adult to supervise-lol)ohh and a hair band

step One: cut said yellow bin liner into strips, place on black bin liner into a strip formation .

Step Two: Using stick back plastic stick yellow srips onto black bin liner- this forms the main part of ur costume- (dont forget to cut holes for arms, and neck )

Step Three: put some lipstick onto your nose(red is the best colour).

Step Four: bend pipe cleaners onto a hairband (alice band) and bend into antenna shape .

Step Five: Voila! You have a great, cheap costume and youll be the hit of the party :)
"You should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how"

Gone with the Wind
Amaunet

Re:

Postby James Baster on Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:43 pm

Hmm; the p party wouldnt have been at Gilston House would it? That one was advertised brilliantly - I get a text at 3AM saying "Come to a party - the themes P!" I looked at it, tryed to erase the horrible mental image that sprung to mind and swore not to go. But then I got a email the next day saying it was actually the letter P, and all was well.
James Baster

Re:

Postby Plette on Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:52 pm

When I was a little kid, I went as a chocolate chip cookie...had two big circles of cardboard, one tied over my front and one over the back. We bought some giant chocolate chips at a bulk food store, and I glued them on...the costume was cute, but all the other kids chased me around to steal the chocolate chips off my costume...and I cried, and told them they they had glue on them, but no one seemed to care :(

[hr]Sola lingua bona est lingua morta.
Sola lingua bona est lingua morta.
Plette

Re:

Postby Anon. on Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:58 pm

I once entered a school fancy dress contest as a Cornflake packet. It was the most stonking costume ever.
Anon.

Re:

Postby benedict on Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:56 pm

if you had much time & maybe a few useful random resources you come as Dusty Bin.

paint yourself green & come as the green giant.

scraping the barrel a bit here, but you could come as a football/rugby/tennis player or better than that a swimmer.

come as Captain Birdseye if you have the relevant items such as a fake beard etc... but not if it's a children's party as that'd be a bit inappropriate given the Captain's reputation.

dig out an old beige cardigan with brown elbow patches & come as a geography teacher.

[hr]watches should have a smiley face on them as it's always time to be happy
benedict

Re:

Postby gingerbeer on Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:59 pm

You can make Ringwraith costume out of a few bin bags (the kind for putting in wheelie bins are the best cos they're bigger), although you need to find someone to tape you into it and it's not exactly reusable. Cut arm and head holes in one bag, cut along the seams on three more and attach them round your waist in a sort of pleated way to form the bottom of the robes, cut a corner out of another two and use them as sleeves (the top of the bag should be a the hand end of your arm) and use another bag or two as a hood.
gingerbeer

Re:

Postby benedict on Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:29 am

pour a couple of tins of baked beans over yourself & come as an escaped lunatic.

even better, come as a tramp. don't wash or shave for as long as possible. try & get dirty somehow to get that living on the street look. if possible do actually spend a night actually on the streets. find some really manky clothes & if they haven't got enough stains on then accidentally spill a bit of soup down them. important: make sure your hands are really scabby. do not wash your hands until the event's over.

i know that there was a bloke who met his wife when he dressed up as a tramp at a fancy dress party. however, all the blokes had to come as a tramp as part of the theme. but still shows it's possible.

[hr]watches should have a smiley face on them as it's always time to be happy
benedict

Re:

Postby Thackary on Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:48 am

There once was a man from Bengal,
Who went to a fancy dress ball.
He thought he would risk it.....
Thackary

Re:

Postby oye lele on Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:52 am

costume ideas for a pparty?
prince(ss), promking/queen, pirates, prisoners, pocahantas, pinkladies, pimp, the usual prostitute, punker...the list is endless...
oye lele

Re:

Postby James Baster on Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:29 am

[s]benedict wrote on 00:56, 12th Sep 2003:
come as Captain Birdseye if you have the relevant items such as a fake beard etc... but not if it's a children's party as that'd be a bit inappropriate given the Captain's reputation.

Captain Birdseye has a reputation!!!! My god, when did this happen? Is there nothing left innocent in this world?
James Baster

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:24 am

Shredder offof the Turtles (who've been relaunched in a new cartoon and range of toys!!!) is pretty easy to do if you've got a spare day.
Basically cut all his armour plates and spikes out of corrugated cardboard (though I did use half of a stolen football for the base of his helmet) and make the tunic and cape out of a couple of colours of bin bags (which colours aren't that important seeing as through various comic, cartoon, tv and film incarnations he's had any combination of grey, black, purple, red and loads of other colours).
Apply to self with copious amounts of black and silver duct tape, et viola, you kick arse.

Continuing the Turtles theme, Casey Jones should be incredibly simple if you have various sporting eqipment lying around - hockey mask and golf bag containing baseball bat, golf club and hockey stick are the basic essentials.

ps If anyone has any photos of me in my Shredder costume from Rocksoc Halloween 2001 (I think it was 2001 anyway) then I'd very much appreciate a copy seeing as I never actually got to see myself in it.

[hr][s]Apathy isn't just an attitude,
it's a disbelief system.[/s]
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Nick Mitchell on Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:30 am

[s]The_Farwall wrote on 10:24, 12th Sep 2003:
Shredder offof the Turtles (who've been relaunched in a new cartoon and range of toys!!!)

I've seen the new cartoon, and it looks pretty good, but have you seen the weird live action series "Turtles: The Next Mutation"? Bizarre.
Nick Mitchell

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:31 am

I remember seeing that show about once - I was half-asleep but I think that it seemed like another generic martial arts show for kids... They also had a female turtle, that was just weird.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Deej on Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:57 am

Speaking of Ps, I went to a party with two friends as a group---we all wore the same sweat pants and sweat shirts, with a big P on the front of the shirts made of fabric we'd sewn on. We put black circles of grease paint on our eyes so they'd be completely blacked out, and went to the party as blackeyed peas.
Deej

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:06 am

The easiest costumes both time-wise and money wise are a vampire for a guy (black clothes and pointy teeth) and a cat for a gal (ears, black clothes, face paint).
Pussycat

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:41 am

I once went as the wardrobe out of the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe. I had opening doors and everything. Sitting down was a bit hard but.

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board