Home

TheSinner.net

Broad bands

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Broad bands

Postby Mr Comedy on Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:14 pm

Hey hey, web nerds!
Could you give me some help?
I need speedy internet in my flat, so what is the best way to go about it? I also don't have a phone, so do I need to find out about that?
If not, I'll have to use the ITS computers, and I am sure you guys don't want to wish that on me..
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby camel club on Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:24 pm

No. 1: Get urself a bt account, v easy if you already have a line going into the flat. Just ring 0800 800 150 (from any phone) to get it activated. The cheapest package is £9.99 a month. Once that is all setup..

No. 2: Go on the internet (at ur mate's house or in an IT classroom) and sign up for one of the many ADSL isp's. I recommend pipex. It costs £23.44 a month, its fast and quite reliable. If you dont have an ADSL modem already, you can get one for just £17 with their solo2go package. Their address is: http://www.solo.pipex.com

One word of warning - if you only have your flat for 9 or 10 months, you are going to have to pay to get out of the contract at the end of this time, cos you haven't used 12months. (I think it's £50 cancelation fee).

One more thing - when you call BT to initially activate your line, they'll probably try to sell you their own broadband service, 'bt broadband'. I personally wouldn't recommend them as they charge more per month (£28) and more for the modem (if you need one).
camel club

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:42 pm

Check out www.tiscali.co.uk they do some great internet deals and have just introduced a new broadband service which comes in at just under £20 a month (or around that mark anyway)

[hr]..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby camel club on Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:46 pm

[s]Paranoid wrote on 18:42, 12th Sep 2003:
Check out www.tiscali.co.uk they do some great internet deals and have just introduced a new broadband service which comes in at just under £20 a month (or around that mark anyway)

Yeah but the £19.99 account is only 256k.. half the speed of most other broadband packages. To get a full 512k package, it's £27 a month.. :-(
camel club

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:53 pm

The BT one is £27 a month, the modem is £40 but the first month is free (so the modem is just £13 really).

I've got no complaints.
Pussycat

Re:

Postby camel club on Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:55 pm

cool..

Is it true that BT broadband blocks u from accessing smtp servers other than their own?

I've heard lots of stories to this effect..
camel club

Re:

Postby fluKe on Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:00 pm

Nah it's not true, BT doesn't block access to anything.

I have BTOpenworld and access loads of different SMTP servers as I have about 5-6 mail accounts.
fluKe

Re:

Postby camel club on Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:16 pm

[s]fluKe wrote on 19:00, 12th Sep 2003:
Nah it's not true, BT doesn't block access to anything.

I have BTOpenworld and access loads of different SMTP servers as I have about 5-6 mail accounts.

yeah but that's btopenworld.. it's bt broadband (separate company) i've heard this about..
camel club

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:44 pm

I've got BT Broadband and have never had an problems like that.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:51 pm

I was talking about BT Openworld, so no probs there :)
Pussycat

Re:

Postby Thackary on Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:55 pm

Camel Club - I know several people who are with BT Broadband, and they don't have a problem.
You just need to select the "my server needs authentication" option in your mail setup.
Thackary

Re:

Postby Andrew Cusack on Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:10 pm

sorry, i'm techno-illiterate, but was hoping to get some decent internet service for my flat.

does broadband just go through the normal everyday phoneline? i have rather fast internet service at home in new york, but i know that goes through the cable.

also, suppose my flatmates and I wanted this broadband stuff, but wanted to be able to use our own computers at the same time via one of them wireless network thingies. is this possible even though some of us have macs and some have pcs?

many thanks!
Andrew Cusack

Re:

Postby fluKe on Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:18 pm

BT's broadband service is called Openworld.. if you thought I was talking about dial up that's openworld anytime.

Openworld is the brodband service, and I have no problems with SMTP on it.
fluKe

Re:

Postby camel club on Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:13 am

[s]fluKe wrote on 00:18, 13th Sep 2003:
BT's broadband service is called Openworld.. if you thought I was talking about dial up that's openworld anytime.

Openworld is the brodband service, and I have no problems with SMTP on it.

Actually BT has two broadband services. They are:
1. BT openworld (soon to be called btyahoo -http://www.btyahoo.com/broadband/forhome - £29.99 a month)
and
2. BT Broadband ( http://www.bt.com/btbroadband - £27 per month)

Ok.. now i think i did get my facts slightly wrong earlier. Neither BT Openworld or BT Broadband block access to any SMTP server. However, BT Broadband (no 2) is an 'access only' package. It doesnt provide you with any email account(s) or webspace.

The point I was trying to make is that there are a lot of other ISP's out there that charge a lot less than either of the BT deals and come as full accounts with email, webspace, news access etc.
camel club

Re:

Postby camel club on Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:23 am

[s]Andrew Cusack wrote on 00:10, 13th Sep 2003:
sorry, i'm techno-illiterate, but was hoping to get some decent internet service for my flat. Does broadband just go through the normal everyday phoneline?

Yes, as long as you have a bt phone in your house. You can sign up to one of the many broadband Internet Service Providers. The broadband is carried down your phoneline and is decoded with the help of an ADSL modem and some clever things called micro-splitters. You can even use your bt line to make phonecalls at the same time as you're using the net.

i have rather fast internet service at home in new york, but i know that goes through the cable.

There are cable providers in the uk.. just not in st andrews... yet!

also, suppose my flatmates and I wanted this broadband stuff, but wanted to be able to use our own computers at the same time via one of them wireless network thingies. is this possible even though some of us have macs and some have pcs?

yes.. although this does take a wee bit more setting up, this is totally do-able. :-)
camel club

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:48 am

[s]camel club wrote on 03:13, 13th Sep 2003:
The point I was trying to make is that there are a lot of other ISP's out there that charge a lot less than either of the BT deals and come as full accounts with email, webspace, news access etc.

Like the one BT were doing about two months ago, I guess your too late :P

I pay £28 a month, bout £40 for the modem to start with, got the first month free, have half a million email accounts, webspace I'm not using and a whole load of other bamf.

I just got it cos it was the cheapest at the time mind you but I guess BT have already ended that promotion.
Pussycat

Re:

Postby camel club on Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:27 pm

[s]Pussycat wrote on 10:48, 13th Sep 2003:
I pay £28 a month...

...I just got it cos it was the cheapest at the time mind you but I guess BT have already ended that promotion.

Sorry to break this to you love, but there have been *much* cheaper accounts going round for ages now.

e.g. Pipex £23.44 pm
Demon £24.99 pm
NDO £22.99 pm
Plusnet £24.99 pm
camel club

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:31 pm

Yeah but I got extra free stuff at the time, and my mum wanted to stick with BT. Also, BT is very reliable. And much cheaper?! Im only paying £27.99.

Oh and call me love again and I'll shove your head up your arse.
Pussycat

Re:

Postby camel club on Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:38 pm

[s]Pussycat wrote on 13:31, 13th Sep 2003:
Yeah but I got extra free stuff at the time, and my mum wanted to stick with BT. Also, BT is very reliable. And much cheaper?! Im only paying £27.99.

Oh and call me love again and I'll shove your head up your arse.

Yes darling.. and we all know how important it is to keep mumsie happy!

:-)
camel club

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:53 pm

Well it is when she pays for it. Moron.
Pussycat

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board