Home

TheSinner.net

John Burnet Hall

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

John Burnet Hall

Postby Dirac on Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:41 pm

I have read about the halls in the sinners guide which is very informative. However are there any people on here who have experienced John Burnet hall first hand? i am due to be living in this hall come September, and would appreciate the views of people who have lived in there, on what's good, and not so good about the hall.

Thanks
Dirac

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:58 pm

...be afraid...be VERY afraid!!! And get very drunk! :o) It's probably THE best hall to experience as its the smallest, best community spirit and upholder of many traditions, enjoy! (I'll probably see you around as I've just moved on after 2 years and still have friends there)

[hr]..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

No Fear . . .

Postby jbian on Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:06 pm

. . . JB is a great hall. There is a great sense of community, as everyone knows everyone. There's always something going on, always people getting up to trouble, and glad to have you join in. The only downside of JBH is that sometimes its hard to maintain privacy, since everyone knows your buisness, and it's difficult to keep yourself motivated to study. It's a great place though, you'll be really happy that it's your hall.
jbian

Re:

Postby Dirac on Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:15 pm

[s]Paranoid wrote on 18:58, 13th Sep 2003:
...be afraid...be VERY afraid!!! And get very drunk! :o) It's probably THE best hall to experience as its the smallest, best community spirit and upholder of many traditions, enjoy! (I'll probably see you around as I've just moved on after 2 years and still have friends there)

Haha, excellent.What kind of traditions are there? Sounds interesting...
Dirac

Re:

Postby Aer on Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:01 pm

assassins is always a laugh....

[hr]Always remember, no matter how drunk you are, that tomorrow you will be sober. and probably will have one biiiig hangover.
I can't believe your head exploded. You'll never be a doctor if your head explodes.
Aer

Re:

Postby Valen_gr on Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:01 am

you mean jbh wankers that toss water containing-anythings at ususpecting bypassers???
haha really funny
[i:3qoywpzu]Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe....[/i:3qoywpzu]
Valen_gr

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:22 am

[s]Valen_gr wrote on 12:01, 14th Sep 2003:
you mean jbh wankers that toss water containing-anythings at ususpecting bypassers???
haha really funny.

That's not assasination, that's terrorism.
Though I have to say, I prefer a small rephrasing of the original sentence -
"Assassins are always a laugh..."
Yes, such happy, fun-loving people.
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Aer on Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:35 am

heh

well im just glad that drh and UNI hall arent on the path to jbh if im going into town...

[hr]Always remember, no matter how drunk you are, that tomorrow you will be sober. and probably will have one biiiig hangover.
I can't believe your head exploded. You'll never be a doctor if your head explodes.
Aer

Re:

Postby Valen_gr on Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:49 am

[s]Aer wrote on 12:35, 14th Sep 2003:
heh

well im just glad that drh and UNI hall arent on the path to jbh if im going into town...

I think I am really stupid because this makes no sense to me...
[i:3qoywpzu]Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe....[/i:3qoywpzu]
Valen_gr

Re:

Postby Chippy on Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:18 pm

TOGA
TOGA
TOGA
Chippy

....Annexe

Postby the blues on Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:17 pm

What is the annexe like? Do you really have to make an effort to get over to the main hall?

Other thing are the rooms and ensuite nice?
the blues

Re:

Postby Jihad_Ragsta on Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:10 pm

John Burnet Hall's probably the best hall to live in- there's only 150 in there so you literally know EVERYONE! Lots of laughs and a good social life in general, really good parties too cos there's always a fine crop of guys who are 'up for it'. 'It' being drunken nakedness, creating gossip by their antics (I deny everything) and generally trying really hard at doing no work whatsoever :) Nice place, so long as you're ready to make new friends anyway! I've been there for three years so if anyone has any questions, feel free to grab hold of me.

P. S. TOGA!!!!!

[hr]
I am Godzilla! You are Japan!
[i:297ulvrk]Okay! Who greased my wiener?![/i:297ulvrk]
Jihad_Ragsta

Re:

Postby Jihad_Ragsta on Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:15 pm

[s]Unregisted User the blues wrote on 16:08, 14th Sep 2003:
What is the annexe like? Do you really have to make an effort to get over to the main hall?

Other thing are the rooms and ensuite nice?

The annexe is good for privacy. Sound proofing's not all it could be, but nothing THAT bad anyway (be prepared to hear things you really could have done without!). Unless you have no legs there is no problem whatsoever in getting to the main building. Sometimes the main building declares war on the annexe and you'll run the risk of getting water bombed, but it's all in good fun! :P 'Nice' rooms? Hmmm, seem pretty acceptable to me. Own shower is a really nice thing to have anyway!

[hr]
I am Godzilla! You are Japan!
[i:297ulvrk]Okay! Who greased my wiener?![/i:297ulvrk]
Jihad_Ragsta

Annexe

Postby the blues on Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:16 pm

Why do you 'declare war' on your allies? The Annexe is part of John Burnett so why water-bomb us?

I have heard much about this water-bombing malarkey so presumably it is a very boyish hall then? What percentage girls:boys would you say and what about the ratio for the annexe?

Good thing that the Annexe can be fallen into. I dont do stairs when Im pissed.
the blues

Re:

Postby harry b on Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:41 pm

I am in the annexe at JBH and will not be ammused if I am hit by a water-baloon. I am extremely worried about the loutish behaviour of the Athollites.
Are there many girls in JBH or the annexe?
User 'the blues' which room are you in?
harry b

Re:

Postby Dirac on Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:45 pm

[s]Jihad_Ragsta wrote on 17:10, 14th Sep 2003:

P. S. TOGA!!!!!

What's toga ?
Dirac

Re:

Postby Anon. on Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:50 pm

A draped garment worn in Roman times, usually represented at modern student parties by a sheet (although they were actually crescent-shaped, not oblong).
Anon.

Re:

Postby sara on Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:01 pm

sounds like a very boys-hall. doubt there are many girls there! just glad i'm not staying there - or near it - to be waterbombed!

silly little boys.
sara

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:57 pm

Fear not there are about equal numbers of guys and girls, and on the most part assasins is taken as a good laugh by all, the bombing of the annexe is not exactly a 24hr bombing tirade, I live in the annexe for 2 years and only once did I feel a water bomb pass the side of my head...loutish perhaps...but do the girls join in? You better believe it. JBH is pretty much seen as the bad boy of St.A hitting the headlines for all the wrong reasons (Where will this years Xmas tree come from?) but seriously its not a horrible place, it truly is a fun packed hall...enjoy!

..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby cheimon on Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:44 pm

but sometimes the boys do tend to sort of dominate the hall, not always in a good way. still, it's usually good fun there, although the main part of the hall is really oddly organized, so certain staircases only go to certain rooms and stuff like that.
cheimon

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board