Home

TheSinner.net

Gowns

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Gowns

Postby Mando on Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:01 am

I see in the pre-sesh pack of leaflets that the gowns are to be sold during freshers' week.

When exactly do people wear the gowns? Regularly? Occasionally? Seldom? Never? And on what occasions does one wear one's gown?

Also are they expensive?

Mando xx (formerly the other Amanda)
Mando

Re:

Postby Neferet on Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:04 am

Some people never wear them, some people wear them occasionally, some live in them.

Depends what kind of things you'll be doing. I guess if you were doing debating then you would wear one more often.

Personally I have never worn one yet.
Neferet

Re:

Postby Ashley on Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:18 am

I ended up getting a gown whilst being a rich Fresher. It had a novelty value during Freshers' but at £100 for a new one it's not cheap...

Still, it's a nice thing to keep and if you're religious and/or verbose you might actually use it a bit.

[hr]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Re:

Postby Morf on Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:51 pm

Gowns started to be forced on students way back, so that the bright red gowns would indicate a student attempting to enter a brothel. I love telling people that who seem to sleep in them. Also if there are three of you wearing gowns, as rumour goes, you can stop the traffic.
Morf

Re:

Postby Cain on Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:51 pm

[s]Morf wrote on 14:51, 16th Sep 2003:
Also if there are three of you wearing gowns, as rumour goes, you can stop the traffic.

never mind the fact that traffic tends to stop for three people crossing the road regardless of what they're wearing...

I bought a 2nd hand gown in freshers week. i think its a good deal, but then i like striding around town with my huge shoulders and my gown billowing out behind me.

wear them for debates, formal dinners in hall, the pier walk, chuirch services, and maybe one or two others. then there's the gown etiquette...

first years wear their gowns tight across their shoulders (but don't fasten the clasp!), 2nd years wear it a bit lower down on the shoulders. 3rd years wear it off one shoulder, depending on whether they are arts or science students and 4th years wear it off both shoulders (hanging on the elbows)
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Neferet on Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:22 pm

And fifth years tie them round their waist ;)
Neferet

Re:

Postby Thackary on Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:54 pm

I believe that 3 or more begowned students technically constitutes a procession, which is why the traffic must stop.
Thackary

Re:

Postby David on Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:16 pm

Gosh they are expensive - £100 for a gown!!!!

Thought they would be only about £20 - £30.

I will buy one though!
David

Re:

Postby immunodiffusion on Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:24 pm

[s]Unregisted User David wrote on 13:02, 16th Sep 2003:
Gosh they are expensive - £100 for a gown!!!!

Thought they would be only about £20 - £30.

You can usually buy second hand ones from between £40 - £70, which are still pretty good quality.
immunodiffusion

Re:

Postby cheimon on Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:11 pm

they're hideous looking, though, sort of orangey-red and dark purple instead of the normal red they're supposed to be. i wouldn't bother, unless you want to go to debates and chapel a lot. or pool together with some friends and share it so you don't all have to pay loads of money,
cheimon

Re:

Postby Anon. on Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:46 pm

Second-hand ones often seem to be too short for the wearer, and they're always more bobbly than new ones.

To buy a new one, you go to B.E.S.S. just outside the Union and get your height measured, then they send off to Ede & Ravenscroft to get it made and it comes back in a few weeks; mine took ages.

I suppose one could go direct through E&R, but I imagine it would be more expensive.
Anon.

Re:

Postby Anon. on Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:55 pm

[s]Thackary wrote on 20:54, 16th Sep 2003:
I believe that 3 or more begowned students technically constitutes a procession, which is why the traffic must stop.

I think that bye-law has been repealed, though. However, as someone else said, the traffic will stop anyway.
Anon.

Re:

Postby Ashley on Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:59 pm

[s]Anon. wrote on 23:46, 16th Sep 2003:
Second-hand ones often seem to be too short for the wearer, and they're always more bobbly than new ones.

To buy a new one, you go to B.E.S.S. just outside the Union and get your height measured, then they send off to Ede & Ravenscroft to get it made and it comes back in a few weeks; mine took ages.

Yes, they are more bobbly.

I didn't have to go and order through E&R though, last Freshers' week. They had a load in one of the rooms upstairs in the union.

[hr]
Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Re:

Postby Barry Joss on Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:05 am

May I recommend the fascinating, and informative, thread on gowns in the Sinner's Guide to St Andrews? Yes, I may. So there we go.
Barry Joss

Postgraduate gowns?

Postby Hum Interesting on Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:29 am

Do postgraduate students wear gowns, or is it just the undergrads?
Hum Interesting

Re:

Postby Valen_gr on Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:51 am

yes they do.I think.I have seen a few wear them.Not the same ones though.Sort of black looking (but not like the divinity ones!)
[i:3qoywpzu]Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe....[/i:3qoywpzu]
Valen_gr

Re:

Postby Anon. on Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:22 am

Postgraduates wear the gown of their degree.

But all this, as Mr Joss said, is discussed in depth here http://www.thesinner.co.uk/article-view.php?article=165 .
Anon.

Re:

Postby immunodiffusion on Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:52 pm

[s]Anon. wrote on 23:46, 16th Sep 2003:

Second-hand ones, the same as new ones, come in a whole variety of different sizes. Therefore, you can get a second hand one which fits you so long as you measure them first rather than just buying any old one.

Also, they come in a whole variety of different conditions - some are really old and bobbly, but then some are really nice and clean because the person who had it before you hardly ever wore it and kept it in good condition.

Mine is 2nd hand but you can't really tell the difference between it and a new one. Also, if you end up with a cheap bobbly one you can take it to a dry-cleaners who will de-bobble it for you for a small charge. Basically, if you're getting a 2nd hand one, be discerning in what you are prepared to buy, and you could get a bargain!
immunodiffusion

Return to The Sinner's Main Board