Home

TheSinner.net

The burning of effigies...

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: The burning of effigies...

Postby macgamer on Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Hennessy wrote: "I'm offended by your comment."

I'd like to open that line up and say what it really means:

"a set of values and colloquial history which I subscribe to when it suits me has been maligned, and using this as an excuse to avoid further scrutiny and possibly losing the argument I'm going to shut you down completely and force you to give a contrived apology."

Sounds like Cranmer's Law:
His Grace wrote:CRANMER’S LAW: “No matter how decent, intelligent or thoughtful the reasoning of a conservative may be, as an argument with a liberal is advanced, the probability of being accused of ‘bigotry’, ‘hatred’ or ‘intolerance’ approaches 1 (100%).”

See also: http://archbishop-cranmer.blogspot.com/2011/09/cranmers-law.html
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908
macgamer

Postby Senethro on Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:35 pm

Hennessy wrote:I ain't done with you yet Senethro. Let's start rowing back towards the topic shall we? Firstly, as you so kindly raised race I'd like to discuss it.

What's most interesting to me, as a "casual racist", is that we've really decided since the Stephen Lawrence verdict, to go down that path, haven't we?

The storm over Diane Abbott's comments (I told you all to watch her). The whites were up in arms over her accusation we "divide and rule" to maintain power. Pathetic of course, totally forseeable for a politician of her caliber. The real story though is the scramble for victim status on behalf of the majority of people in this country, around 90% at last count. The white race is feeling victimised, apparently. I suspect you think it's pathetic because of our history of oppression of the poor natives but I think it's symptomatic of a larger victim culture that's taken root in our country. Sure it started in the black community, fed by the guilt of white intellectuals and taken advantage of by educated and comparatively middle-class blacks like Diane Abbott as a quick route to power.

I don't feel guilty for #tacticsasoldascolonialism, and indeed find it refreshing she tweeted what she meant. In a perfect world I would be able to reply in kind, pointing out what I believe to be several critical failings in the black community in the past thirty odd years since decolonisation. Instead of that though we seem to be moving towards a world where nobody talks about race at all. Ever. I don't believe that's healthy. Why is that? Fear of that God-awful line:

"I'm offended by your comment."

I'd like to open that line up and say what it really means:

"a set of values and colloquial history which I subscribe to when it suits me has been maligned, and using this as an excuse to avoid further scrutiny and possibly losing the argument I'm going to shut you down completely and force you to give a contrived apology."

So we trade the liberty of thought for the ephemeral value of ' not causing offence' to anyone, and indeed I hope the country we create by this intellectual and moral dishonesty is worth it for future generations.

Are you a casual racist though? Do you think I called you that or are you claiming the title for yourself? I think someone who genuinely espoused similar views of his black neighbours might be, depending on their reasoning. Its also possible for non-racists to hold beliefs that are racist for whatever reason.

I'm not the right guy for a sage opinion on this issue, being unremarkable as I am. Yes, I think the angry white people are being huge babies but I don't think they necessarily "learned" sensitivity to criticism from other groups but they've certainly adopted the language and terms. I don't feel able to comment on victim culture as its something I'm not old enough to have seen a change in. I'm not disagreeing that it exists but my observations don't go back far enough to say if it was ever different. Enough people seem to think so though. One thing I think odd is that now any politician a little bit ethnic or female can be said have only achieved their position through a party needing to meet its diversity quota and that this particular suspicion of incompetence never hangs over white men and that apparently this is an ok thing for someone to say and people won't look at you odd for saying it. It looks like a no-win situation as the assertion you seem to be making is that Diane Abbott doesn't deserve her position, but if she didn't have the position at all you'd have no trouble saying that she doesn't deserve it. Do minorities have to try extra hard to be above suspicion? Is this right? I'd like to know what the alternative explanation for low representation of non-white male groups is.

I love the twitter tags people come up with. Brief and pithy. #tacticcsasoldascolonialism is a new one to me. Part of the reason my thoughts on this issue are muddled is that the race terms we use themselves don't have a biological basis. They're social constructions that were themselves a tactic of colonialism. When you say that you don't feel guilty for tactics as old as colonialism, what are you saying?

As an ideal your "liberty of thought" would be great. However, would it ever be used to say anything remotely worthwhile? As an example, nearly all the positions in Macgamers link are awful and really are held almost exclusively by bigots and homophobes. Seeing conservatives adopt the victimised language of marginalised groups is as disturbing as seeing the Tea party use the culture of protest. Yes I'm picking an easy and convenient target here of socially conservative positions that primarily back up their views with irrational religious reasoning but I dread to think what would be said if people felt secure in making similarly targetted statements against non-whites.
Senethro

Postby Hennessy on Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:18 pm

Are you a casual racist though? Do you think I called you that or are you claiming the title for yourself? I think someone who genuinely espoused similar views of his black neighbours might be, depending on their reasoning. Its also possible for non-racists to hold beliefs that are racist for whatever reason.

You called me that. I played up to it to make a point about how indefinable it it can be. My personal views on people are formed as I meet them (or on their post history), but what i really rail against is the 'construct' of a racial group. The 'black community' means nothing, it is split upon hundreds of national, tribal, religious and political lines. Yet Diane Abbott can claim to be its voice and be received by some people as if that were legitimately true, because we have moved into an age where it can be true, no matter how ridiculous it is, and unscrupulous people like Diane Abbot, can cleverly inject an American narrative of longstanding historical grievance and persecution until it is internalised in the black community, and thereby build a new history

The history I'm talking about is what I referred to earlier in this thread, the way it is taught having changed so dramatically from when it was a tool to weld a cohesive, unified national tapestry, in recent years it has become gripped by a succession of divergent popular romantic narratives. Take the current hot-topic of the SNP as an example. Almost everything culturally "Scottish" was invented or cherry-picked in the early 19th century, and almost entirely for an English audience, yet the romantic assertions of it as an ancient and noble culture has without doubt had a not insignificant part to play in Scottish nationalism. The same force is at play by a black elite (which Diane unfortunately represents) seeking to redefine race relations to enhance their own power base, essentially re-writing a new popular history for an ill-defined community they wish to represent and profit politically by.

I'm not the right guy for a sage opinion on this issue, being unremarkable as I am. Yes, I think the angry white people are being huge babies but I don't think they necessarily "learned" sensitivity to criticism from other groups but they've certainly adopted the language and terms. I don't feel able to comment on victim culture as its something I'm not old enough to have seen a change in. I'm not disagreeing that it exists but my observations don't go back far enough to say if it was ever different. Enough people seem to think so though. One thing I think odd is that now any politician a little bit ethnic or female can be said have only achieved their position through a party needing to meet its diversity quota and that this particular suspicion of incompetence never hangs over white men and that apparently this is an ok thing for someone to say and people won't look at you odd for saying it. It looks like a no-win situation as the assertion you seem to be making is that Diane Abbott doesn't deserve her position, but if she didn't have the position at all you'd have no trouble saying that she doesn't deserve it. Do minorities have to try extra hard to be above suspicion? Is this right? I'd like to know what the alternative explanation for low representation of non-white male groups is.

I've made bold the salient sentences I'd like to deal with:

The suspicion of incompetence does hang over white men, it's just relatively ineffective to attack them upon racial lines as they are part of the majority. Instead the criticism hangs on class lines usually, because while you can't label someone out of touch for being from an different race or sex to the majority, you can definitely label them that if they went to a good school. The suspicion is widely (and on personal experience, incorrectly) held that Tories are selected because they attended Eton, or went to one or two particularly raucous after-dinner clubs, is that any different to the suspicion blacks and women are selected because they "fit" a certain social type?

Your other main point is subjective. Where ethnic minority candidates in positions of power have not in the past chosen to self-identify with a larger outside group they are judged according to their individual merits. Where a candidate has been absorbed into a larger outside group to the point of representing it in almost every action and statement then of course they are going to have to work extra hard to be "above suspicion", much in the same way an MP is held to a higher standard than an ordinary member of the public because they're seen to represent much more than themselves.

I love the twitter tags people come up with. Brief and pithy. #tacticcsasoldascolonialism is a new one to me. Part of the reason my thoughts on this issue are muddled is that the race terms we use themselves don't have a biological basis. They're social constructions that were themselves a tactic of colonialism. When you say that you don't feel guilty for tactics as old as colonialism, what are you saying?

That I don't feel guilty for history? Much as on a personal level I might have loved to have been at Rourke's Drift singing "Men of Harlech" in some mythical fantasy of what actually happened, I wasn't. I hold no stake in "the white race" or "colonialism", or the views of the past. Neither should I feel like I have to apologise for them or seek to "make up" for the past by playing into the modern continuation of those racial "tactics of colonialism" that have been appropriated to the advantage of the elites of those "communities" who were affected by them. I'm outside an argument about colonialism and race that ethnic elites are largely having with themselves, and should they choose to drag me into it - well, look at what happened to Diane Abbot's tweet (to another member of the "black community"). Didn't it seem just a bit out of touch with what we consider 21st century Britain?

As an ideal your "liberty of thought" would be great. However, would it ever be used to say anything remotely worthwhile? As an example, nearly all the positions in Macgamers link are awful and really are held almost exclusively by bigots and homophobes. Seeing conservatives adopt the victimised language of marginalised groups is as disturbing as seeing the Tea party use the culture of protest. Yes I'm picking an easy and convenient target here of socially conservative positions that primarily back up their views with irrational religious reasoning but I dread to think what would be said if people felt secure in making similarly targetted statements against non-whites.

You're worried "social conservatives" might run around calling everyone with a tan a nigger and talking about slavery? I think it's fairly easy to identify when someone is using a word as an insult, it's more about the tone that the actual word. I'm not afraid of the word nigger, but neither would I possibly forsee I would have cause to use it, as contrary to some opinions I am unerringly polite and considerate in everyday life. What I'd use the new-found liberty of thought to do would be to ask real questions free from fear of racially based retaliation. If you'd read this far I've tried to give you the lens which I see through, so just try and bear that in mind:

Here's two questions, as examples:

Why do proportionately more black people go to jail for crime in Britain?
We all know the easy answer, and I think we know why its not helping anyone either. If you really want to investigate deep seated problems amongst black people (note I'm not saying "the black community") prepare to be attacked regularly by people like Diane Abbott. Her position depends on her monopoly of "black issues" and crowd pleasing assaults on "racism", and so on the presumption the problems she is prolonging are not tackled by those who can help. They might be white after all.

Why does the British Pakistani "community" have a significant rape problem?
Jack Straw was incredibly brave and felt honour-bound to raise this issue after he'd retired and it couldn't affect him politically. I've raise the rape problem in dominant muslim enclaves elsewhere on this site so I don't wish to do it again, but at least he did mention it. He was immediately criticised by those peddling the equally derisive myth of a united "muslim community", this was their domain, evidently.

So look, basically what I'm saying is "racism" in the way we're taught to think about it isn't about race at all, it's about power. Those few who can use the ladder of "race" prosper, and in allowing this we're creating yet another divergent popular history and sealing injustice and poverty into a group of people. All we've done with modern thinking about race is create elites that our own elite can talk to, as long as they prop up their own power by talking about racial injustice, much in the same way a nationalist would talk about the historical grievances of their "nation". It's all constructs, man. Throw the fucking doors wide open already and let everyone be equal.

Macgamer:
We should also have a discussion about why people holding certain points of view frequently profess physical symptoms associated with their point of view. Senethro feels physically sick when we talk about race, for instance.
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby Senethro on Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:39 am

so black people are the real racists, not white dudes living in a nation that has clearly benefitted from centuries of colonialism but who want to draw the starting lines for a racially neutral future rigth where things are now

well fuck me sideways
Senethro

Postby jequirity on Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:56 pm

Senethro wrote:so black people are the real racists, not white dudes living in a nation that has clearly benefitted from centuries of colonialism but who want to draw the starting lines for a racially neutral future rigth where things are now

well fuck me sideways

Dispose of the chip on your shoulder and re-read his post before making clumsy conclusions. Try addressing each of his points in a balanced manner.
jequirity

Postby Senethro on Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:19 pm

Hennessy wrote:

You called me that. I played up to it to make a point about how indefinable it it can be. My personal views on people are formed as I meet them (or on their post history), but what i really rail against is the 'construct' of a racial group. The 'black community' means nothing, it is split upon hundreds of national, tribal, religious and political lines. Yet Diane Abbott can claim to be its voice and be received by some people as if that were legitimately true, because we have moved into an age where it can be true, no matter how ridiculous it is, and unscrupulous people like Diane Abbot, can cleverly inject an American narrative of longstanding historical grievance and persecution until it is internalised in the black community, and thereby build a new history

The history I'm talking about is what I referred to earlier in this thread, the way it is taught having changed so dramatically from when it was a tool to weld a cohesive, unified national tapestry, in recent years it has become gripped by a succession of divergent popular romantic narratives. Take the current hot-topic of the SNP as an example. Almost everything culturally "Scottish" was invented or cherry-picked in the early 19th century, and almost entirely for an English audience, yet the romantic assertions of it as an ancient and noble culture has without doubt had a not insignificant part to play in Scottish nationalism. The same force is at play by a black elite (which Diane unfortunately represents) seeking to redefine race relations to enhance their own power base, essentially re-writing a new popular history for an ill-defined community they wish to represent and profit politically by.

I've made bold the salient sentences I'd like to deal with:

The suspicion of incompetence does hang over white men, it's just relatively ineffective to attack them upon racial lines as they are part of the majority. Instead the criticism hangs on class lines usually, because while you can't label someone out of touch for being from an different race or sex to the majority, you can definitely label them that if they went to a good school. The suspicion is widely (and on personal experience, incorrectly) held that Tories are selected because they attended Eton, or went to one or two particularly raucous after-dinner clubs, is that any different to the suspicion blacks and women are selected because they "fit" a certain social type?

I think it was pretty good for a Friday night post.

These are pretty much the exact terrible conservative opinions on race I was dreading. The assertion that the unscrupulous blacks are creating an unwarranted narrative of persecution as a tool to extract concessions from the blameless european colonialist states and that this is displacing "real" history is really fucking bizarre.

Lets just remember another thing. Why was Scottishness invented? Because it was utterly destroyed in previous centuries. All current tartans are variations of Blackwatch, the only tartan to survive because the rest were one of various forbidden cultural symbols. Why is it all Americans claim Scottish descent? Because ethnic cleansing pushed Scottish lower classes and undesireables out to the colonies. Yes, current Scottish people are fully assimilated Anglo-Celts that might barely be recognised or be mutually intelligible with some of their forefathers. Is the SNP's use of history and stuff overly romanticised? Pretty much. If there were large remaining inequalities in legal, social or economic status of Scots there might indeed be cause for grievance here. Thankfully the assimilation did extend these privileges to the Scottish and they certainly benefitted from being part of the British Empires core. But I think its interesting that you pick out this example of an ethnic group having inauthentic history of struggle and persecution.

Are you seriously trying to cast Etonians as victims? That they're a group unfairly regarded as not having earned their achievements? Do you not think its really disingenuous to compare the terrible struggle of the elite in society to be accepted with that of members of historically under-privileged groups?

Your other main point is subjective.

oh huh really

Where ethnic minority candidates in positions of power have not in the past chosen to self-identify with a larger outside group they are judged according to their individual merits.

is this a thing that is true

Where a candidate has been absorbed into a larger outside group to the point of representing it in almost every action and statement then of course they are going to have to work extra hard to be "above suspicion", much in the same way an MP is held to a higher standard than an ordinary member of the public because they're seen to represent much more than themselves.

what

what

can you just clarify this please because i'm sure you don't mean to say that ethnic minority candidates should be held to be representing their group and be under extra scrutiny

i mean do you think its inevitable and to be expected or is it right and good?

That I don't feel guilty for history? Much as on a personal level I might have loved to have been at Rourke's Drift singing "Men of Harlech" in some mythical fantasy of what actually happened, I wasn't.

*nudge wink* i wanna shoot some darkies

I hold no stake in "the white race" or "colonialism", or the views of the past.

you'll just be a citizen of a nation that built its infrastructure on colonialism at the cost of others but its got nothing to do with you

Neither should I feel like I have to apologise for them or seek to "make up" for the past by playing into the modern continuation of those racial "tactics of colonialism" that have been appropriated to the advantage of the elites of those "communities" who were affected by them.

mmmhmm youre being unjustly persecuted i can see that

I'm outside an argument about colonialism and race that ethnic elites are largely having with themselves, and should they choose to drag me into it - well, look at what happened to Diane Abbot's tweet (to another member of the "black community"). Didn't it seem just a bit out of touch with what we consider 21st century Britain?

21st century Britain is still Britain, how long ago did the last briton to be born under victoria die?

You're worried "social conservatives" might run around calling everyone with a tan a nigger and talking about slavery?

youve said in this post that you would like to have killed black people (zulu). now of course youll say its a joke and that im being a big sensitive liberal but it is a pretty shitheaded thing to say when you think about it really huh

you can be damn sure the newspapers would be all over someone even a little bit brown talking about breaking the cracker slavemasters neck right

its almost as if different standards are at work, maybe something about that white sensitivity noted earlier

why is it that you feel able to make that joke

shit you probably didnt even notice that you made it and that in itself is telling

what is it that you have

begins with a p

I think it's fairly easy to identify when someone is using a word as an insult, it's more about the tone that the actual word. I'm not afraid of the word nigger, but neither would I possibly forsee I would have cause to use it, as contrary to some opinions I am unerringly polite and considerate in everyday life.

fuck its not about being scared of the word but realizing that in a particular context and relationship its one person refusing to recognise anothers humanity

thats a big deal its a serious word

i'm sure that even you realize on some level that its not just impolite to use it, its some whole other level of terribleness

if you're not going to be scared of it (and honestly i am a little) then at least give it a little respect

afterwards you can give yourself a pat on the back for being extra-considerate

What I'd use the new-found liberty of thought to do would be to ask real questions free from fear of racially based retaliation. If you'd read this far I've tried to give you the lens which I see through, so just try and bear that in mind:

Here's two questions, as examples:

Why do proportionately more black people go to jail for crime in Britain?
We all know the easy answer, and I think we know why its not helping anyone either. If you really want to investigate deep seated problems amongst black people (note I'm not saying "the black community") prepare to be attacked regularly by people like Diane Abbott. Her position depends on her monopoly of "black issues" and crowd pleasing assaults on "racism", and so on the presumption the problems she is prolonging are not tackled by those who can help. They might be white after all.

Why does the British Pakistani "community" have a significant rape problem?
Jack Straw was incredibly brave and felt honour-bound to raise this issue after he'd retired and it couldn't affect him politically. I've raise the rape problem in dominant muslim enclaves elsewhere on this site so I don't wish to do it again, but at least he did mention it. He was immediately criticised by those peddling the equally derisive myth of a united "muslim community", this was their domain, evidently.

So look, basically what I'm saying is "racism" in the way we're taught to think about it isn't about race at all, it's about power. Those few who can use the ladder of "race" prosper, and in allowing this we're creating yet another divergent popular history and sealing injustice and poverty into a group of people. All we've done with modern thinking about race is create elites that our own elite can talk to, as long as they prop up their own power by talking about racial injustice, much in the same way a nationalist would talk about the historical grievances of their "nation". It's all constructs, man. Throw the fucking doors wide open already and let everyone be equal.

well intentioned white people with sincere insightful statements related to racial groups persecuted and have their opinions suppressed by elite community leaders

what kind of nation is this where we can't speak freely huh

Macgamer:
We should also have a discussion about why people holding certain points of view frequently profess physical symptoms associated with their point of view. Senethro feels physically sick when we talk about race, for instance.

because you never fail to be awful and then my little fingers cramp up and i can no longer find the shift keys
Senethro

Postby Hennessy on Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:49 am

The assertion that the unscrupulous blacks are creating an unwarranted narrative of persecution as a tool ... is really fucking bizarre.

I'm going to mention this more but why is it bizarre to assert this? I'd actually love to hear your perspective, Senethro, but you don't seem very keen to give it.

The Scottish argument wasn't about specifics, it was intended to illustrate broader populist shifts that use similar methods. You're trying to pin down specific events without that context, and to be honest reading your paragraph you seem to waver between half-agreeing with me and trying to introduce ethnic cleansing and genocide (both highly charged and emotional terms) into the genesis of the political tactics I discussed. But what actually happened doesn't matter to those who maintain their new narratives are the same as the historical ones they replace, like a ship of Theseus, so the point is moot.

But I think its interesting that you pick out this example of an ethnic group having inauthentic history of struggle and persecution.

Why? Expand.

Do you not think its really disingenuous to compare the terrible struggle of the elite in society to be accepted with that of members of historically under-privileged groups?

Firstly, "historically under-privileged groups" is fraught with difficulty, you're relying on the easy standby of the language of those "oppressed". Strip away that emotional dogma and there's not very much left of your point, is there? Do I believe it is wrong white Tories are criticized at the same level as ethnic minority and women candidates? As they are all actual or potential MP's I believe it is an essential and valuable part of their parliamentary legitimacy they are all criticized equally. You sound like you're arguing for special privileges.

can you just clarify this please because i'm sure you don't mean to say that ethnic minority candidates should be held to be representing their group and be under extra scrutiny

Any one person who claims to represent more than themselves in word or deed must be held to a higher standard in public life than the average of the persons they claim to represent. Judging by your reaction you seemed to nearly succumb to an apoplexy on replying to that point. Is that, I wonder, because I am applying the same measure to black people as I would to white people?

*nudge wink* i wanna shoot some darkies

Have you ever seen the film? A product of the 1960s, it didn't attempt to apologise for Empire either. It's also a bloody good anti-war film, I'd suggest you watch it again, it's not as black and white as it seems.

you'll just be a citizen of a nation that built its infrastructure on colonialism at the cost of others but its got nothing to do with you

Do you seriously consider it to be a norm as a society that we are all responsible as individuals for our ancestors' actions? How long does this accountability last, and is it just relevant to us as "whites" or does it apply for every descendant of those who aided and abetted the evil Empire? You see by extension how, essentially, you've clumsily reversed the charge sheet of Empire because it suddenly suits you. Implicit in this is that a you are simply acting on the behalf of an aggrieved party, hinting at the extraction of future concessions to correct the situation. I've seen it before, though. It's a move others have pulled, and continue to pull, and it still amazes me how it baffles and harangues one into submission. It relies on ignorance and on the attendant guilt of that ignorance, that "emotional" investment in an argument you memorably discussed in an earlier post.

You pretty much go ape-shit after this statement, contradicting yourself several times and throwing out unrelated BS which I won't dignify with an answer. I can't say I'm surprised, but at least my colours are nailed to the mast if anyone wants to talk about it. I don't have all the answers but at least it's not all regurgitated nonsense.
The Sinner.
Hennessy

Postby Senethro on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:47 am

This is what i was talking about with you and trolling last page. You're a contrarian who dismisses intellectual arguments as lacking punch and not having resonance with your gut whereupon you refuse to engage with points made (witness that feminism thread), but who is quite happy to suddenly claim high ground and denounce others as subjective/emotional.

You're intellectually dishonest. You intentionally misrepresent your own positions when it suits you, even to be as classless to put up racist trolls, and you disengage by whatever means offers itself.

Right now I'm asking myself why respond to a guy who doesn't examine his own statements and at any moment will declare replies to be the wrong kind of post for today. I'm still stupid enough to think that some things are important so heres the bit that I think is most accessible.

Hennessy wrote:

Any one person who claims to represent more than themselves in word or deed must be held to a higher standard in public life than the average of the persons they claim to represent. Judging by your reaction you seemed to nearly succumb to an apoplexy on replying to that point. Is that, I wonder, because I am applying the same measure to black people as I would to white people?

You're not applying the same measures to the different groups even as you say you are. Can you not read what you've written?

Who is the white community leader? Why wouldn't you get any agreement over who it is? Why is it the white majority needs visible figureheads to represent other groups and assigns them? The choice for the minorities is to let chance/whim/the media assign visible figureheads or to try to get their own out there ahead of time. Sucky choice.

White people are never taken to be representative of their own race. When they're bad they're just lone shitheads and bad apples.

Different standards. But you can't even see this because you've accepted the system of different treatments to such an extent that they honestly look the same to you.
Senethro

Postby RedCelt69 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:00 pm

Here are some notes from a political philosophy module:-

Iris Marion Young - Justice and the Politics of Difference (1990)
Power is used to oppress and dominate.

‘By domination I mean structural or systematic phenomena which exclude people from participating in determining their actions or the conditions of their actions.’ (31)

‘Oppression consists in systemic institutional processes which prevent some people from learning and using satisfying and expansive skills in socially recognized settings, or institutionalised social processes which inhibit people’s ability to play and communicate with others or to express their feelings and perspective on social life in contexts where others can listen’ (38)

The idea is that some groups within society face structural oppression qua groups.

Social Group – ‘a collective of persons differentiated from at least one other group by cultural forms, practices, or way of life.’ (43) Group membership is constitutive of our identities.

The 5 ‘faces’ of oppression: Exploitation in labour market; Marginalization from participation in mainstream society; Powerlessness in the ability to affect change to one’s circumstances; Cultural Imperialism as the failure to recognise standards other than the dominant culture; Violence in the form of intimidation and harassment on the grounds of identity. Note that these are ‘structural’, they do not depend on conscious action by individuals.

‘The politics of difference sometimes implies overriding a principle of equal treatment with the principle that group differences should be acknowledged in public policy and in the policies and procedures of economic institutions, in order to reduce actual or potential oppression.’ (11)

Specific representation of groups in the political process (184). But this group representation, and any special privileges, should only be accorded to oppressed groups.

Affirmative action policies are to be welcomed, not as a stepping stone to some putative meritocracy, but as of value in and of themselves. Merit is a myth (202-3) - examinations are not valid tests and favour the dominant groups.

I found Young's position to be a depressing portrayal of liberalism; mainly, because she wasn't being liberal. Looking for differences-of-birth and assigning people into "communities" (based on those differences) isn't liberalism. A liberal seeks to treat people as equals... or, rather, as having an equal right to equality which can be improved or devalued based on their actions in life.

It was depressing because I've seen and heard advocates of Young's position in many different places - including the morons who call themselves feminists.

A clarion-call of liberal sanity soon appeared, however, and it is Barry's position that should be listened to by anyone who claims to be a liberal.

Brian Barry - Culture and Equality: An Egalitarian Critique of Multiculturalism (2001)
‘It is not so much a case of reinventing the wheel as forgetting why the wheel was invented and advocating the reintroduction of the sledge.’ (11)

‘The politics of difference is a formula for manufacturing conflict, because it rewards the groups that can most effectively mobilize to make claims on the polity, or at any rate it rewards ethno-cultural political entrepreneurs who can exploit its potential for their own ends by mobilizing a constituency around a set of sectional interests.’ (21)

All law involves discrimination. The law against rape protects women while ‘discriminating’ against men who want to force them to have sex. (34).

No culture has a right to survive. Cultures and groups do not have ‘rights’, their individual members are the right carriers.

(71) Young overplays the problems between liberalism and group membership. Liberalism does not reject group membership in favour of autonomy (121) instead they allow the scope for choice and movement between communities.

‘The driving force behind Young’s advocacy of group proportionality is the idea that different ways of life pursued by different groups should have no effect on their collective success: the processes by which institutions such as those of the market and democratic political competition produce winners and losers in accordance with differential behaviour are to be overridden in the name of equality for groups.’ (95)

The problem for Young is that cultures have propositional content. They make claims about facts and values, and not to make evaluations between these is a very odd place to be. If all social life is political and open to activist manipulation, as Young suggests, she is left with no principled way of distinguishing between the content of group beliefs. What, after all, was the Ku Klux Klan, if not a cultural group trying to defend its way of life?

‘Equal respect for people cannot therefore entail respect for their cultures when these cultures systematically give priority to, say, the interests of men over the interests of women.’ (127).

A group’s power to enforce its norms must be limited by liberal constraints.

If a liberal is not somebody who believes that liberalism is true, what is a liberal? There are certain individual rights that trump claims of toleration and that is that.

Barry argues for the importance of universal education for liberalism. Education gives people the tools to make informed decisions, to decide what group beliefs to accept. The restriction on the content of education is limited to the assertion that ‘children should not be taught what is false’ (235).

The appeal to ‘my culture’ is a refusal to participate in rational discussion (254). To say ‘my people have always done this’, does not answer the point that it may be time they stopped doing it.

Amen.

Diane Abbot made a very stupid remark. She knew it was stupid and immediately apologised for her stupidity. Saying that it was more (or less) stupid than a similar comment made by a white person rather misses the original point: stupidity isn't restricted to one race.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby Senethro on Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:59 pm

RedCelt69 wrote:
Brian Barry - Culture and Equality: An Egalitarian Critique of Multiculturalism (2001)
‘It is not so much a case of reinventing the wheel as forgetting why the wheel was invented and advocating the reintroduction of the sledge.’ (11)

‘The politics of difference is a formula for manufacturing conflict, because it rewards the groups that can most effectively mobilize to make claims on the polity, or at any rate it rewards ethno-cultural political entrepreneurs who can exploit its potential for their own ends by mobilizing a constituency around a set of sectional interests.’ (21)

All law involves discrimination. The law against rape protects women while ‘discriminating’ against men who want to force them to have sex. (34).

No culture has a right to survive. Cultures and groups do not have ‘rights’, their individual members are the right carriers.

(71) Young overplays the problems between liberalism and group membership. Liberalism does not reject group membership in favour of autonomy (121) instead they allow the scope for choice and movement between communities.

‘The driving force behind Young’s advocacy of group proportionality is the idea that different ways of life pursued by different groups should have no effect on their collective success: the processes by which institutions such as those of the market and democratic political competition produce winners and losers in accordance with differential behaviour are to be overridden in the name of equality for groups.’ (95)

The problem for Young is that cultures have propositional content. They make claims about facts and values, and not to make evaluations between these is a very odd place to be. If all social life is political and open to activist manipulation, as Young suggests, she is left with no principled way of distinguishing between the content of group beliefs. What, after all, was the Ku Klux Klan, if not a cultural group trying to defend its way of life?

‘Equal respect for people cannot therefore entail respect for their cultures when these cultures systematically give priority to, say, the interests of men over the interests of women.’ (127).

A group’s power to enforce its norms must be limited by liberal constraints.

If a liberal is not somebody who believes that liberalism is true, what is a liberal? There are certain individual rights that trump claims of toleration and that is that.

Barry argues for the importance of universal education for liberalism. Education gives people the tools to make informed decisions, to decide what group beliefs to accept. The restriction on the content of education is limited to the assertion that ‘children should not be taught what is false’ (235).

The appeal to ‘my culture’ is a refusal to participate in rational discussion (254). To say ‘my people have always done this’, does not answer the point that it may be time they stopped doing it.

Who is saying what here? I'm having trouble parsing all the quotes. Or are they all Barry and hes just quoting himself from different sources?

Red Celt, when should progressive taxation be ended in favour of a universal flat tax, because (a narrow reading of) equality of treatment always overrides any addressing of inequality of outcome, and the market/electoral system are equally available, neutral and unbiased decision making systems giving just outcomes.
Senethro

Postby macgamer on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:24 am

Hennessy wrote:Macgamer:

It's certainly worthy of psychoanalysis.

I often wonder whether left-wingers / liberals are capable of self-deprecation or self-humour. Its frequent absence may explain the neuroses (evidenced by the physical symptoms) when they encounter challenges to their own world view, or what is now establishment opinion.

Although, it appears that occasionally they are capable of seeing the ridiculousness of the behaviour and thinking of their own. This political parody by Corey Robin looks hilarious:
http://www.spectator.co.uk/books/blog/7581028/the-laughing-lefty.thtml
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
macgamer

Postby RedCelt69 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:56 pm

macgamer wrote:I often wonder whether left-wingers / liberals are capable of self-deprecation or self-humour. Its frequent absence may explain the neuroses (evidenced by the physical symptoms) when they encounter challenges to their own world view[...]"

It is more than a little funny that you find "left-wingers / liberals" lacking in humour. Perhaps you haven't accounted for the black cloud that floats above your head that kills the humour in anyone who doesn't take their moral compass from a centuries-dead saint, with a questionable ability at differentiating the taste of herrings and pilchards.

macgamer wrote:[...]or what is now establishment opinion.

There is a considerable amount of "establishment opinion" that is contrary to your strange views. You've never been very jocular about those. Unless "establishment opinion" translates to "my opinion" in your Aquinian mind.

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby macgamer on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:42 am

RedCelt69 wrote:It is more than a little funny that you find "left-wingers / liberals" lacking in humour. Perhaps you haven't accounted for the black cloud that floats above your head that kills the humour in anyone who doesn't take their moral compass from a centuries-dead saint, with a questionable ability at differentiating the taste of herrings and pilchards.

The last time I checked there weren't any 'fathers' of Marxist philosophy still alive either. At least Aquinas, at the end of his life, saw his philosophical / theological works in context, i.e., they were limited. I don't recall such humility being said of Marx, Engels or Gramsci.

I hadn't heard about the herring / pilchard tasting (personally, I prefer pilchards), but then Engels was quite the connaisseur of champagne. Each to their own I suppose.

I'll look out for that black cloud, or perhaps it's just liberals that can see it.

RedCelt69 wrote:

There is a considerable amount of "establishment opinion" that is contrary to your strange views. You've never been very jocular about those. Unless "establishment opinion" translates to "my opinion" in your Aquinian mind.[/quote]
No, not at all. I see myself as counter-cultural or perhaps even anti-establishment. The establishment is liberal now, that was my point. It's the underlying joke in Corey Robin's book: the revolution is over; it has achieved its aim. Society and culture has been changed unrecognisably from what came before. Those who were radicals and revolutionaries are now the establishment figures. Call me a reactionary or a fifth-columnist if you like.
macgamer

Postby jollytiddlywink on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:49 am

macgamer wrote:No, not at all. I see myself as counter-cultural or perhaps even anti-establishment. The establishment is liberal now, that was my point. It's the underlying joke in Corey Robin's book: the revolution is over; it has achieved its aim. Society and culture has been changed unrecognisably from what came before. Those who were radicals and revolutionaries are now the establishment figures. Call me a reactionary or a fifth-columnist if you like.

I'm not sure that you'd qualify as a fifth-columnist, but I think that counter-cultural and anti-establishment are hardly the right terms. You proclaim your membership and adherance to an organisation that has (or, rather, claims to have) a billion members, and you aren't exactly anti-establishment when that organisation has a well-known hierarchy with a man at the top whose claims you assidiously defend.
That is text-book establishment and anything but counter-culture.

I still don't see how the Tory-soc burning Obama isn't at least heavily tinged with racism. It's not as if his political positions are much different from theirs; have the seen the guys who are wanting to oppose Obama in November? They make Thatcher look like Tony Benn!
Pointing out that the Tory-soc have also burned white people in effigy doesn't mean that burning the Obama effigy wasn't racist... it just means that sometimes they burn effigies for non-racist reasons.
jollytiddlywink

Postby RedCelt69 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:56 am

macgamer wrote:The last time I checked there weren't any 'fathers' of Marxist philosophy still alive either.

How did you get to Marx from "left-wingers / liberals"? Do they equate to the same thing in your mind? Liberalism and social equality long predate Marx. If Jesus had accompanied Marx to the Manchester mills, he would have been in broad agreement that humans shouldn't be treated like that. You remember Jesus, yeah? You think his politics were anything like yours? What with you claiming to be a Christian, and all...

macgamer wrote:At least Aquinas, at the end of his life, saw his philosophical / theological works in context, i.e., they were limited.

Well, every philosophical view is limited... but here's the thing; Aquinas' views covered the physical world and the spiritual world. Secular philosophy covers just the physical world. So, calling Aquinas' position more limited than the likes of Marx is immediately (and patently) false.

macgamer wrote:I hadn't heard about the herring / pilchard tasting (personally, I prefer pilchards), but then Engels was quite the connaisseur of champagne. Each to their own I suppose.

You didn't know how your role-model gained his sainthood? My oh my. And the little "Champagne Socialist" jibe, you original right-winger, you.

macgamer wrote:I see myself as counter-cultural or perhaps even anti-establishment[...]Call me a reactionary or a fifth-columnist if you like.

We've had this discussion before. You have an unfailing inability to take on board corrections to your false claims. You're not anti-establishment. You are an extreme example of an establishment puppet. Honestly, anyone who wants to set up an establishment of any kind absolutely dreams of a population as acquiescently obedient as you. I'm pretty sure that I once asked you to provide examples of disagreements between yourself and the pope. I'm still waiting for an answer... you rebel, that you are.

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby macgamer on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:09 am

jollytiddlywink wrote:I'm not sure that you'd qualify as a fifth-columnist, but I think that counter-cultural and anti-establishment are hardly the right terms. You proclaim your membership and adherance to an organisation that has (or, rather, claims to have) a billion members, and you aren't exactly anti-establishment when that organisation has a well-known hierarchy with a man at the top whose claims you assidiously defend.
That is text-book establishment and anything but counter-culture.

Clearly we disagree on how we see the establishment: is it left-wing / liberal or is it right-wing / conservative. Catholicism hasn't exactly been establishment or the native culture since ~1535, so in that sense being Catholic is counter-cultural. Moreover, Catholics oppose the prevaling mores in Britain today. Yes, I'm establishment, but not this establishment.

I still don't see how the Tory-soc burning Obama isn't at least heavily tinged with racism. It's not as if his political positions are much different from theirs; have the seen the guys who are wanting to oppose Obama in November? They make Thatcher look like Tony Benn!
Pointing out that the Tory-soc have also burned white people in effigy doesn't mean that burning the Obama effigy wasn't racist... it just means that sometimes they burn effigies for non-racist reasons.

I'm not defending what the Conservatives and Unionists did. A non-racist reason to burn an Obama effigy would be the fact that he's an incorrigible socialist. They were pretty foolish to burn his effigy because, as they have found, it is very difficult to convince people that the sentiment wasn't racist.
macgamer

Postby macgamer on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:35 am

RedCelt69 wrote:How did you get to Marx from "left-wingers / liberals"? Do they equate to the same thing in your mind? Liberalism and social equality long predate Marx. If Jesus had accompanied Marx to the Manchester mills, he would have been in broad agreement that humans shouldn't be treated like that. You remember Jesus, yeah? You think his politics were anything like yours? What with you claiming to be a Christian, and all...

Yes, liberalism is a different to Marxism. However, the effect of Marxism can be seen in so-called liberals today. They call themselves liberals, but really they are merely cultural Marxists. New Labour were very clever. They discarded the more objectional bits of Old Labour, but represented the insidious aspests of Marxism as a new ideology, giving it a broader acceptability.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for classical liberalism and social justice, but Marxism has no respect for the individual.

RedCelt69 wrote:Well, every philosophical view is limited... but here's the thing; Aquinas' views covered the physical world and the spiritual world. Secular philosophy covers just the physical world. So, calling Aquinas' position more limited than the likes of Marx is immediately (and patently) false.

I was trying to think of a more suitable word than 'limited' therefore, I didn't necessarily mere limited in scope, but rather that Aquinas recognised his work would be surpassed and improved on. Furthermore, that human knowledge and understanding will always have its shortcomings and imperfections compared with the Divine.

RedCelt69 wrote:You didn't know how your role-model gained his sainthood? My oh my. And the little "Champagne Socialist" jibe, you original right-winger, you.

I'm genuinely interested, was there some fishy miracle? As for 'champagne socialist', how could I resist? :D You give me a ribbing, so I thought it only fair that I'd give you a little dig.

RedCelt69 wrote:We've had this discussion before. You have an unfailing inability to take on board corrections to your false claims. You're not anti-establishment. You are an extreme example of an establishment puppet. Honestly, anyone who wants to set up an establishment of any kind absolutely dreams of a population as acquiescently obedient as you. I'm pretty sure that I once asked you to provide examples of disagreements between yourself and the pope. I'm still waiting for an answer... you rebel, that you are.

As I said in my reply to jollytiddlywink, it depends on how you consider the establishment in Britain and with which establishments my loyalties lie. Perhaps 'subversive papist' is a better term for me.

I don't expect you to understand (or want to), but I'll try to explain that what can be taken for blind obedience is not what it seems. Just because I do not disagree with the teachings of the Catholic Church, in matters of faith and morals, does not mean I've not thought about it. I inform myself why the Church teaches what she does, then I assent to its teachings.

Blessed John Henry Newman explained this much better than I ever will in his An Essay in Aid of a Grammar of Assent.
Some relevant URLs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammar_of_Assent
http://www.newmanreader.org/works/grammar/index.html - Full text

If I feel that a cleric needs to be criticised, I will. For example, a couple of years back I criticised Archbishop Vincent Nichols by asking His Grace, in front of 200 people, whether he thought it prudent and just that a notorious dissident Catholic and former MP has been appointed as the Deputy Director of the Catholic Education Service. His answer was that of a politician and rather patronising, thus didn't go down with me or the rest of the conservative Catholic audience.

Although, this probably demonstrates that I'm fairly ultra-montane, rather than anti-establishment. Again, the question is which establishment.
macgamer

Postby Hennessy on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:24 pm

The Sinner.
Hennessy

Postby The Cellar Bar on Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:38 pm

And the Brits better get more William Wallaces because all your cordiality is going to land you in trouble.’

‘She’s scary to liberal women because she’s all that and a bag of chips.’

Joe Biden, he says, is ‘nuttier than squirrel do-do’

And if you worried about Palin having her finger on the nuclear trigger, well, ‘Obama’s got his finger on it and he’s never going to push it whatever happens.’

yup - sounds like the quality of intellectual rigour and contribution you can expect from the deep thinkers on the Right!!!

Good to know he's up to speed on who William Wallace was tho - education is always welcome in others.

And of course, "Jackson is a devotee of the school that says people should drag themselves up by their bootstraps."....... not for him the notion that this "ethic" flies fully and energetically in the face of the first three words of the Declaration of Independence - "We the People" - with the imperative and implication that it is as a combined unit that the "new country" was to flourish. It was in fact only in later years, after the Bushes and Rockerfellers and others got to work that that notion of working together - barn raising parties and all - was abandoned in favour of all-out attention to self and let others rot.*

So eminently summed up by his "true conservative" icon of Thatcher who so memorably declared that "there is no such thing as society, only family and friends"

And of course "‘Essentially the riots were just a reason for people who are too lazy to have accomplished something for themselves to have an excuse to take from somebody else. Those guys believe that something is owing to them. They have been taught this by the left.’

Of course it was, of course it was .....and not, as has been recognised by many actually on the ground in London, even remotely connected to the fact that all the benefits and work and reward associated with the Olympics in London, promised by the likes of construction companies, went out of the window when same businesses shipped in cheap labour from Europe to do all the work. At the expense of the area already blighted by unemployment and social deprivation for which the Games promised so much in terms of employment. See above *

And the article's relevance to whether or not the education system in this country still allows "graduates" of public schools to burn in effigy anyone with whom they disagree and who see a mix of King Arthur and good ole John Bull to be relevant to the future of 21st century Britain?

None at all so far as I can make out.
The Cellar Bar

Postby wild_quinine on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:47 am

I like the idea that in an alternative Universe somewhere none of this happened and we never heard about it because one of the Conservatives on the beach suddenly realised 'Wait, wait, we can't burn this guy! He's black! Let's stick Biden up there instead. He'll do, in a pinch.'

Now obviously it would have been safer for the conservatives to never burn a black man's effigy, simply for the expedient reason of never finding themselves in a situation like this. And some might argue that it would also have been smarter. But of course that's not really avoiding racism. That's avoiding being perceived to be racist.

None of which makes doing the burning a particularly good idea, but that's not really the issue at stake. Conservatives do lots of things that aren't a good idea, just read a newspaper.

In the absence of further information, which I'm sure the panel in St. Andrews had available to them, as well as all the personal testimonies they no doubt pursued, I'm willing to assume that the panel came to the right conclusion: i.e. stupid, not deliberately racist.

Whether or not there will be lasting harmful effects of this episode is debatable, but I think not - everyone seems to have been appropriately shamed for their behaviour.

There's the context to consider, of course. It would probably have been better for all involved if some sensitive Conservative soul had concluded that the particular imagery involved in burning a black man on a bonfire was likely to cause disproportionate effect in terms of harm or offence.

I think we'd all be a lot more comfortable if they'd simply taken the time to build a matching papier-mache Lincoln Continental and taken potshots with Daddy's hunting rifle.
wild_quinine

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board