Home

TheSinner.net

The definitive list...

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

The definitive list...

Postby Aer on Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:52 am

of fire alarms (real / drills) at University hall this yr.

So far:

1 REAL in freshers week. No smoke without deordourant.
1 DRILL in week 1.
and NOW (2:30am)
1 REAL. But not really. rumours of faulty sensors.

record HAS to be lindsey block DRH last yr. Pushing 70-odd REAL alarms.

[hr]Always remember, no matter how drunk you are, that tomorrow you will be sober. and probably will have one biiiig hangover.
I can't believe your head exploded. You'll never be a doctor if your head explodes.
Aer

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:45 am

Wow, the University must be getting pretty lax if they couldn't burn it down in 70 attempts.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Rob Milsom on Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:53 am

[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 10:45, 15th Oct 2003:
Wow, the University must be getting pretty lax if they couldn't burn it down in 70 attempts.

Probably because, in the case of Lindsay, like the rest of the DRH blocks, the roof is full of asbestos...
[i]Is tresa tuath na tighearna
Rob Milsom

Re:

Postby Thackary on Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:11 am

[s]Rob Milsom wrote on 11:53, 15th Oct 2003:
Probably because, in the case of Lindsay, like the rest of the DRH blocks, the roof is full of asbestos...

There's a fatal flaw in your reasoning there Rob - surely fires would have destroyed the building before they got to the roof?

Anyway, it's a moot point, as Lindsay block and most of the other blocks in DRH are no longer standing.

image:www.craftybadger.co.uk/pics/drhgone.jpg
Thackary

Re:

Postby Kibet on Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:14 am

[s]Thackary wrote on 12:11, 15th Oct 2003:

Anyway, it's a moot point, as Lindsay block and most of the other blocks in DRH are no longer standing.

The blocks have names??
*chortle*
Kibet

Re:

Postby Thackary on Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:18 am

http://www.thesinner.co.uk/article/25 for more details about the names of the houses.
Thackary

Re:

Postby Linz on Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:43 pm

I think you'll find that there's a new Lindsay block - they were too lazy to come up with new names for the appartments so they've just transfered them over.
Hence the fact mother dear, that I doubt Lindsay has asbestos in the roof any more *grin*
Linz

Re:

Postby Thackary on Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:53 pm

As asbestos is no longer used in the construction of residential buildings, I assumed that Rob was talking about the old buildings (which are no longer standing).

Also, we were discussing DRH. The new buildings are known as DRA. The names have been transferred, not due to laziness, but due to respect of the people after whom they were named.
Thackary

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:31 pm

[s]Aer wrote on 02:52, 15th Oct 2003:
of fire alarms (real / drills) at University hall this yr.

So far:

1 REAL in freshers week. No smoke without deordourant.
1 DRILL in week 1.
and NOW (2:30am)
1 REAL. But not really. rumours of faulty sensors.

Yeah we're doing really well this year, only 3 alarms in as many weeks (excluding the daytime one).

Usual scenario: faulty Old Wing sensor. No one is daft enough to set it off deliberately this year or to try and smoke inside.

Which is nice.
Pussycat

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:36 pm

[s]Thackary wrote on 12:11, 15th Oct 2003:

There's a fatal flaw in your reasoning there Rob - surely fires would have destroyed the building before they got to the roof?

It could be like Gatty, and have falling asbestos fibres coating the entire house.

That'd fireproof it, right enough.

[hr]
[s]"Frodo breathed heavily and leaned against Sam, who put his arms about him." 'Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, Book 2'
[/s]
[i:1wp3kko0]Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
[/i:1wp3kko0]
LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby Setsuna on Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:42 pm

new hall two years ago was hell... i think we spent more time outside in our pyjamas than actually IN bed...

and it wasnt lindsay block... it was ' i say' block, silly :) last year one of the smoke detectors in glorius tulloch actually caught fire... how ironic!

I say the worst thing about living in halls are the alarms... even just the practise ones scare me cuz theyre so LOUD!
Setsuna

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:59 pm

The problem with New Hall is just the preponderance of people who don't realise - even after almost a full year that you...

1. Don't spray aersol near the fire alarms.
2. Don't start bonfires in your room.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby TheGamesMaster on Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:50 pm

and
3. Don't leave the bathroom door open when you have a shower.
TheGamesMaster

Re:

Postby Just A Notion on Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:21 pm

4. Don't set your shoe on fire.
Just A Notion

Re:

Postby Amanda on Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:18 pm

5. don't smoke a joint underneath a fire detector in a hallway

which is exactly what some numpty did my first year in new hall. lol.
[s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
Amanda

Re:

Postby Aer on Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:22 pm

[s]Just A Notion wrote on 22:21, 15th Oct 2003:
4. Don't set your shoe on fire.

yeah, that kinda thing annoyes every1.

[hr]
Always remember, no matter how drunk you are, that tomorrow you will be sober. and probably will have one biiiig hangover.
I can't believe your head exploded. You'll never be a doctor if your head explodes.
Aer

Re:

Postby Kibet on Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:55 am

[s]Amanda wrote on 23:18, 15th Oct 2003:
5. don't smoke a joint underneath a fire detector in a hallway

which is exactly what some numpty did my first year in new hall. lol.

the porters told me that it is quite common to find socks over the fire detectors in the room
Kibet

Re:

Postby Rob Milsom on Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:11 pm

[s]Linz wrote on 13:43, 15th Oct 2003:
I think you'll find that there's a new Lindsay block - they were too lazy to come up with new names for the appartments so they've just transfered them over.
Hence the fact mother dear, that I doubt Lindsay has asbestos in the roof any more *grin*

My understanding of aer was that he/she/'it' was talking about Lindsay last year, when, as far as I can remember, it was still standing...

Your point is still correct, but I just couldn't let such an imprudent comment pass, and I didn't have a tea-towel to hand...

Or, come to think of it, you...
[i]Is tresa tuath na tighearna
Rob Milsom

Re:

Postby TheKaow on Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:53 am

[s]Setsuna wrote on 14:42, 15th Oct 2003:[i]
last year one of the smoke detectors in glorius tulloch actually caught fire... how ironic!

Oh, how I remember that morning forced awake at 4:30 am and not allowed back in for 2 hours. Stupid boys' side! A smoke detector on the girls' side would never have gotten so confused as to set itself on fire!

Speaking of things malfunctioning at DRH, anyone recall the long list of problems second semester? Constant fire alarms at all hours, loss of electricity, loss of hot water, loss of heat...ah, good ol' david russell.
TheKaow

Re:

Postby TheKaow on Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:59 am

[s]Setsuna wrote on 14:42, 15th Oct 2003:[i]
last year one of the smoke detectors in glorius tulloch actually caught fire... how ironic!

Oh, how I remember that morning forced awake at 4:30 am and not allowed back in for 2 hours. Stupid boys' side! A smoke detector on the girls' side would never have gotten so confused as to set itself on fire!

Speaking of things malfunctioning at DRH, anyone recall the long list of problems second semester? Constant fire alarms at all hours, loss of electricity, loss of hot water, loss of heat...ah, good ol' david russell.
TheKaow

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board