Home

TheSinner.net

New LGBT rep

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

New LGBT rep

Postby Das Chair on Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:26 pm

As some of you will undoubtedly know the current LGBT recently resigned from the SRC. The SRC can co-opt rather than elect their replacement.
Therefore I open it up to everyone, that if you are interested in standing for this position please contact me (mjp8@st-and.ac.uk). Any questions or queries on the subject can also be aimed at me or at the DOR. (dorep@st-and.ac.uk)
Das Chair

Also SSC

Postby Simon Atkins on Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:49 pm

SSC is Also loking for a first year rep so contact the Chair (as above) or The DoS (doserv@st-and.ac.uk)
Simon Atkins

Re:

Postby Das Chair on Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:07 pm

Good point, well made Mr Atkins.
Yes indeed i am also looking to recruit a first year rep for the Student Services Council. So if you have any interest in this please give me a shout.
Das Chair

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:34 pm

What does the Student Services Council post entail or concern?

Re:

Postby Ben Spiers on Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:29 pm

[s]Das Chair wrote on 13:26, 30th Oct 2003:
As some of you will undoubtedly know the current LGBT recently resigned from the SRC.

What, all of them? Every single LGBT? Why?

Oh! *slaps forehead* You mean "current LGBT Rep"!

BTW, the SSC First Year Rep represents the concerns and ideas of first-years to the Student Services Council: feedback on PreSesh, ideas to improve it, events for freshers, stuff like that. It's fun and easy and a good first step on the greasy rungs of power. In fact you could make the "50 Most Powerful" list, because we all know that that's worth being on.

Ha.

Ha ha.

Like the Times Rich List.

Only bollocks.

Ha.
Ben Spiers

Re:

Postby quickwittedresponse on Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:28 pm

Might seem like a silly question but do you have to be lgb or t to stand for lgbt rep or a 1st year to stand for SSC rep???
quickwittedresponse

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:41 pm

[s]quickwittedresponse wrote on 21:28, 30th Oct 2003:
Might seem like a silly question but do you have to be lgb or t to stand for lgbt rep or a 1st year to stand for SSC rep???

you'd have to be a society member for the LGBT rep i would imagine. EDITand you don't have to be lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgendered to be in the society.

and i'm pretty sure that you'd need to be a first year to stand for first year rep.

[hr]
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:56 pm

[s]Cain wrote on 21:41, 30th Oct 2003:
[s]quickwittedresponse wrote on 21:28, 30th Oct 2003:[i]

you'd have to be a society member for the LGBT rep i would imagine. EDITand you don't have to be lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgendered to be in the society.

and i'm pretty sure that you'd need to be a first year to stand for first year rep.

[hr]
[/i]

I don' t think that one would have to be a member of LGBT to be the LGBT rep. LGBT (soc) is just a society of like minded people, like any other (apart from Debates, Charities and Mermaids of course).

[hr]
Nothing in life is free.
The only things that change are who pays for it, and when they pay.
Pilmour Boy

You absolutely do NOT have to be a member of LGBT Society to be the LGBT Rep!

Postby Bonnie on Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:46 pm

You don't even need to be L, G, B, T or any other letter for that matter.
I remember when we created the post and I fought for it to be called anything but LGBT Rep so that people wouldn't confuse the society with the position. (My stance wasn't successful in the end, if you couldn't tell.)
I don't have a copy of the constitution in front of me so I can't give a definative answer to the first year rep question, but maybe someone who isn't avoiding two essays and a training weekend could quickly look it up and advertise it here.

[hr]I love cheese.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:20 pm

I checked. It doesn't say, but it does imply. What it does say is quite a bit about constituencies, so I think that, strictly speaking, the LGBT rep should only be elected by those who are LGBT. However, this is a self-selecting constituency, not one defined by degree (like the Senate reps are for example).

<>
Please ignore everything past the first two sentences that I posted above.
Neither first year rep nor LGBT has to be of that grouping. However, this does bring up some interesting questions regarding the positions of those who are carved up from the Accommodation Committee.
<
>

[hr]Nothing in life is free.
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby rara on Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:24 pm

would make sense if the LGBT rep was either lesbian, gay, bisexual or trangender - there would be an outcry if the ethnic minorities officier was a white american!
laygen jaygen!
rara

Re:

Postby liliputian on Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:35 pm

[s]rara wrote on 23:24, 30th Oct 2003:
would make sense if the LGBT rep was either lesbian, gay, bisexual or trangender - there would be an outcry if the ethnic minorities officier was a white american!

i agree! how can one represent that which one is not?

[hr]
smile - it makes people wonder what you've been up to!!!
[i:143mmj9f]i know you want the sin but not the sinner...[/i:143mmj9f]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100186
liliputian

Re:

Postby Ewan Husami on Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:35 pm

Although perhaps not in the UK.
Ewan Husami

To Be Fair

Postby RJ Covino on Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:40 pm

Astute watchers of Union elections will have picked up on the fact that a German girl ran for Ethnic Minorities Rep in the last round of elections and that there was no outcry.

In the case of the LGBT rep, St Andrews is unusal in that the candidates do not have to be 'self-declared' members of the constituency. Of course, this time around, given that this is a co-option process and not an full-on election, I would reckon that the SRC would take a very dim view of any candidate who was not serious about the job and aware of the issues involved.
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:45 pm

To be fair, LGBT is unique in that it's a self defining constituency. However, it should be noted that not just first years get to vote on who the first year rep should be.

Just like not just those in Private Accommodation get to vote on who the private accommodation rep is.

[hr]Nothing in life is free.
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:10 am

I was almost not a member of any society, running as Societies Officer. But then I joined BALADS, pity.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Simon Atkins on Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:23 am

[s]Pilmour Boy wrote on 23:20, 30th Oct 2003:[i]
<>
Neither first year rep nor LGBT has to be of that grouping. However, this does bring up some interesting questions regarding the positions of those who are carved up from the Accommodation Committee.
<
>

What issues? Both positions are cross campus elections as outlined in the 94 education act. Only the Senate reps have constituencies the accomodation committee reps are a much more complicated case not worth discussing on this thread.
Simon Atkins

Re:

Postby David Bean on Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:42 am

[s]rara wrote on 23:24, 30th Oct 2003:

Why? You can't win a position by mounting a coup d'etat, and so any white American who occupied the position could only have got it if they were judged by a democratic majority to be the best person for the job. As Ralph said, a German girl stood for ethnic minorities, and there wouldn't be much point in mounting an outcry against someone simply because they stood for a position - all you'd have to do is vote against them if you didn't like them, whatever your reason might be.
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Postby ever_nocturnal on Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:50 am

Last edited by ever_nocturnal on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ever_nocturnal

Re:

Postby Biitchboy on Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:51 am

Although I agree that it is not necessary to be LGBT to run for this position, I feel that the best person for the job would be someone who is, since they are more likely to have knowledge of the issues facing other LGBT students. So i personally would prefer someone who was LGBT. But I don't think that's enough either, I think that whoever does it should also be very openly LGBT and comfortable in that, otherwise it seems pointless to me.

I hear that there are alot of people interested in the position, so how is it going to be decided who gets it?

[hr]If I gave a shit, you'd be the first person I'd give it to.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~lgbtsoc
*This post does not necessarily reflect the views of the society* :-P
Biitchboy

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board