Home

TheSinner.net

New LGBT rep

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby fresher on Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:00 am

What's LGBT stand for then? I tried to guess but i ain't got a clue :-/
fresher

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:00 am

So is the SSC rep got anything to do with LGBT or is it totally different and unrelated.

Re:

Postby x on Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:01 am

I think that not only should the LGBT rep be LGB or T, but additionally, and more importantly, they should be out and comfortable with their sexuality.
x

Re:

Postby A friend of a friend... on Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:02 am

I think that not only should the LGBT rep be LGB or T, but additionally, and more importantly, they should be out and comfortable with their sexuality.
A friend of a friend...

Re:

Postby David Bean on Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:02 am

Hey, Anthony. We were discussing this after SSC on Tuesday, and I'm almost certain it will be a co-option - it makes sense, since there's no point in running an election for just one position (we'd probably get roughly the same number of votes anyway!). Good luck when you stand, though I'm not sure when it'll be - doubtless either on Tuesday of next week, or two weeks hence.

BTW, if I buy you a vodka and coke next time I bump into you in the Union, will you promise NOT to give me a kiss? ;)
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby David Bean on Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:08 am

I'll have you know I spend a lot of time in Bonnie's office, as it's also mine, but I've never seen such unashamedly prejudiced nonsense written about anyone in my entire life. Did you even go to the Societies' Faye? I presume not, because if you had you'd have noticed that it was the most efficiently run you're likely to have seen. Aside from that, even if she did lose a few notes, does it really matter enough to be so offensive? After all, if they were that important, might it not have been an idea to keep, for instance, a backup copy? She's doing a tough job, well.
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Postby ever_nocturnal on Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:11 am

Last edited by ever_nocturnal on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ever_nocturnal

Re:

Postby niall on Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:54 am

[s]rara wrote on 23:24, 30th Oct 2003:
would make sense if the LGBT rep was either lesbian, gay, bisexual or trangender - there would be an outcry if the ethnic minorities officier was a white american!

had i still been at the uni i'd have stood for Ethnic minorities rep... everyone goes on about ethnic minorites and to be quite blunt they are being racist when they say they have to be black.... this is st Andrews for crying out loud.. the real minority are the scots.. we're prolly the most under-represented nation here...

oh yeh.. and i'm a white scot :)
niall

Re:

Postby quickwittedresponse on Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:45 pm

Thats a good point niall...in St Andrews Scottish students are a big minority than anyone else...despite the uni claiming there is 1 Scottish student to every 3 english...

Not that I have a problem with the English!!!!
quickwittedresponse

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:00 pm

[s]David Bean wrote on 01:42, 31st Oct 2003:
[s]rara wrote on 23:24, 30th Oct 2003:[i]
would make sense if the LGBT rep was either lesbian, gay, bisexual or trangender - there would be an outcry if the ethnic minorities officier was a white american!

Why? You can't win a position by mounting a coup d'etat, and so any white American who occupied the position could only have got it if they were judged by a democratic majority to be the best person for the job. As Ralph said, a German girl stood for ethnic minorities, and there wouldn't be much point in mounting an outcry against someone simply because they stood for a position - all you'd have to do is vote against them if you didn't like them, whatever your reason might be.
[/i]

David, I really think that you're making some unwarranted and incorrect assumptions here.

1) You're assuming that everybody who could do the job is standing for election.
2) You're also assuming that everybody who's voting is voting for them on the basis of their policy platform/ability to do the job.

[hr]
Nothing in life is free.
The only things that change are who pays for it, and when they pay.
Pilmour Boy

Postby ever_nocturnal on Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:18 pm

Last edited by ever_nocturnal on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ever_nocturnal

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:59 pm

I think that outside of hack circles, average students care very little for the SRC and the machinations therein.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:13 pm

[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 13:59, 31st Oct 2003:
I think that outside of hack circles, average students care very little for the SRC and the machinations therein.

Says he who stood for first year rep...

[hr]
Nothing in life is free.
The only things that change are who pays for it, and when they pay.
Pilmour Boy

Postby ever_nocturnal on Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:22 pm

Last edited by ever_nocturnal on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ever_nocturnal

Re:

Postby Das Chair on Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:06 pm

I just thought i would bring this back to the top, as it's mine
Das Chair

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:06 pm

Presumably the SSC Rep has no affiliation or direct link with the LGBT then?

Re:

Postby Das Chair on Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:44 pm

No your right, the SSC first year rep need not have anything to do with LGBT. It was just tacked on to the original post because i forgot
Das Chair

Re:

Postby Das Chair on Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:44 pm

No your right, the SSC first year rep need not have anything to do with LGBT. It was just tacked on to the original post because i forgot
Das Chair

Re:

Postby Magus on Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:12 pm

[s]Das Chair wrote on 17:44, 2nd Nov 2003:

Well, not so much forgot... surely mentioning the two in one post might well have caused the confusion which seems to have arisen anyway? 'Twas Mr Atkins being wonderfully efficient as always, although I am sure one could never accuse Mr Paterson of being any other than that himself.

Ahem.
When I would pray and think, I think and pray to several subjects.
Magus

To Clarify

Postby Simon Atkins on Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:29 am

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 15:18, 2nd Nov 2003:
Presumably the SSC Rep has no affiliation or direct link with the LGBT then?

SSC First year rep sits on SSC and therefore has nothing to do with LGBT. The SRC LGBT Rep sits on SRC and represents the views of LGBT individuals to SRC and the SRC Student Support Committee. It is not connected to LGBTsoc, it has just happened that the previous two have been presidents of that society. The person who holds the position dose not have to be L, G, B or T but would be expected to have a strong understanding of the issues.
Simon Atkins

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board