Home

TheSinner.net

ASYLUM SEEKERS

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

ASYLUM SEEKERS

Postby Widdecombe's a horror on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

I think Britain should let them ALL in - after all we Brits can go (and have gone) all around the world, as and when we want and not to clean toilets either. what's the difference between us and them anyway?
Widdecombe's a horror

Synonymous with...

Postby Not_Republicana! on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Saying that everyone should be allowed into Oxford and Cambridge, after all a student of those Universities would probably be let into any other University in the world, if they wanted to study at them.
The control is essentially one of numbers, there is no room for Britain to get any larger.
Not_Republicana!

The problem with the debate over asylum seekers

Postby siren100 on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

... is that nobody ever points out not what asylum seekers cost but the benefits they bring this country. Apart from expanding xenophobic britain's knowledge of world cultures and adding diversity to what would be a bland country otherwise, the tax revenue which they generate whilst working here more than outweighs the money they cost in benefit. in addition to this, it seems that disgruntled nazis are often heard banging on about how much 'illegal immigrants' cost in benefit. that is such a load of ARSE - 'illegal immigrants' cannot claim in benefit because they are ILLEGAL. i am not as naive as tony benn as to imagine that there is no defrauding going on - but i'll bet the lazy arse white boy in his kappa tracksuit is as much to blame for that as the last unfortunate individual who had to flea his country from political or economic hardship.

i wish that the spin was taken off the asylum seeker issue, and honest facts were presented. as long as the daily mail is in existence then there will always be a enoch powellesque undercurrent to this nation of ours - but as i'm not in favour of stifling freedom of expression, thoughts or speech, i just hope that british voters can see through all that nonsense and make a reasoned decision. of course that is just a hope, and the reality is that labour and conservative are just right of the middle. my idea is to found a liberal colony on the isle of egg, or alternatively we could all move to scandanavia - but that would really please the tories, so on second thoughts - i'll just exercise my right to vote.

Remember - vote liberal democrat - the others all talk arse.
siren100

Blocked thread

Postby Anonymous on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Why has this thread been blocked please? I would very much like to know what type of censorship of opinion is occurring here.
Anonymous

Has this thread been blocked?

... cos if it has i'd like to know why as well.

this is one of the few threads that involves itself in important issues - and not what colour socks members of the KK wear. I'd like to see more discussions like these - when people register diverse opinion i am actually able to learn something new (sometimes). For instant the israel thread has thrown up a couple of facts i didn't already know. there is quite a lot i don't know about the KK, but quite frankly i'm happy not knowing.
siren100

Re:

Postby James Baster on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

This thread has not been blocked, the messages above and this one proves that people can post. If anyone has posted a message and it has not appeared, this is a technical problem - please email me.
James Baster

RE: 'Not_Republicana'

Postby REPUBLICANA on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Synonymous with....
Saying that whilst Brits, on an International stage, are equivalent to Oxbridge graduates or students, and that those from countries of ex-colonies are more akin to students or graduates of Luton or East London.
YOU SNOB.
The control is essentially one of numbers, there is no room for Britain to get any larger. OH BUT BRITAIN IS GETTING SMALLER ALL THE TIME BECAUSE OF THE DISGUSTING MILLIONAIRES WHO MAKE THERE MONEY THERE THEN BOG OFF ABROAD SO THEY DON'T HAVE TO PAY TAX.
REPUBLICANA

Re:

...and this decreases the total land area of the uk HOW?
Anonymous

Republicana reveals her ignorance again!

Once again you reveal your ignorance, Britain is in fact getting bigger. The number of millionaires leaving the country is a drop in the ocean. In many ways what was said about the British being like Oxford and Cambridge graduates is true and our high level of GDP shows that. Our natural resources are relatively similar to those of countries in the Balkans, yet we are much richer, suggestive that we have been more successful.
Anonymous

Re:

Is that really how we measure our greatness in this country? by how many millionaires we have living here?

our success should not be based on our GDP, but on how we treat other people, our attitude to preserving this earth, and our interest in preserving and helping other nations.

it all sounds a bit wishy washy, but i don't know any very very rich happy people.
siren100

Re:

my considerable personal fortune is exceeded only by my happiness.
Anonymous

eh

oh
Anonymous

eh

oh
Anonymous

Successful?

Postby republicana on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Yes, we Brits have successfully flattened and failed to respect cultures of other countries
Yes, we Brits have successfully killes thousands of natives in our attempts to establish British rule
Yes, we Brits have successfully thought we were to great to be in Europe but not too great to resist revering the U.S
Yes, we Brits have successfully promoted 'democracy' at home whilst denying it to colnised peoples
Yes, we Brits have successfully continued to enjoy the hard work and natural resources of other natures
Yes, we Brits have successfully initiated, enjoyed and continue today the slave trade
Yes, we Brits have successfully maintained one of the most class-ridden societies in the world in our own land
Yes, we Brits have successfully tried to use a climate summit to represent not ourselves, but prize polluters of the US
Yes, we Brits have successfully intervened abroad and continue to do so in the name of 'democracy' and 'freedom'
Yes, we Brits have successfully maintained an extremely unfair and unrepresentative voting system
Yes, we Brits have successfully fallen foul of a superiority complex

Is this success? If so, give me failure.
republicana

failure? ill start the ball rolling:

USSR
Anonymous

Republicana - YOU HAVE A SERIOUS PROBLEM

The logic of your arguments is appauling!
You state:
1) It's so unfair that asylum seakers are not allowed in, to enjoy the benefits of being in Britain
2) That Britain is crap.

If Britain really is so unsuccessful, why should they want to come in anyway?

REPUBLICANA: YOU HAVE DESTROYED YOUR OWN ARGUMENT!
Anonymous

A reply to Republicana

1Q)Yes, we Brits have successfully flattened and failed to respect cultures of other countries
1A)Name a successful country that has not

2Q)Yes, we Brits have successfully killes thousands of natives in our attempts to establish British rule
2A)Yes, but it would be millions if we had been many other countries.

3Q)Yes, we Brits have successfully thought we were to great to be in Europe but not too great to resist revering the U.S
3A)You just made this one up, so I'm not going to bother replying.

4Q) Yes, we Brits have successfully promoted 'democracy' at home whilst denying it to colnised peoples
4A) All the world powers did the same.

5Q) Yes, we Brits have successfully continued to enjoy the hard work and natural resources of other natures
5A) More of your anti-globilisation nonsense - enough said!

6Q) Yes, we Brits have successfully initiated, enjoyed and continue today the slave trade
6A) More of your anti-globilisation nonsense - we are not running a slave trade today.

7Q) Yes, we Brits have successfully maintained one of the most class-ridden societies in the world in our own land
7A) What's wrong with class? All it's saying is that some people have higher moral standards than others. Everyone can choose which class they belong too. Isn't it right that those who swear less and behave more responsibly can sensibly be called "of a higher class".

8Q) Yes, we Brits have successfully tried to use a climate summit to represent not ourselves, but prize polluters of the US
8A) There's no evidence for this.

9Q) Yes, we Brits have successfully intervened abroad and continue to do so in the name of 'democracy' and 'freedom'
9A) Quite rightly we have tried to end wars etc. with the minimum of loss of life. All of them have been costly to us, with few benefits, so this can probably be described as humanitarianism at its best.

10Q) Yes, we Brits have successfully maintained an extremely unfair and unrepresentative voting system
10A) The people voted for it!

11Q) Yes, we Brits have successfully fallen foul of a superiority complex
11A) Don't understand this nonsensical statement
Anonymous

Perhaps you don't understand it...

..because you have fallen foul of it yourself and don't even realise it. You seem to attach positive value to being a 'world power'. Tell me, O Rule Britannia, where is the success of Britian?
republicana

Response to your rude questions

1Q)Yes, we Brits have successfully flattened and failed to respect cultures of other countries
1A)Name a successful country that has not- WOULD SAY THAT SUCH COUNTRIES ARE NOT SUCCESSFUL IN THE WIDER SENSE OF THE WORD.

2Q)Yes, we Brits have successfully killed thousands of natives in our attempts to establish British rule
2A)Yes, but it would be millions if we had been many other countries - SO THAT MAKES IT ALL MORALLY FINE.

3Q)Yes, we Brits have successfully thought we were to great to be in Europe but not too great to resist revering the U.S
3A)You just made this one up, so I'm not going to bother replying - OH SORRY, I MUST HAVE IMAGINED THAT YELLOW AND RED GRINNING CLOWN AT THE ENTRANCE TO EVERY BRITISH TOWN, I MUST HAVE DREAMT THE AFFAIR BETWEEN THATHCER & REAGAN, AND BLAIR & CLINTON, I MUST BE WRONG IN MY BELIEF THAT HOLLYWOOD PAYS FOR ALL OUR FILMS.

4Q) Yes, we Brits have successfully promoted 'democracy' at home whilst denying it to colnised peoples
4A) All the world powers did the same - OH AS LONG AS MASSACRE, OPPRESSION AND GREED ARE PRACTICED ON A WIDE SCALE BY VARIOUS MASTERS, WE CAN ALL GET AWAY WITH IT.

5Q) Yes, we Brits have successfully continued to enjoy the hard work and natural resources of other natures
5A) More of your anti-globilisation nonsense - enough said! -GOLLY, HOW RADICALLY EXTREME OF ME TO MENTION THE ENVIRONMENT, I MUST STOP THIS NONSENSICAL TREE-HUGGING.

6Q) Yes, we Brits have successfully initiated, enjoyed and continue today the slave trade
6A) More of your anti-globilisation nonsense - we are not running a slave trade today. - SO WHO MADE YOUR NIKE TRAINERS?

7Q) Yes, we Brits have successfully maintained one of the most class-ridden societies in the world in our own land
7A) What's wrong with class? CLASS IS NOT ABOUT DIFFERENCE, BUT HIERARCHY All it's saying is that some people have higher moral standards than others - YES, THE MATRIMONIAL FIDELITY, STRIKING INTELLIGENCE AND SANGUINE SUPERIORITY OF THE U.K.'S UPPER CLASSES HAVE BEEN FULLY EXEMPLARY TO WE LESSER MEMBERS. Everyone can choose which class they belong too -I MEAN IF I'M BORN A WINDSOR I CAN QUITE HAPPILY WORK IN A SUPERMARKET Isn't it right that those who swear less and behave more responsibly can sensibly be called "of a higher class" - NO DARLING, IT'S WRONG. AND I THINK YOU'LL FIND THAT IT'S THE MIDDLE CLASSES WHO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH SWEARING - THE UPPER AND LOWER CLASSES BOTH SWEAR LIKE TROOPERS. AS FOR RESPONSIBLE BEHAVIOUR, I SUPPOSE SKIING, HEROINE-USING AND HUNTING DEMAND MUCH MORE RESPONSIBLITY THAN RAISING A FAMILY ON THE MINIMUM WAGE.

8Q) Yes, we Brits have successfully tried to use a climate summit to represent not ourselves, but prize polluters of the US
8A) There's no evidence for this - WERE YOU ASLEEP DURING THE HAGUE SUMMIT LAST YEAR? THE EVIDENCE IS IN ANY PAPER OR REPORT OF THIS CONFERENCE - PUT 'PATRONISING CHAUVINIST PRESCOTT' OR 'STINKING CO2 EMITTORS' INTO A COMMON SEARCH ENGINE

9Q) Yes, we Brits have successfully intervened abroad and continue to do so in the name of 'democracy' and 'freedom'
9A) Quite rightly we have tried to end wars etc. with the minimum of loss of life - ESPECIALLY OUR BENEVOLENT COLONIAL WARS All of them have been costly to us IN THE SHORT TERM, THEN WE HAVE BLED THEM DRY AND STOLE THEIR RESOURCES, with few benefits OH BUT SURELY ONE OF THEM IS BEING THIS GORGEOUS 'SUCCESSFUL' COUNTRY? so this can probably be described as humanitarianism at its best PROBABLY, USING THE PINOCHET SCHOOL OF HUMANE ASSESSEMENT.

10Q) Yes, we Brits have successfully maintained an extremely unfair and unrepresentative voting system
10A) The people voted for it! - WHICH PEOPLE?

11Q) Yes, we Brits have successfully fallen foul of a superiority complex
11A) Don't understand this nonsensical statement - BUT YOU ARE THE BEST EXAMPLE OF IT.

TAKE THAT UNION JACK BLINDFOLD OFF YOUR EYES, YOU MORON.
republicana

Oh dear, Republicana, oh dear

Postby Al on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

You really do yourself and your cause (whatever that may be) no favours by posting such messages and in such a manner. Having a good case and debating it rationally and cogently is much more likely to win you support and agreement than shouting, and posting all in capitals is the equivalent of shouting, and relying on hyperbole and insult. Some of your points, however poorly made, are valid but some are just banal. I think you'll find that slavery existed long before Britain did, and while there was a British slave trade which cannot be excused, it was the naval power of the UK that went a long way to ending slavery on a world scale. Who is this yellow and red grinning clown at the entrance of every British town? I don't think Blair was ever Clinton's type, and Hollywood paying for all our films? Yeah, right, whatever.
Al

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board