Home

TheSinner.net

Accents

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Amanda on Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:40 am

bristol city?! good one. rovers all the way! :)

[hr][s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
[s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
Amanda

Re:

Postby Anon. on Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:58 am

[s]Kibet wrote on 19:14, 27th Nov 2003:
Why did he not just say effeminate male voices?

Because one hardly ever meets an effeminate heterosexual. In fact, I'm the nearest thing to an effeminate heterosexual I have ever encountered.
Anon.

Re:

Postby Kibet on Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:36 am

[s]Anon. wrote on 05:58, 28th Nov 2003:
[s]Kibet wrote on 19:14, 27th Nov 2003:[i]
Why did he not just say effeminate male voices?

Because one hardly ever meets an effeminate heterosexual. In fact, I'm the nearest thing to an effeminate heterosexual I have ever encountered.
[/i]

i have met plenty effeminate heterosexuals. but if i am in the minority and most people don't then i reitterate my point.

why did he not just say effeminate male voices? because as he stated above, it was obvious that he meant "gay men" when he said "effeminate homosexual". so if not many people meet effeminate heterosexuals, then wouldn't it be obvious he was referring to homosexual men and therefore would not need to say "effeminate homosexual"?

because the phrase suggests that he doesn't mind effeminate voices but effeminate voices on gay men.

A: do you like my voice?(said in an effeminate voice)
B: are you homosexual?
A: No i'm heterosexual
B: then i don't mind it. i would of found it annoying if you were a homosexual though.

now doesn't that conversation sound ridiculous?

If he finds the effeminate voice annoying then fair enough, but i don't understand why sexual orientation comes into it when deciding whether you like a voice or not.
Kibet

Re:

Postby Buzzboy on Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:22 am

I see Tintin's been pouring his right-wing neo-liberalism here too.

Just one question mate:

Define 'normal' (and for all you science geeks - perpendicular is NOT the answer)?

[hr]On the Seventh Day God said to Adam:

"Can I leave it with you?"
On the Seventh Day God said to Adam:

Buzzboy

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:05 am

It's amazing how fast an initially decent thread can degenerate into such crap...can we get back to the original post?

1. best accent: southern united states (south carolina, charleston to be specific)
2. worst: Minnesota, the dakotas (if you've seen "Fargo", you know what I'm talking about).

I just stuck with the U.S., because I know more about its accents.

inverness

Postby sarah on Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:07 am

ok i'm from inverness and we do talk how they do in this poem but the claim about speaking the 'best english' is always taken out of context. what that was was inverness was the best at speaking English as opposed to Gaelic out of all the Highlands. Nothing to do with good grammar, pronunciation or anything like that, just that the Highlands all spoke Geaelic and when they came to Inverness they found some English speakers. k?

[s]mossop wrote on 15:34, 27th Nov 2003:
One accent that rubs me up the wrong way is Invernesian! Inverness is apparently where they speak the best queen's english....I can't really type what an Invernesian accent is, but this poem was sent to me and I laughed out so loud the next door neighbours heard me!

"Whilst walkeen down the street today in sanny Invarness,
I stambled on a baker's shop whose menu duhd ampress,
I wandered in and ordered, then the weetrass said to me,
"There's yer bah'ered scones, jawm donahts an' yer cap o' tea."

Now had I crossed the ruhver and gone to the West End Chapper,
I could have bough' a con uv Coke and a fine Block Poodeen Sapper,
That is, of course if I could stond the teedyass strang of text,
"Ya wan'een sol' an' vanagar? Eny'heen else? Two-eigh'y! NEXT!"

A wander over by the Haugh down to the Bellfield Pork,
Where local tennas players proctas strokes from dawn 'til dork,
These days, their treenurs cost the earth, the soles have rabber sackers,
In my day lads wore plamsoles, and the girls - punk, frully knuckers.

So there you go, my tale of woe it really is a putty,
That we should change what was 'the town' into a flameen sutty,
We should dispel that age-old rumour, source of endless anguish,
When people say we are "Best speakers of the Unglash longwudge""

Well, if you can understand that, you're doing well! :D

[hr]http://www.geocities.com/stauwfc

Edited because I can't spell properly!
sarah

Re:

Postby Guided By Vices on Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:16 am

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 08:55, 28th Nov 2003:
It's amazing how fast an initially decent thread can degenerate into such crap...can we get back to the original post?

1. best accent: southern united states (south carolina, charleston to be specific)
2. worst: Minnesota, the dakotas (if you've seen "Fargo", you know what I'm talking about).

I just stuck with the U.S., because I know more about its accents.

I'm kind of ambivalent about American accents (and America in general). Even if they're not always the nicest sounding, at least with an American accent you can always pretend you're in a movie. Oh yerr, there's not much wrong with those Minnesota accents - possibly the funniest I've heard.

Just to continue our efforts to keep the thread on track, I suppose as I started it I should vote myself.

1) Maybe Japanese, that'd be fun. But probably those freaky Orkney or Shetland accents or maybe the softest of Gaelic lilts. The ladies love em, I reckon.
2) I've nothing really against a broad Brummie accent but I'm quite glad I don't sound like that. My home town accent (Northampton) is not the best but fortuitously I don't have it very strongly. "Oi, goin daarn Cobblers sat'dy" is a popular saying there. Nothing to do with getting your shoes mended, by the way.
Guided By Vices

Re:

Postby cb55 on Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:21 am

The inevitable answers are:

1)Arnold Scwarzenegger, "I need your clothes, your boots and your bike".

2)That guy that does the narration on Big Brother.
cb55

Re:

Postby tintin on Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:20 am

"A: do you like my voice?(said in an effeminate voice)
B: then i don't mind it. i would of found it annoying if you were a homosexual though."

I hardly think that this conversation would realistically take place, would it? Surely "B" would have noticed already that the person he was talking to batted for the other side.

"I see Tintin's been pouring his right-wing neo-liberalism here too."

Right-wing neo-liberalism? I did laugh hard at that one. It appears that someone bears a grudge against me!

"It was relevant. The thread was about which accents one finds annoying, and "tintin" said that he found the voice affected by the mincing type of homosexual irritating - which he had every right to do.
You were the one who decided that he was gay-bashing in doing so, thereby going off-topic."

Thankyou "Donald Renouf" - at least someone sees sense around here.

On a slightly different point, there was a rather good article in the T2 yesterday about "metrosexuals"...
tintin

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:48 am

[s]Amanda wrote on 01:40, 28th Nov 2003:
bristol city?! good one. rovers all the way! :)

Gashead
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:53 am

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 08:55, 28th Nov 2003:
"Oi, goin daarn Cobblers sat'dy"

As a city fan, I don't like the cobblers much either! Up the robins!
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:07 pm

[s]Donald Renouf wrote on 18:56, 27th Nov 2003:

You were the one who decided that he was gay-bashing in doing so, thereby going off-topic.

Please. It was the 'not a natural way to be' comment I was objecting to, but discussion with you is genearlly pointless, so I'm not going to bother.
[i:1wp3kko0]Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
[/i:1wp3kko0]
LeopardSkinQueen

place-names (if that's the right word?)

Postby jennyo on Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:28 pm

This is a little off-topic, but all the talk about Bristolians and Invernesians got me wondering, what other silly-sounding names are there for natives of certain places?
And where do ones like Scouse and Geordie come from anyway?

[hr]On a rainy day when the wind gets wild
My untamed mind wakes up -Tagore
Do those under a risk of death by metor run some thus-far indefinite risk of longrun meteorisation?
- David Bean
jennyo

Re:

Postby LG82 on Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:45 pm

"No-one knows for sure exactly how the residents of Tyneside or perhaps more accurately Newcastle-upon-Tyne became known as Geordies. One theory is that it was the name given to the workers of the railway pioneer [George] `Geordie' Stephenson, another is that it was a term for a pitman deriving from his use of Stephenson's `Geordie' Lamp. There is some evidence to support this theory but it fails to explain why Newcastle folk - the `Novocastrians' claim to be the true Geordies. What is needed is a theory which shows why specifically Newcastle people are known as `Geordies' - the answer can be found in history."

www.thenortheast.fsnet.co.uk/GeordieOrigins.htm

To be truly classed as a Geordie among the locals, one has to be born within a mile of the Tyne. I was :-)
LG82

An explanation for you, Mummy

Postby hoopy froodette on Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:07 pm

[s]jennyo wrote on 12:28, 28th Nov 2003:[i]
what other silly-sounding names are there for natives of certain places?
And where do ones like Scouse and Geordie come from anyway?

Scouse - or to give it its full title, Lobscouse, is of course a food rather than a dialect; it is the native dish of the Liverpudlian, or Scouser. Scouse is to Liverpool what Bouillabaisse is to Marseilles or Schnitzel is to Vienna. Scouse, unlike most dishes, derived from a place or origin, was born out of abject poverty. A simple stew made from the cheapest cuts of meat, usually mutton, boiled with potatoes and onions. The meat ingredient is optional, without which the Scouse becomes Blind Scouse. Either kind is eaten with red cabbage pickled in vinegar.

[hr]
Can you imagine a world without hypothetical situations?
Nothing succeeds like a toothless budgie.
hoopy froodette

Re:

Postby Kibet on Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:16 pm

[s]tintin wrote on 11:20, 28th Nov 2003:
"A: do you like my voice?(said in an effeminate voice)
B: then i don't mind it. i would of found it annoying if you were a homosexual though."

I hardly think that this conversation would realistically take place, would it? Surely "B" would have noticed already that the person he was talking to batted for the other side.

That was not the point of the conversation that was ridiculous. what was ridiculous was B's final answer. the conversation realistically taking place has no effect on the point that is being put across.

I see once again that you have avoided defining "normal". first of all from myself and secondly from buzzboy. will you ever answer it? or do you not know?
Kibet

Re:

Postby tintin on Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:35 pm

"Normal" describes a person who doesn't enter into relationships with members of the same sex because they know that it is wrong. Most people understand this idea except for a very few who have decided that being "normal" is not for them. Why anyone would want to do that, I shall never know.
tintin

Re:

Postby Al on Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:55 pm

It would appear, from you last statement, that it is not homosexuality per se that you object to but gay people having sex. Which is more than a little hypocritical. And who are you - or anyone - to decide whether the actions of others are "normal" or not? If a person is gay then being gay is "normal" for that person. End of story.

[hr]Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Al

Re:

Postby Buzzboy on Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:20 pm

[s]Al wrote on 14:55, 28th Nov 2003:
It would appear, from you last statement, that it is not homosexuality [i]per se
that you object to but gay people having sex. Which is more than a little hypocritical. And who are you - or anyone - to decide whether the actions of others are "normal" or not? If a person is gay then being gay is "normal" for that person. End of story.

[hr]Life is too important to be taken seriously.
[/i]

Exactamundo dude.

The fact that people like tintin exist in our society greatly troubles me. When I am king...

[hr]

Buzzboy

Re:

Postby Kibet on Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:30 pm

[s]tintin wrote on 14:35, 28th Nov 2003:
"Normal" describes a person who doesn't enter into relationships with members of the same sex because they know that it is wrong. Most people understand this idea except for a very few who have decided that being "normal" is not for them. Why anyone would want to do that, I shall never know.

so according to your definition, i am not normal. i am a person that doesn't enter into relationships with members of the same sex because i am not gay.

i think the majority of heterosexuals out there do not have sexual relationships with the same sex because they are not gay. not because it is "wrong".

and vice versa, the majority of homoosexuals out there do not have sexual relationships with the different sex because they are not heterosexual. not because it is "right" and they want to rebel against that and be "wrong".
Kibet

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board