Home

TheSinner.net

Guys, honest truth, skinny, or curvy girls?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Guys, honest truth, skinny, or curvy girls?

Postby Jessie on Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:59 pm

I want to know what guys really like in a girl figure. Obviously it does depend on personally preferences, so I don't expect you all to agree.

Do you guys like your girls skinny, slim, curvy etc. I know many girls strive to be thin all the time, but also guys often say they like a bit of flesh, but maybe they only say that to be polite because it's usually a girl asking them. I've often heard guys speak nicely that they don't mind, and so on, only to hear them later moan to each other about and slag off "fat" chicks who I think are just fine. So as this is annonymous, you can feel free to express your true opinion. Big/small bums, waistes, boobs, legs etc. What do you really find attractive?

My weight has always been an issue with me. I'm quite tall at around 5 foot 8 & 1/2 inches. This time last year I was a hefty 11 stone (155lb), then I started a diet at the start of 2003, and by mid June had dropped to my lowest of 7 stone 12lb (110lb). Granted that is a bit light for my height, and my family keep insisting I was boarderline anorexic, but I'm not convinced. Since then I have gained weight to around 9 stone (126lb). However, I am rather alarmed by a recent gain of a few pounds which I blame on all the parties, Xmas and thanksgiving cheer etc. I really wish I could lose all the weight again as I feel like a real fat pig. But there seems a certain pointlessness in being skinny if everybody thinks it doesn't look good. I personally liked it, though it's not my natural weight, and I can't help but feel that it's what guys really want because of all the guys I see parading skinny girls around.

No doubt I'm going to get loads of postings from girls outraged that I call my weight "fat", but that's not my intention. Do any other people find that at this time of year with all the parties and xmas treats that they put weight on? It's really freaking me out.
Jessie

Re:

Postby tintin on Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:14 pm

For the people who really matter, what is on the inside is what counts. I know that is incredibly clicheic, but appearences can be deceptive: scratch beneath the golden surface of many people and you find nothing but rusty iron.

Don't worry too much about your weight - there are far more important things in this world to wory about than personal appearence.
tintin

Re:

Postby mdec on Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:20 pm

tall, small, skinny, "fat", nothing matters in my opinion.

I guess ideal woman would be elegant, but also down to earth, and not mind rolling up sleeves and getting her hands dirty.

Smiles do it for me :-D. And intelligence...other than that, physical appearences just don't matter - if I were you I wouldn't worry.
mdec

Re:

Postby Bryn on Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:21 pm

Why are you limiting who you are asking to "guys who like girls"?

[hr]http://bryn.ipfox.com
Bryn

Re:

Postby tintin on Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:27 pm

I would assume maybe because she's not a Lesbian?
tintin

Re:

Postby Nick Mitchell on Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:54 pm

Well, from the sounds of things, I'd prefer you at 11 stone than 7, but it's best not to be obsessed with weight. Especially if you're losing weight to impress other people. Do you really want to impress people who are shallow enough to judge you on your weight?
Nick Mitchell

Re:

Postby Thalia on Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:00 pm

You're only nine stone? My god, you're gonna make me feel fat - i'm 5'8" and i weigh about 11 and a half stone :P

I know i'm not a guy or anything - surprise surprise - but i honestly don't think that the weight matters, i mean, if you're confident enough about how you look then it shouldn't really make much difference and if it does then the guy's obviously a wanker - sorry, guys, that's just my opinion ^_^

And yeah, Christmas time always puts weight on me - and it isn't helping that i have to get the bus rather than walking so my asthma doesn't get any worse - but, seriously, don't stress over it. You won't put on that much weight if you do and it'll most likely go down again anyway :P

[hr][s]A Question
A voice said, Look me in the stars
And tell me truly, men of earth,
If all the soul-and-body scars
Were not too much to pay for birth.
---Robert Frost[/s]
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby dan greenberg on Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:53 pm

Well, enough of this pandering about. I'm going to go ahead and do something completely out of the ordinary: answer the question.

If I'm at a pub late at night, or, god forbid, the bop :), the girls that attract my incredibly sleazy eye tend to be about 5 foot eight to 5 foot 11 and slimmish (to the point where one of those shirts that shows a belly is a plus rather than a negative).

So there it is, an answer! Wow, it wasn't even that hard, was it? There's what I find attractive, though of course it's not a relationship if our personalities don't click. So I guess I'm one of those shallow pricks, but I do wonder, aren't most men, and even women? I mean, there's a reason 'sexy' girls sell cars and fashion.
dan greenberg

Re:

Postby Buzzboy on Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:43 pm

Curves.

I like curves in most things, I think their ergonomic and sexy.

[hr]On the Seventh Day God said to Adam:

"Can I leave it with you?"
On the Seventh Day God said to Adam:

"Can I leave it with you?"
Buzzboy

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:45 pm

I think the fact you pointed out that everyone will have different opinions on what they like proves that there is no point in asking. Be who you are not what others want you to be, and appearances are certainly deceptive, personality counts far more! If your just looking for some random pulls at the bop then sure go ahead and ask this question, but if you want to meet a decent guy then ultimately your just going to be who you are and what your most comfortable with...

[hr]..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby Kibet on Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:00 pm

this is brilliant i can build my own ideal woman.

long hair i like, better if she can tie it back as when you see it flowing on special occasions then it is really good. red>brown>blonde in that order.

bums, i don't like skinny as you can feel the bones on your leg when they sit on you. so probably medium to large.

waists this depends on weight more, so i don't really like the really skinny as you feel like they are too fragile. a firm waist is important.

boobs. anything more than a handful is a waste, so i don't like overly large breasts but i do like breasts so c-d cup is preferred. just enough to manouvre around to tease (sorry forgetting this is a public forum so i'll say no more about that).

Firm legs are good, stubbly legs bad. downie haired legs fine. if you are gonna shave, then shave but make sure you get it all. hairs poking through tights not good.

nails not too long, long nails are scary. they can be sexy scary but would prefer not to be scared.

Teeth, your own. don't care if they are jagged, as long as they are clean and breathe smells good.

eyebrows i prefer to no eyebrows but not bushy. not much for monobrows.

Height not too important. if they are taller than me, then a head taller is ideal as my head would be breast height :p.

Weight, the all important one that girls fret about. i think following the bmi(body mass index) is a good idea.

but if the girl has a nice smile and some sparkle(and i don't mean sequins) then all comments are null void.

true its what inside that counts, but people have to go up the garden path before getting to the door.

so to the original poster, 9 stone still seems a little light but as you can see i prefer the more curvy woman. all of the views are for me and i have never always went for my whole criteria. just enjoy the holidays and put your worries to the side. the guy that you find will love you more for yourself than for you body. sorry for the cheesy ending.
Kibet

Deleted

Postby CarolynSD on Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:56 pm

This post has been deleted.
Last edited by CarolynSD on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarolynSD

An unhelpful contribution

Postby Anon. on Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:28 pm

I'm just under nine stone, and I'm 5'11".
Anon.

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:51 pm

To calculate your BMI:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/yourweight/bmi.shtml

which should be fairly accurate barring medical problems. You're probably around about the same ratio I am.

Weight often has nothing to do with how you look. (Obviously this isn't true at the nearer both ends of the scale). Weight can bear no relation to how large you look or how curvy you are for example. It's all to do with your frame size.

9st isn't a scary size in any respect. I weigh a little less than that (though I'm a little shorter) and it's never caused me problems, and more to the point I don't look like a beanpole :)

The only time I worry about my weight is if I'm ill which usually causes me to lose some weight which can make me feel awful and very tired. But I certainly don't worry about putting weight on - when I'm at home in summer I weigh half a stone more than I do when I'm at uni (home cooking, what can I say :) ). But there is no way you should worry about putting on a couple of pounds! I've never been into the whole diet thing, I probably check my weight only when I'm at the docs or when my mum asks me to to make sure I'm feeding myself properly. On the other hand, my mum has been on numerous diets and checks her weight all the time. As far as I can see it just makes you worry about gaining a few pounds that you'l probably lose in a few days anyway.

The weight that is right for a person I guess is whatever they feel comfortable and healthy being. Some people have to put on more weight to feel attractive, some have to lose weight. The point is though that they shouldn't feel like they "have" to do either.

If your looking for some random in the bop then I suppose it matters what you look like but if you're looking for something a bit more meaningful then I think you'd be surprised how many men are oblivious to how much you weigh or what ratio your bum and hips are in. Having said that if you look unhealthy then it isn't going to be attractive.

Most guys have types sure, but confidence, friendliness and personalities are the real keys. I find it odd that so many women are obsessed with their figure and looks when your average bloke is hardly an Adonis!
Pussycat

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:18 am

BMI is only really good for one thing in my experiences, making girls feel self-conscious about their weight.

I prefer curvy girls, skinny girls do nothing for me.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby cheeky on Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:47 pm

There's been about 360 million threads on this but I guess the main points are:

Personality can be far more attractive than looks, weight etc.

If you're confident in how you look, no matter how you look, then people will gravitate towards you regardless.

As long as someone looks natural then they look attractive, ie obesity not so good, skeletal like not so good, though it has to be remembered that there are people who can't help the way they look (medical problems etc). Most men find small boobs more attractive than fake ones and so on.

A lot of women worry far too much about their weight - men really aren't that fussy.

And there is a difference between skinny and slim, slim can also be curvy. And thinner women can be just as cuddly (likewise for slimmer men).

Find a weight that you yourself are happy with and don't be depressed about your weight - that'l just make you eat less/more (whichever one is bad). And don't stress about Christmas, you're just supposed to enjoy it. If you're worried about putting on weight then just go for a couple of brisk walks a week - that's all it takes.

And again men really don't care. Many don't have the first idea about dress sizes. Some guys like small boobs, some like bigger busts, some like big bums, some like little bums. And the best ones will like you for who you are. And let's face it, most of the men that chase 6ft tall blondes with giant melons are hardly a pretty picture themselves ;)
cheeky

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:48 pm

A hefty 11 stone at 5'8.5?? That is completely normal and healthy...and I am sure you looked wonderful...losing a few pounds off that is acceptable, but I think you went too far. The rail-thin model types that you see in fashion shows and in magazines just don't do anything for me, personally..give me curves any day.

I was a little taken aback by your post...

Postby lucycath on Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:48 pm

"My weight has always been an issue with me. I'm quite tall at around 5 foot 8 & 1/2 inches. This time last year I was a hefty 11 stone (155lb), then I started a diet at the start of 2003, and by mid June had dropped to my lowest of 7 stone 12lb (110lb). Granted that is a bit light for my height, and my family keep insisting I was boarderline anorexic, but I'm not convinced."

Ok, now first of all I don't want to offend you, and I am not saying you have an eating disorder, but I do get the impression that you have an unhealthy fixation on your weight. Do you have any type of family history where you felt you were judged on your appearance as a child by your mother or siblings or anything? I just really feel that you shouldn't be upset with weighing 11 stone at the height you are!

My boyfriend gets upset when I LOSE weight, so I might have a different point of view than some of the others...just don't lose too much more weight, okay?
lucycath

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:53 pm

I recently went from a BMI of 34 to a BMI of 25 losing 4 stone in the process. I can't honestly say that I have been beating the men off with a stick but I feel far better about myself. Perhaps weight isn't a major feature in deciding whether a girl is attractive or not it is just part of an overall package that also includes for example personality, hair and eyes. This girl's situation is different however because at the BMI she currently is she is underweight already. She doesn't need to lose anything. Perhaps regardless of whether blokes prefer skinny or curvy, they probably all find a girl unattractive if she spends all day starving herself to get down to an unrealistic weight.

Re:

Postby Saint Sal on Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:01 pm

First, the smug bit. Me, overly-curvy one might say, but not allowed to lose weight as my snugglebunny does not want me thinner (good boy so he is). He likes me as I am, so cool. But then I know he'd like me as I was, bigger, smaller, whatever. So there are people out there who have no qualms to what you look like, because they are nice and will love you no matter what (and you can't have my schoolboy, so hands off, right?)

Right, answering the question. If I'm out at night and I'm having a good lech around, I tend to go for the more buxom lass, the sort of girl who looks really cuddly. They tend to have wide hips and larger breasts and are sort of rounded, like a new Beetle. Comfy is good. If I could think of an example, I'd give it to you. But say around a size 16, with a cute tummy you can blow raspberries on.

However, as someone said, you can be slim and have curves. It all depends on your body make up, I suppose. Some are more androgynous than others, but then some prefer that, so don't stress, yeah?
Saint Sal

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board