Home

TheSinner.net

Crap Towns

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Crap Towns

Postby Raindance on Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:12 pm

I bought a book today called 'The Idler Book of Crap Towns: the 50 worst places to live in the UK'. It ranks the crappest towns in Britain in view of how many 'complaints' they recieved on their website. I was quite surprised to find St Andrews up at #7! Although on closer inspection the book did seem to make a lot of valid points.

Anyone agree with this ranking? Bearing in mind Barrow-in-Furness is only #47!

Also, can anyone who has read the book beat my record of having lived in three of the places mentioned (Cumbernauld (2), St Andrews (7), Dover (32))?

[hr]I chose not to choose life, I chose something else...
I'm only here because b3ta is broken.
Raindance

Re:

Postby immunodiffusion on Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:49 pm

Yeah, they featured St Andrews on Reporting Scotland when the book was published, and had interviews with random people in the street to see if they agreed with the ranking of second crappest town in Scotland!

See http://www.thesinner.co.uk/messageboard ... hread=5588 for the previous thread on this topic.
immunodiffusion

Re:

Postby Nell on Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:56 pm

I love st andrews! How could anyone rank it in the top ten crappy towns?! Its small and pretty, it has a lovely beach and alot of history. I think its fab!
Nell

Re:

Postby niall on Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:07 pm

is motherwell on it?
niall

Re:

Postby mossop on Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:58 pm

[s]niall wrote on 18:07, 3rd Dec 2003:
is motherwell on it?

If not, it should be :P

[hr]
http://www.geocities.com/stauwfc
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a crate. Coincidence? I think not.
mossop

Re:

Postby Setsuna on Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:47 pm

ah motherwell is on it. hurrah!!

But i dont understand... where are Greenock, Paisley and Dundee?

What is wrong with Largs?!?!
Setsuna

Re:

Postby Homer on Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:30 pm

Wasn't it the locals who voted on this topic, not the students?
Homer

Re:

Postby liliputian on Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:43 pm

yeah was the locals complaining about the ever increasing number of yahs arriving since hrh did...can't blame them really...

[hr]smile - it makes people wonder what you've been up to!!!
[i:143mmj9f]i know you want the sin but not the sinner...[/i:143mmj9f]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100186
liliputian

Re:

Postby tintin on Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:46 pm

Nowt wrong with yahs - the Scottish Pashmina-selling industry has undergone a renaissance!
tintin

Re:

Postby Miss Maryland on Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:51 pm

but it gives us something to talk about! yahs are silly people and i don't agree with their morals but i'd hate to see them go!

[hr]...and there was much rejoicing.
...and there was much rejoicing.
Miss Maryland

Re:

Postby Ashley on Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:14 am

I know it's a silly book, not intended to be taken completely seriously, but St Andrews really isn't that crap.

Cue Ashley's serious bit on the subject again, I'm afraid: St Andrews, compared to other places, has a really high living standard. It is precisely the students who help support its own independent local cinema, own independent butchers', bakery, even its own theatre and multitude of restaurants and pubs.

Very few towns this size can claim all of that.
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Re:

Postby Rrrr on Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:31 am

could you perhaps tell us what the book said? Bullet points of it's criticism, as this would help us form an opinion

[hr]"If you see a seven foot goose with trainers and a shotgun, avoid it!"
[b:7vpvjwv1]Splat![/b:7vpvjwv1]
Rrrr

Re:

Postby Raindance on Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:41 pm

The key points were:

1. Crap weather. Fair enough.

2. Crap transport: No train station.

3. The Students: 'You know the types. The Tobies and Tabithas. The pashminas and black body warmers. Fond of rugger'. Another fair point if a bit of a generalisation.

4. The KK(K) come in for a battering too, quite right.

5. Golf. Think about it long enough and you'll loath it too.

Very hard to argue against these points but do the good points outweigh the bad?
Hmmm....

[hr]I chose not to choose life, I chose something else...
I'm only here because b3ta is broken.
Raindance

Retaliation

Postby Little Ed on Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:39 pm

Okay, here's my defence:

1. Crap weather: Anyone who hasn't gone into lectures with the sun blazing, and come out in monsoon-like, visiblility defeating rain, hasn't lived.

2. Crap transport: Not just one, but two buses straight to Glasgow. I live right next to the bleeding town and I have to change buses twice to get there!

3. The Students- 'You know the types. The Tobies and Tabithas. The pashminas and black body warmers. Fond of rugger'. Another fair point if a bit of a generalisation: They only exist if you believe in them. And it is so much fun to scare the crap out of them.

4. The KK(K) come in for a battering too, quite right: Its best to label those we want to keep out of the gene pool.

5. Golf. Think about it long enough and you'll loath it too: You wouldn't believe how much good sh*t tourists with too much money leave in our charity shops after a large event.

All the tests prove is that there are a lot of moaners in St Andrews, which is an indication of low civic pride. Although, being travelling students ('nomadic learners' if you will), this is partially inavoidable, we should still revere this wonderful town that has given us so much in terms of a wonderful exerience.
As for the local people, they should be happy with how well the town is doing thanks to us students. They should also acknowledge that our rowdy behaviour, albeit unpleasant, will always continue; and that it will be around as long as the uni, which so far has been around 590 years.

To summarise: quit yer whining!
Little Ed

5 RIDICULOUS points

Postby Miss Hope on Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:58 pm

Raindance wrote that the key points were:

1. Crap weather. Fair enough.
Hi, we live in Scotland, it never has nor will it ever be known for its warm or hot temperatures. Get over it.

2. Crap transport: No train station.
It is a small town, we all knew this. No really small towns have their own train station, plus, one is only 10 minutes away-not too bad, right?

3. The Students: 'You know the types. The Tobies and Tabithas. The pashminas and black body warmers. Fond of rugger'. Another fair point if a bit of a generalisation.
This is not a fair point at all. There is a diverse student population and it is not fair to single out the most disliked type. As well as being a stereotype it is also largely untrue and upheld merely by appearances.

4. The KK(K) come in for a battering too, quite right.
Please tell me what in God's name is wrong with a VERY charitable organisation who happens to organise THE best events in St. Andrews? Who CARES if they are all-boys! Student life as we know it would not be the same without the opening ball, the jazz nights, the procession, the rugby tournament, the May dip, the May ball, etc. And as our dear auld toun is famous for its traditions and hence part of the reason we love it so much, shouldn't we appreciate those who want to uphold these great traditions? Of course this is only my, humble, opinion, but come on! Why hate them? There is NO good reason, admit it.

5. Golf. Think about it long enough and you'll loath it too.
Then why choose to study in THE Home of Golf?

Very hard to argue against these points but do the good points outweigh the bad?
Hmmm....
It is CERTAINLY NOT hard to argue these weak points, as none of them are very good and also unreasonable!

If you do not like it, do not have it. Very simple. Let's not forget one of the reasons why we all chose to attend this University, because it is the best in Scotland and one of the best in Britain. It has one of the best reputations because it is a lovely place, and should not be publicly humiliated with childish and unfair generalisations. I am, once again, shocked and then annoyed. Calm down people, take a big CHILL PILL and CHEER UP.
Miss Hope

Re:

Postby idealist on Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:54 pm

I seem to remember reading something about

'parents depositing their vile offspring'
in reference to the neginning of term.

So thats that then, apparently we're all vile. Nice!
idealist

Return to The Sinner's Main Board