Home

TheSinner.net

An International Trial for Saddam?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

An International Trial for Saddam?

Postby Paranoid on Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:29 pm

http://www.channel4.com/news/2003/12/we ... iller.html

I promise I wont make a habit of this, but found the analysis made just after General Clarke's quote quite interesting. Beforehand I was all for Iraqi's trying Saddam as it would be the biggest sign of a new beginning and Iraq controlling themselves. However, seeing as there still in the middle of writing the constitution and laws etc it would leave the process up to bias with the knowledge that the trying of their former president would be the first to experience these new laws. And after reading this article, I'd love to see the world's leading powers being taught a lesson (not just America), if Saddam's lawyer was to call upon key figures as the above article suggests, the removal of saddam would signal both new peace in the middle-east, and give world powers the kick up the a*se they need! (Can you tell I've had a radicalist lecturer all semester?)

[hr]..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:51 am

Saddam's crimes were against humanity as much as they were against the citizens of Iraq. He should be tried without any possibility of later accusations of factionalism.

The International Criminal Court was designed for this sort of thing, and is exactly what it should be used for.
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby Buzzboy on Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:42 am

Shame Iraq isn't a signatory to that agreement and neither is the probable prosecutor America. The ICC would be great if we could use it, which we can't, so we have to rig up some International tribunal thing, which looks decidedly like a large Australian Marsupial.

[hr]On the Seventh Day God said to Adam:

"Can I leave it with you?"
On the Seventh Day God said to Adam:

"Can I leave it with you?"
Buzzboy

Re:

Postby Nick Mitchell on Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:27 am

[s]Buzzboy wrote on 11:42, 19th Dec 2003:so we have to rig up some International tribunal thing, which looks decidedly like a large Australian Marsupial.

Well it worked well enough in regard to Yugoslavia, Rwanda, Tokyo and Nuremberg. And I'm pretty sure we'd get a more legitimate trial from a panel of international jurists than from the new Iraqi regime.
Nick Mitchell

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:32 am

My own personal point was that the presumably righteous powers would be shown up to not be so! Politics is never honest and clear, and the evidence leading up to the whole Iraq problem proves that!

[hr]..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Return to The Sinner's Main Board