Home

TheSinner.net

(Unofficial) Rules of the Library

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby KT on Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:13 am

yes, whispering is more annoying than normal conversation.

It's because, as anyone whose ever been involved in theatre knows, whispering carries over distance far more than talking very quietly. It's soemthing to do with the 'w' 'sh' and 's' sounds particularly when whispering (note: word sounds like thing it describes - I forget what it's called but there's a name for that)

Talking very quietly, although it can be at the same volume as whispering, doesn't carry in the same way so when in the wings of a stage we used to get evil glares from the stage manager if we whispered but if the conversation was necessary and done very quietly it was ok.

The other annoying thing when people in silent study rooms/library whisper is that you can't understand a whisper unless it's directed at you but if they talk at a similar volume you can and there is nothing more irritating than only getting bits of a conversation even if it is nothing to do with you. I find if I can hear all a conversation I can 'tune it out' very easily but if I only get the occassional word because they're whispering it's really distracting. I think this is because I attempt to guess the rest of the sentence, which leads to some interesting conversations!!
KT

Re:

Postby immunodiffusion on Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:57 pm

[s]KT wrote on 11:13, 19th Jan 2004:
It's soemthing to do with the 'w' 'sh' and 's' sounds particularly when whispering

Its because they're higher frequency noises, so they travel further. If you talk in a low voice at the same volume, less people will be able to hear you.

But really, you shouldn't need to talk in the library at all - if you want to have a conversation go outside or something - there's no point taking up space and disturbing everyone else if you're not actually using the library's facilities.
immunodiffusion

Re:

Postby Donald on Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:01 pm

That is such a good point. I dont mind a "Hi hows it going?" but when I was in there on Saturday people kept their conversation up for the almost the whole afternoon. If you want to talk go to the pub.
Donald

Re:

Postby iohannes on Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:14 pm

Onomatopoeic. Is that the word you were searching for KT?
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
iohannes

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:13 pm

Dont want to be accused of racism or anything like that, but as a general observation I've found on 2nd floor that its the foreign chinese students who are the worst in terms of library ettiquette, its almost always guaranteed to be there phone ringing away, and then they just chatter away whilst your working....ah well at least I had my last one today!

[hr]..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:27 pm

[s]immunodiffusion wrote on 17:57, 19th Jan 2004:
[s]KT wrote on 11:13, 19th Jan 2004:[i]
But really, you shouldn't need to talk in the library at all - if you want to have a conversation go outside or something - there's no point taking up space and disturbing everyone else if you're not actually using the library's facilities.

Hence the unofficial rules. If you don't like the conversations, move to the appropriate floor. This way everyone can still use the Library, even those of us who use it as the social centre of their lives.

[hr]
I love cheese.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby immunodiffusion on Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:08 pm

[s]Bonnie wrote on 19:27, 19th Jan 2004:

Hence the unofficial rules. If you don't like the conversations, move to the appropriate floor. This way everyone can still use the Library, even those of us who use it as the social centre of their lives.

But there's not actually that much space upstairs, especially during exams when everyone's in there. The reading room downstairs in the library is for precisely that - reading - not for chatting. When there are loads of places you can go in St Andrews if you want to chat to your friends - why pick the library?

I appreciate some people like/don't mind noise and distractions while they are working, but in that case, you might as well do your work in your bedroom, or in a pub, and leave the library for people who actually want to work quietly.
immunodiffusion

Re:

Postby iohannes on Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:16 pm

To be honest, it's pretty sad and pathetic if the Library is the social centre of your lives.

I despair at the people being admitted into this university these days. In my time, people couldn't wait until they could get out of the library and into the pub.
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
iohannes

Re:

Postby Precious on Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:36 pm

And as I said in my other post, some people don't observe these rules anyway.

[hr]Teeth! Teeth, my preciousss, but we has only six!
Teeth! Teeth, my preciousss, but we has only six!
Precious

Re:

Postby Rrrr on Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:40 pm

Have any of you actually tried asking the offending talker/noise maker to be quiet?
It's perfectly acceptable to do so, and will shut them up.

[hr]"If you see a seven foot goose with trainers and a shotgun, avoid it!"

spelling
[b:7vpvjwv1]Splat![/b:7vpvjwv1]
Rrrr

Re:

Postby library user on Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:28 pm

Where you work surely has more to do with what subject you're doing than how quiet you want it? At least that's what I've always found. People tend to go to the bit thats nearest to the books they will need so they don't have to go carting them around.

Eg: 4th Level - languages, medics, biology students
3rd Level - philosophy and other arts students
Physics library - physics and maths students
Purdie library - chemistry students
South Street library - Mediaeval history, psychology and divinity students
Modern History library - Modern and Scottish historians.
2nd level - people reading current periodicals and newspapers, or people who just want somewhere quiet to work but aren't using any of the books.
library user

Re:

Postby Magus on Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:12 pm

[s]Unregisted User library user wrote on 21:20, 19th Jan 2004:
2nd level - people reading current periodicals and newspapers, or people who just want somewhere quiet to work but aren't using any of the books.

Mwhahaha... that means we get to keep our library all to ourselves, as it apparantly doesn't exist. Yay! And it has far more relevant books than the main library. Pretty library... pretty view...
When I would pray and think, I think and pray to several subjects.
Magus

Re:

Postby PurelySynthetic on Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:16 pm

Ah yes there we go thats the reason why i dont go to the library! Apparantly computing students dont have a library to frequent ;o)
PurelySynthetic

Re:

Postby Magus on Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:23 pm

[s]PurelySynthetic wrote on 20:16, 20th Jan 2004:
Ah yes there we go thats the reason why i dont go to the library! Apparantly computing students dont have a library to frequent ;o)

Well, apparantly we are to frequent the 3rd floor, as "arts students". Shame none of the books we need are there. Move up one, please.
When I would pray and think, I think and pray to several subjects.
Magus

Re:

Postby Melkor on Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:51 pm

[s]Unregisted User GAH wrote on 01:57, 19th Jan 2004:
By all means, text - that's silent

Well I don't think so, even texting is quite noisy on some phones. It's very hard to work when the person in front of you sounds like they are communicating in morse code...

tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic - pause, there is a mistake - tick back tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic -pause, scroll up, i.e. slower tic tic. Then tic to send it. Arghhhhh!

People should go out of the library if they are sending a text message or on the phone. End of story.
Melkor

Re:

Postby Ashley on Tue May 11, 2004 7:51 pm

An unsubtle bump. Rather like the person using a mobile phone loudly, and repeatedly, earlier on.
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Re:

Postby Steveo on Wed May 12, 2004 11:29 am

[s]Magus wrote on 20:12, 20th Jan 2004:
[s]Unregisted User library user wrote on 21:20, 19th Jan 2004:[i]

Mwhahaha... that means we get to keep our library all to ourselves, as it apparantly doesn't exist. Yay! And it has far more relevant books than the main library. Pretty library... pretty view...
[/i]

Biology students have our own library in the bute, its small, but always deadly quiet.

[hr][s]What a beautiful world this will be .... what a glorious time to be free[/s]
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby tintin on Wed May 12, 2004 12:09 pm

People talking and chatting in the library really really really irritates me. On numerous occasions I have told people off in sarcastic tones those around me who insist on having long discussions, especially in groups. One the whole I find it's mainly girls who do it in gossipy little groups.

If they want to gossip, sod off and do it somewhere else, because I really don't care about how they met Darren in the Gin House last night! I'm trying to concentrate on something of a little more importance.
tintin

Re:

Postby garage red on Wed May 12, 2004 12:29 pm

In the Physics library it would be deadly quiet if it weren't for the conversations that the librarians have
garage red

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Wed May 12, 2004 12:50 pm

to all those complaining about the noise: do you not see the beauty of the unofficial rules? If you need quiet, be sure to use an upper floor, if want to chat, use the play pen.

[hr]I love cheese.
Bonnie

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board