Home

TheSinner.net

(Unofficial) Rules of the Library

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

(Unofficial) Rules of the Library

Postby Bonnie on Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:01 pm

2nd Level (floor with all of the computers)-- "louder" area; for those willing and looking for distractions; for those who work well with a little bit of background murmur; sometimes called the social centre of St Andrews; gossip floor; it's okay to eat, drink and talk in a soft voice; can leave mobile on; best place for people watching.

3rd Level-- slightly more quiet; for people who actually want to work but wouldn't mind a brief hello and whispered chat if you know the person well and happen to walk by. It's okay to eat non-noisy food such as a clementine or yogurt; can leave mobile on vibrate and return texts but not answer calls.

4th Level-- Shut the feck up, there's people trying to work up there! Unless you're their best friend and their house is currently burning down, don't bother people on the 4th floor. Try not to get up and walk around too much as you're disturbing people with the sounds of your footsteps. Chewing gum might be okay if you don't slurp, pop, or drop it into a book; mobiles should be left at the door basically; the floor for people who need silent study.

The Silent Study Rooms with doors-- for people having sex.(Don't laugh, it happens all of the time!)

I did not make up these rules on my own. These are tried and true and followed by most "regulars" and we would appreciate it if everyone took them to heart for the exam period.

[hr]I love cheese.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Clonion on Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:03 pm

[s]Bonnie wrote on 12:01, 15th Jan 2004:[i]
2nd Level (floor with all of the computers)-- "louder" area; for those willing and looking for distractions; for those who work well with a little bit of background murmur; sometimes called the social centre of St Andrews; gossip floor; it's okay to eat, drink and talk in a soft voice; can leave mobile on; best place for people watching.

Hmmm, have heard mobiles ringing here quite a lot, and people talking very loudly... lsat night someone's phone had God Save The Queen (not the Pistols) as a ring tone...
*is worried*

[hr]
"If I want to quantify anything, I measure it against Clones. There is nothing you will ever encounter in life you haven't seen in some form in Clones"
Neil Jordan
Clonion

Re:

Postby Morf on Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:38 pm

1st floor - special collections?
Morf

Re:

Postby Capt. Jean-Luc Picard on Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:30 pm

wow lol I didn't know that thanks Bonnie! :)

And yes 1st floor is where special collections are..rare items too?
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:30 pm

Forgot to mention that cubicles can be booked on all floors by leaving a random book there while your away to lunch, guaranteed to stop people stealing it! (Watched it work yesterday, with 10 people checking it out and leaving without question)
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:17 pm

[s]Paranoid wrote on 15:30, 15th Jan 2004:
Forgot to mention that cubicles can be booked on all floors by leaving a random book there while your away to lunch, guaranteed to stop people stealing it! (Watched it work yesterday, with 10 people checking it out and leaving without question)

The cleaner can always take it can she?

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:03 pm

She can, but then can they ever be bothered?! I tried it today, left some scraps of paper, a pen, and my jacket (most valuable asset left behind) for about 30mins to get lunch, no problems!

[hr]..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby Nature's Metropolis on Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:13 pm

Yup, it's true, people actually live in the library. During revision weeks when the library's open 24hrs, they move in with all their life-long possessions and work continuously throughout the day and night. If they feel like a break they'll just get up, wander around town for a couple of hours, come back and carry on.

The best is when you catch people in their cubicles sleeping and drooling on their notes. Suprised Residential Services hasn't caught onto this fact yet, it would save them no end of trouble.
'The English like eccentrics, they just don't like them living next door.'
Nature's Metropolis

Re:

Postby off he goes on Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:25 pm

slightly off topic but anyone got any idea when the library`ll be open till tonight?

[hr]sheets of empty canvas
untouched sheets of clay
off he goes

Re:

Postby underworlddreams on Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:55 pm

[s]Clonion wrote on 12:03, 15th Jan 2004:
Hmmm, have heard mobiles ringing here quite a lot, and people talking very loudly... lsat night someone's phone had God Save The Queen (not the Pistols) as a ring tone...
*is worried*

Heard that one about two mornings ago - everyone on 2nd floor burst out laughing...

Although I'm surprised no one stood up. A sign of the times?

[hr]
It's hard to look you in the face when we are talking / So it helps to have a mirror in the room...
underworlddreams

Re:

Postby Clonion on Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:57 pm

[s]off he goes wrote on 20:25, 15th Jan 2004:
slightly off topic but anyone got any idea when the library`ll be open till tonight?

[hr][i]sheets of empty canvas
untouched sheets of clay

[/i]

2 am , I believe
*hopes she is right*

[hr]
"If I want to quantify anything, I measure it against Clones. There is nothing you will ever encounter in life you haven't seen in some form in Clones"
Neil Jordan
Clonion

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:26 pm

What if you/someone left their wallet in there (its got money in it, mmm), would they/you take it? I doubt it would still be there; I would take it in an instant!

Re:

Postby Orphax on Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:33 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 18:09, 15th Jan 2004:
What if you/someone left their wallet in there (its got money in it, mmm), would they/you take it? I doubt it would still be there; I would take it in an instant!

/me is tempted to spark off another anti-Unregistered User debate.
Orphax

Re:

Postby Precious on Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:42 pm

[s]Bonnie wrote on 12:01, 15th Jan 2004:[/s

4th Level-- Shut the feck up, there's people trying to work up there! Unless you're their best friend and their house is currently burning down, don't bother people on the 4th floor. Try not to get up and walk around too much as you're disturbing people with the sounds of your footsteps. Chewing gum might be okay if you don't slurp, pop, or drop it into a book; mobiles should be left at the door basically; the floor for people who need silent study.

[hr]I love cheese.
[/i]
Wish someone had told the idiots I got stuck sitting next to the other day, who persistently distracted me with stupid conversations about snot, and how ProPlus make them feel sick. Not pleasant.

[hr]
Teeth! Teeth, my preciousss, but we has only six!
Precious

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:42 pm

Why? Is there a correlation being thievery and being unregistered as the above post would seem to indicate?
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:36 pm

Precious - was that whispering, or just a mistake in the formatting? i thought that considering it was frmo the 4th floor, whispering was a good idea.

[hr]
I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Precious on Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:18 pm

Was whispering.

[hr]Teeth! Teeth, my preciousss, but we has only six!
Precious

Re:

Postby Clonion on Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:54 pm

And of course it's possible to tell how near someone's exams are:
2nd floor: Exam in about a week's time, or just not that stressed.
3rd floor: beginning to take it a bit more seriously.
4th floor: exam in t-10 hours
Study Booths: an hour before the exams, but you've collared your tutor and are trying other means of getting a good mark....

[hr]
Neil Jordan
Clonion

Re:

Postby RichZ on Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:01 am

[s]Bonnie wrote on 12:01, 15th Jan 2004:

The Silent Study Rooms with doors-- for people having sex.(Don't laugh, it happens all of the time!)
[hr]I love cheese.

Is that from personal experience Bonnie?!? You little minx you! I'll pop in and see you in there next time! (But not in THAT way!)
RichZ

Re:

Postby GAH on Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:49 am

Not being a complete prude or anything, but to be honest I would have thought it is unacceptable to talk on your mobile phone anywhere in the library. By all means, text - that's silent, if you have your phone on at least quiet: and you should. Even if people like hubbub when they work there is something intensely irritating about mobile phone conversations: their general banality, the fact that they ae one-sided, that make them anti-social. Loud annoying ringtones doubly so. Especially when it's the peopl who only ever go into the library at exam time. How hard is it to remember to turn you phone to silent when you enter the library, with most phones it's just the push of a button. Please, for the love of God, do that. And take your mobile phone conversations outside, or at least into the foyer.

Sorry, about that. Actual conversations in the 1st floor level between human beings in the same geographical location are fine.

Is it just me who finds whispering more annoying than normal level conversation, you can't tune it out as well?
GAH

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board