Home

TheSinner.net

The Worst book you've ever read?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Campbell on Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:30 am

i liked sophies world, but i had to read it five times over a decade for it to make any sense whatsoever...

has anyone mentioned harry potter yet?
Campbell

Re:

Postby Miz Manda on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:05 am

I'll jump on the anti- Lewis Grassic Gibbon bandwagon. A Scots Quair is one of the few books I've ever really disliked. The name alone makes me flashback to my SG English class.

Anything by John Grisham. Though I have to admire the fact that he's made millions by basically writing the same book over and over again.

Also, I quite liked Bold Girls, North and South and Emma, all of which have been mentioned on this thread.
Miz Manda

Re:

Postby MadDog20/20 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:59 pm

[s]Campbell wrote on 13:15, 6th Mar 2004:
sunset song - pants

I don't think I have ever agreed with anything more. Although if you include scripts, studying Bold Girls did my head in too.
I listen to feminists and all these radical gals - most of them are failures. They've blown it. Some of them have been married, but they married some Casper Milquetoast who asked permission to go to the bathroom. These women just need a man in the house. That's all they need. Most of the feminists need a man to tell them what time of day it is and to lead them home. And they blew it and they're mad at all men. Feminists hate men. They're sexist. They hate men - that's their problem. ~Jerry Falwell
MadDog20/20

Re:

Postby Manic23 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:07 pm

I read 'The football factory' by John King recently, and I have to say I was greatly disappointed, especially as I love the film so much.

The structure was greatly confusing, and the lack of punctuation was absolutely infuriating, but there were some good bits.

I also loath anything by the Dark Lord that is Thomas Hardy, especially his poetry: Pure unadulterated turgid Dogwank
Manic23

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:56 am

The Handmaid's Tale - rubbish ending as it never actually tells you what happens.

The Lovely Bones - again, rubbish ending.

On The Road - nothing happens at any point during this book.

But the worst book EVER is The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - absolute nonsense and completely and utterly not funny. Rubbish rubbish rubbish.

Re:

Postby legohead on Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:25 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 09:17, 1st Mar 2005:

But the worst book EVER is The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - absolute nonsense and completely and utterly not funny. Rubbish rubbish rubbish.

pah! hiding behind an unregistered post, because you know you'd get blasted for that! Hitch hiker's guide is great. really looking forward to the film too!
This is for all those headless acrobats
faces crushed in the circus dust
all in the name of gravity
and the price of admission
legohead

Re:

Postby tintin on Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:32 pm

[s]Miz Manda wrote on 11:05, 1st Mar 2005:
I'll jump on the anti- Lewis Grassic Gibbon bandwagon. A Scots Quair is one of the few books I've ever really disliked. The name alone makes me flashback to my SG English class.

I'll admit that it's a little heavy, but it is a wonderful read; lost society and all that. What put you off it? I know that being made to read a book often does that, though.
tintin

Re:

Postby Humphrey on Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:44 pm

Virginia Woolf - Orlando, anyone else read this atrocity?

[hr]http://www.livejournal.com/users/humphrey_clarke/
Humphrey

Re:

Postby johness on Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:49 pm

:( I have to read it for a class this year.

[hr][s]I'll find out the answers when I know what to ask, but I speak a different language and everybody's talking too fast.[/s]
[s]As I walk away, I look over my shoulder to see what I'm leaving behind. Pieces of puzzles and wishes on eyelashes failed...[/s]
johness

Re:

Postby MadDog20/20 on Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:13 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 09:17, 1st Mar 2005:

Are you kidding me? It's great. It's supposed to be nonsense. Do you hate Monty Python too?

I think I just spotted an American. It's the only possible explanation.
I listen to feminists and all these radical gals - most of them are failures. They've blown it. Some of them have been married, but they married some Casper Milquetoast who asked permission to go to the bathroom. These women just need a man in the house. That's all they need. Most of the feminists need a man to tell them what time of day it is and to lead them home. And they blew it and they're mad at all men. Feminists hate men. They're sexist. They hate men - that's their problem. ~Jerry Falwell
MadDog20/20

Re:

Postby Manic23 on Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:03 pm

[s]Humphrey wrote on 12:44, 2nd Mar 2005:
Virginia Woolf - Orlando, anyone else read this atrocity?

Fuck, I have to do it this semester

It looks total pish
Manic23

Re:

Postby Humphrey on Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:18 pm

Don't bother reading it if you can help it, it's a pile of wank.

Humphrey

Re:

Postby Miz Manda on Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:43 pm

[s]tintin wrote on 12:32, 2nd Mar 2005:
[s]Miz Manda wrote on 11:05, 1st Mar 2005:[i]

I'll admit that it's a little heavy, but it is a wonderful read; lost society and all that. What put you off it? I know that being made to read a book often does that, though.
[/i]

I have been thinking about re-reading it actually, my teacher encouraged me to read it basically because my English class was full of neds and I was one of two people at all interested in reading. On thinking about it I dislike most of the stuff I read in that class. Maybe I'll give it another try.
Miz Manda

girlfriend in a coma

Postby mariposita on Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:29 pm

[s]Rob Hearn wrote on 19:25, 28th Feb 2005:[i]
Precisely. It was going along very nicely until the apocalypse, whereupon it became appalling. I like Douglas Coupland, but the second half of that book was preposterous.

I couldn't agree more . . .I was really enjoying it basically until she wakes up and the whole thing just becomes progressively more bizzare . . . .i don't really get why critics rave about him.
Also - has anyone read Sickened? I thought it would be really interesting - it is basically the autobiography of a woman whose mother suffered from munchausen by proxy. The details are pretty nasty - but the author pisses me off because she is so damn self-pitying and unlikable. Its not the worst book i have ever read, but it irritates me - does anyone else agree?
mariposita

Re:

Postby White Knight on Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:33 pm

A View from a Bridge by Arthur Miller,

closely followed by A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennesse Williams
White Knight

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Postby Anon. on Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:55 pm

...is really horrendously overrated. Moderately amusing in spots, but really, hardly all that.
Anon.

Re:

Postby sparkler on Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:35 am

Death Of A Salesman. Hate it. Was just depressing.
Woah lads!
sparkler

Re:

Postby Joesta on Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:41 am

Worst book I have read to date: Vanity Fair
Joesta

Re:

Postby richey on Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:17 pm

The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy. Horrific GSCE memories. Every other English set did Animal Farm, and we ended up with this load of depressing and complicated crap.
richey

Re:

Postby Anon. on Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:57 pm

[s]sparkler wrote on 09:35, 3rd Mar 2005:
Death Of A Salesman. Hate it. Was just depressing.

Read "Birth of a Salesman" by P.G. Wodehouse. It's a short story, and not depressing.
Anon.

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board