Home

TheSinner.net

mormans

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

mormans??

Postby ShinyHappyPerson on Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:43 pm

some strange religious sect type people just called round to doorstop me. (they werent mrs ross's lot though.) is this unusual in st andrews? ive certainly never seen them about before.
thankfully they didnt hang about as it was half three and i was still in my dressing gown. just to hammer the point home as they were there, i yelled "ill be back in a minute love."
the geeky young one (isnt there always a geeky young one?) giggled and blushed! hahaha unpure thoughts upon him!
"its the best thing since instant mashed potato"
ShinyHappyPerson

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:14 pm

It wasn't Garanga (or something like that?) I remember getting stopped in the street by them about this time 2 years ago. They were giving out CDS. It might be a Harry Krishner (spelling?) related thing?

[hr]vote ? for services
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby quarterstaff on Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:20 pm

[s]Zombie Sheep wrote on 16:14, 12th Mar 2004:[i]
It wasn't Garanga (or something like that?) I remember getting stopped in the street by them about this time 2 years ago. They were giving out CDS. It might be a Harry Krishner (spelling?) related thing?

ah, zombie sheep you ignoramus! the mormons are pseudo-christians - they follow the "book of mormon" which tells the story of christ's visitation to certain now extinct native american peoples after his death and ressurection.

the gouranga people are just some sect following weirdos...

strangely, the gouranga peeps who have accosted me in glasgow over the years seem to work on a rota basis, because i have ocasionally seen them in st. andrews. i guess that particular sect must have a travel bonus system or something.......
god damned mongolians!
quarterstaff

Deleted

Postby CarolynSD on Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:26 pm

This post has been deleted.
Last edited by CarolynSD on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarolynSD

Re:

Postby Cain on Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:51 pm

when i was in edinburgh watching the one o'clock gun they tried to sell me a CD. sorry, but my stereo will never have much time for so called "monk rock"

but i am very curious about it. damn them

[hr]
I don't want to be in a battle, But waiting at the edge of one I can't escape is even worse.
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Joesta on Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:11 pm

Last year I saw the jesus bus, or something like that, parked near the beach, after having just watched a program about them on BBC. Could have been that group.

[hr]
My favorite animal is steak.
Fran Lebowitz (1950 - )
Joesta

Re:

Postby The Man Next Door on Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:01 pm

Gouranga cd's have powers. I got one from a guy on the street who was selling them - he was saying to random people: "A hug for £2, a CD for £5" - i took the cd. (after i gave him the money, i said "who is this in aid of?", he said "Charity"... Deary me.) Anyway, we put it on when we got back, and it was just awful, so I threw it out the nearest open window. It wasn't there in the morning.

[hr]Listen to Massive Attack :D
Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.
The Man Next Door

Re:

Postby Setsuna on Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:35 pm

If you ask them what the money is in aid of, they just say charity. The Glasgow/Edinburgh ones kinda some to know not to talk to me, but once on a lovely rainy holiday to the lake district one accosted me in the street...

When i told him i wasnt gonna give him any money unless he told me what it was for, he started going on about how stingy scottish people are...

...he was promptly told were to go...

...they are a bit weird.
Setsuna

Re:

Postby Wong on Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:38 pm

I own that CD :(

The production on it is fairly terrible, and most of the tracks are ten-minute drones of chanting and strumming around aimlessly.

I did, however, also get the "Facts for Life" book by someone or other whose name looks like someone's cat walked across the keyboard, and I found some of that quite interesting.

[hr]You would not feel sadness if you never tasted joy
That's the curse of humans - born in passion, you destroy
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Re:

Postby FURY-161 on Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:51 pm

I met them for the first time in Aberdeen a number of chirstmases ago.

I got a cassette of that chanting stuff, a badge proclaiming "Shout Gouranga! Or else" (which adorns my bag to this day) and a bouncy ball with an LED inside it that goes mental when the ball is bounced.

The topper came the following year when the same guy who got me the year before asked me to go to the safeway to get him some butter and honey. Something to do with only getting sweet things on Sunday. At any rate, seeing as the guy was fairly pleasent, I complied. And spent ages looking for unsalted butter.

He said "thank you". Ah well, got my bit of Good Karma for that, at least.
[hr]
FURY-161
IMAGE:fire.prohosting.com/fury161/yellsign[1].jpg
"Anything to feel weightless again"
http://fury161.cjb.net
FURY-161
[i:1sjt1uqn]"Anything to feel weightless again"[/i:1sjt1uqn]
http://youtube.com/user/FiorinaFilms
FURY-161

Re:

Postby Campbell on Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:34 pm

[s]Wong wrote on 13:38, 13th Mar 2004:

I did, however, also get the "Facts for Life" book by someone or other whose name looks like someone's cat walked across the keyboard, and I found some of that quite interesting.

that was one of the most ridiculous books i have ever read. it was trying to prove the existence of their god by...wait for it...assuming that he existed in the first place! Genius!
Campbell

Return to The Sinner's Main Board