Home

TheSinner.net

Monkey, monkey, monkey....

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Monkey, monkey, monkey....

Postby Rrrr on Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:07 am

So what's your favourite kiddies song (typical brownies/BB's/scouts/nursery, whatever) and why.

Mine is the Animal Fair one, because when you get to the round bit, with half singing main lyrics of the song and the other half going monkey monkey monkey, and you're going monkey monkey monkey, it's really odd, and you can feel yourself switching between saying monkey monkey monkey and key-mon key-mon key-mon.
oh, plus the "slid down the elephants trunk" bit, cracked me up as a kid!

I love it!

oh, and no like theme songs from shows or like actual released chart songs (unless as like a joke track etc)
Basically just the songs you sang at school and in groupy things you know what i mean.
monkey

[hr]Monkey Monkey Monkey
[b:7vpvjwv1]Splat![/b:7vpvjwv1]
Rrrr

Monkey Monkey!

Postby Chain Mailer on Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:24 pm

Yay! You've gotta like that monkey! Wasnt there a big baboon by the light of the moon as well?

[hr]
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious
Chain Mailer

Re:

Postby iohannes on Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:31 pm

I believe the said Baboon was combing his auburn hair.

But I could be wrong.
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
iohannes

Re:

Postby Pender Native on Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:32 pm

The monkey song is good
so's sir Jasper off ''oh sir Jasper do not touch me, oh sir Jasper do not touch me, oh sir Jasper do not touch me,' as she lay between the lily white sheets with nothing on at all' and continues repeating, only missing out a word each time so you end up with a crowd of people moaning 'oh sir Jasper!' at the tops of their voices and finally just 'oh!' Childish I know! I also liked three blind jellyfish!
"I have seen flowers come in stony places
And kind things done by men with ugly faces,
And the gold cup won by the worst horse at the races,
So I trust, too."
Pender Native

Re:

Postby niall on Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:34 pm

i dunno what to answer.. i know (and love) so many childrens songs, tho many of the songs i know are religious kids songs they are still great :)
niall

Re:

Postby Pender Native on Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:36 pm

Father Abraham's good if you have the coordination!Oooh, and Puff the magic dragon. This thread might get a bit obsessional for me, I warn you now!
"I have seen flowers come in stony places
And kind things done by men with ugly faces,
And the gold cup won by the worst horse at the races,
So I trust, too."
Pender Native

Re:

Postby Guided By Vices on Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:13 pm

Some "Junior Choice" favourites:

"Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, just cos I eat worms"
"The runaway train came down the track"
"Sparky the magic piano"
"I'm a pink toothbrush, you're a blue toothbrush" (Max Bygraves of course)
Also a song called "Alexander Beetle", which is far too gruesome to describe.

Oh and..."I like bananas, monkey nuts and grapes". Repeat this line over and over, getting gradually louder until "I like bananas, monkey nuts and grapes and that's why they call me TARZAN OF THE APES!!!!!" Try it at home (or wherever you are) - you'll soon feel better.
Guided By Vices

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:39 pm

The runaway came down the track got released! I remember having it as a young(er) child. Oh, and before people start saying it was better in the old days, has anyone heard The Singing Kettle?
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby KT on Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:47 pm

YES someone else knows the monkey song!! A friend and I started singing it in Hall Kitchens after someone mentioned auburn hair and everyone else looked at us as if we were wierd. Admittedly 2 of them are from Luxembourg but we were very disappointed that no-one else seemed to know it.

Also like runaway train (anyone got the words I can't remember all of it)
and the one with the chorus which starts

'we are redmen tall and straight / with our feathers and war paint / Pow wow...'

and is complete with actions and discriptions of torturing people (have heard many many variations of the verses depending on whose doing the singing)

also one I assume is North American in origin starts with 'Land of the silver birch, Home of the beaver' with each verse ending with a variation of 'Blue lake and rocky shore / I will return once more/ boom diddy-i-di boom diddy-i-di boom. (not sure of spelling of last bit but something like that!)

ooo childhood songs i could go on all day but that'll have to do for now....

Although I HATE 'The bear went over the mountain' cos it is never ending and once had to sing it continuously to stop one of my baby brothers from crying whilist on a car journey from Liverpool to surrey (about an hour south of london) It was a very very long way and every time we stopped singing he started crying again. It almost got to the point where the crying would have been preferable except Mum who was driving said she couldn't concentrate over the crying.

(Edited because I can't spell or type apparently although I've undoubtably missed something anyway!)
KT

Re:

Postby Mister Frodo on Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:52 pm

[s]Zombie Sheep wrote on 13:39, 23rd Mar 2004:
Oh, and before people start saying it was better in the old days, has anyone heard The Singing Kettle?

Spout, handle, lid of metal, what's inside the siiiiiinging kettle! Yes! And it was better in the old days.
Mister Frodo

Re:

Postby Happy-Go-Lucky on Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:53 pm

[s]Mister Frodo wrote on 13:52, 23rd Mar 2004:
[s]Zombie Sheep wrote on 13:39, 23rd Mar 2004:[i]
Oh, and before people start saying it was better in the old days, has anyone heard The Singing Kettle?

Spout, handle, lid of metal, what's inside the siiiiiinging kettle! Yes! And it was better in the old days.
[/i]

Oh, I loved them. I had one of their albums, saw them at the theatre, at school, and our school would have sessions where we got to listen to their songs. Fantastic. The Bunny Fufu song was a bit twisted, though.

"Sister, sister, I've been thinking,
What on EARTH have you been drinking?
Smells like water, tastes like wine,
Oh my gosh, it's terpentine!"

I was a fan of "The Ugly Duckling" song. "Jake the Peg" by Rolf Harris was one of the funniest songs ever.
Happy-Go-Lucky

All hail the Kettle singth!

Postby Chain Mailer on Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:56 pm

Singing kettle got me through kindergarten! Oooh! Forgot to mention the Swinging on a Star song... y'know 'Would you like to swing on a star, carry moonbeams home in a jar' I can remember you could be a fish or pig, think there was a donkey too, can anyone enlighten?
Also Jake the Peg (deeddleeddleedlum)
and 'Football Crazy' classic :)

[hr]
Chain Mailer

Re:

Postby Rrrr on Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:31 pm

DOes anyone know the song that at some point talks about scraping up a guy of the ground, putting his remains in a jam jar and sending them to has mam for the mantlepiece?
I think it might be to the "grapes of wrath" tune, but probably not. anyway.

[hr]roll roll roll roll roll
squishity squish
Rrrr

Re:

Postby Marco Biagi on Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:47 pm

As I was taught at Cubs:
(to the tune of a Republican battle song - 'John Brown's body lies a-mouldering in his grave...')

He jumped from forty thousand feet without a a parachute...
He jumped from forty thousand feet without a parachute...
He jumped from forty thousand feet without a parachute...
And he ain't gonna jump no more.

They scraped him off the runway like a pound of strawberry jam...

They put him in an envelope and sent him to his mum...

They spread him on the muffins when the vicar came to tea...

(and yes, I was a member of the Cubs)

[hr]"our very own Slobodan Milosevic"
- Saint Sal (http://www.thesinner.net/account-viewpr ... aint%20Sal), 2001.
Marco Biagi

Re:

Postby Rrrr on Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:29 pm

and then "gory gory parachuter" as opposed to glory glory hallejulah(sp? no idea)
anyway, that's what my bro thinks

[hr]roll roll roll roll roll
squishity squish
Rrrr

Return to The Sinner's Main Board