Home

TheSinner.net

Head of Marketing, Media and Design

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Head of Marketing, Media and Design

Postby docomm on Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:01 pm

If you're interested in taking over the position of Director of Communications (which has the new spangly title above), then we're taking applications. Duties include : design of publicity for all Association events, departments, campaigns; design and administration of the website; control and editorship of the Vine magazine; responsibility for all PreSesh material, including societies directory, alternative prospectus, as well as all the other stuff in the packs; control of all marketing aspects of the Association; and anything else that may need doing, such as the information screens, advertising within the building, emails etc.

For more info look at www.yourunion.net under 'jobs', or email me at docomm.

Deadline is Monday 19th April.
docomm

Re:

Postby someone on Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:26 am

Bump for Nicola.
someone

Re:

Postby Al on Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:21 am

Is it her birthday?

[hr]Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Al

Re:

Postby sheerbrillance on Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:38 pm

Is Nicola struggling to find some one to take over from her? I wonder if thats why she's pushing hugely....wonder what would happen if no one applied?
sheerbrillance

Re:

Postby The Bigot's Bigot on Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:17 pm

I think she just wants to give everyone the chance to apply. if she did no do that then there would be the inevitable moaning accusations of the appointment having been an 'inside job'.
Who is John Galt?
The Bigot's Bigot

Re:

Postby addiction on Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:03 pm

sorry for being ignorant, but is it a sabbatical?
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
addiction

Re:

Postby Biitchboy on Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:05 pm

[s]addiction wrote on 16:03, 15th Apr 2004:
sorry for being ignorant, but is it a sabbatical?

Yes it is.
Biitchboy

Postby ever_nocturnal on Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:04 pm

Last edited by ever_nocturnal on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ever_nocturnal

Re:

Postby docomm on Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:07 pm

There will be no election on this position - hence why it wasn't up for election in March. The new person will be decided on by merit through an application and interview process not cross-campus election, and will therefore not have a vote on many committees. Any questions to docomm...
docomm

Postby ever_nocturnal on Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:41 pm

Last edited by ever_nocturnal on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ever_nocturnal

Re:

Postby niall on Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:52 pm

[s]ever_nocturnal wrote on 19:41, 15th Apr 2004:
Although perhaps wise to get someone with qualifications in on the job.

that, i believe, is the main reason behind the change

[hr]
do you have a tastyspoon?

http://www.tastyspoon.com/forum

IMAGE:www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
niall

Hmmmm.

Postby La Jouissance on Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:07 pm

Sorry to be a bit of a wet blanket on this, but does anyone remember the unmitigated failure the last time this kind of thing was tried.

I forget the job title then, as well as the chap who was in the job, but I remember it didn't last very long before he got the boot/left?
La Jouissance

Re:

Postby Marco Biagi on Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:48 pm

I forget the job title then, as well as the chap who was in the job, but I remember it didn't last very long before he got the boot/left?

You might be thinking of the Ents Manager (but that was a *long* time ago). That was a disaster, but the same thing wouldn't be so much of a problem this time because the person appointed would only be on a one-year contract.

[hr]
"our very own Slobodan Milosevic"
- Saint Sal, first generation Sinner, 2001.
http://www.marcobiagi.com
http://www.billionairesforbushorkerry.org
Marco Biagi

Cheek!

Postby La Jouissance on Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:26 pm

Marco, *Long* time ago?!?!?!

I'm not that old...
La Jouissance

Re:

Postby Bryn on Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:22 pm

[s]niall wrote on 19:52, 15th Apr 2004:
that, i believe, is the main reason behind the change

Very much so. It was felt that since the job requires a huge amount of skill, it is probably best that the position be appointed, and applicants demonstrate their ability beforehand. The role really has nothing to do with politics any more, so doesn't need a vote.

[hr]
Come and see "Baby with the Bathwater" - http://baby.tz4.com
Bryn

A reply

Postby docomm on Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:48 am

As Bryn says, the post of DoC is a tricky one in that it needs someone of creative ability to do the job properly. You don't necessarily need 'qualifications' to apply for the position, just be able to demonstrate creativity - if you can use the relevant software, great! but it's not a necessity - you can pick it up as you go along.
Another problem that has come out from this has been the impact of a lack of support for the DoC from their relevant sabbatical team, which is why these positions (Marketing, Trading etc) are no longer up for election, allowing interested people to put themselves forward to be decided upon by merit.

As for the not having a vote - that wasn't intended as my answer 'why' we're not electing, but as a pointer that this is what will now happen. It's not that the opinions of the DoC are not trusted (the DoC was elected by the student body to represent them, so obviously their opinions are those of the students), but legally, a student can only have a vote on committees such as SRC and SSC if they have been elected cross campus to represent the students.

Hope this clears some issues up.
docomm

Postby ever_nocturnal on Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:22 am

Last edited by ever_nocturnal on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ever_nocturnal

Re:

Postby Intolerant Bastard on Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:58 pm

You really are a nasty little tit. Piss off.
Intolerant Bastard

Re:

Postby Al on Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:12 pm

I don't think it is reasonable to hold the fact that someone - save for running against RON - was elected unopposed. *That* - at the very least - is not the successful candidate's fault.

[hr]Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Al

Re:

Postby Amanda on Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:12 pm

meow. are you a stooge of the doc put there to just back them up and not comment on the points being made?

i agree his arguments could be put a little more nicely, but to be honest, he and others have got a point. just because someone was elected doesn't mean that their opinions are those of the studets, it just means that they got a majority vote. which, with regard to recent elections, doesn't necessarily mean a substantial amount of people.

also, the comments about the website and the work done may have a point - it's a tad irritating to receive emails advertising 'tuesday...this happens' on the wednesday afternoon, and as for the website, well it's not looking great, it's out of date, and it's not very user friendly.
[s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
Amanda

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board