Home

TheSinner.net

has anybody else recieved this odd email?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

has anybody else recieved this odd email?

Postby Happy-Go-Lucky on Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:06 pm

A few days ago I received an email which was odd. It was addressed to my, and 2 other very similar St Andrews Webmail accounts. I do not recall what the sender's address was, and I did not recognise it. It said something like "Could you give me a ring when you get into the office." I assumed that somebody had used my email address by mistake, though I thought it odd that the other 2 email addresses were so similar. I simply deleted it. However, today, a couple of friends of mine, both with very different St Andrews Webmail accounts, say they have received the exact same email. Both said the email was also addressed to 2 other St Andrews Webmail accounts, similar to their own.

We are therefore, suspicious that this is possibly some sort of virus or other rogue email. The email did not contain an attachment. But it has been suggested that it is possibly something triggered by replying to it. We don't know that this is a dodgy email, but we thought the circumstances were suspicious. I've emailed the IT Services desk about it. But I was just wondering if anybody else has got this email. It seems very strange.
Happy-Go-Lucky

Re:

Postby Cain on Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:10 pm

my email starts with an A, and a mate whose address starts with a K got one too. i don't remember it being sent to two other people as well, but i don't trust anything that says stuff like that. especially if they come from people i don't know. it went straight in the circular file.

I really don't know what the point was, but it could be that replying to it confirms that yours is an active account, meaning that you're good for spamming.

[hr]
I will diminish, and go into fourth year, and remain Cain
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Abracadabra on Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:10 pm

I got this e-mail, as did my friends, under different guises and also e-mailed IT services helpdesk. It was completely bizarre!
Abracadabra

Re:

Postby Simon Atkins on Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:11 pm

Yep got it, but did the same as you and deleted it. As I do to most emails that seem to have some form of cryptic message as they are normally viruses.
Simon Atkins

Re:

Postby Champagne_truffle on Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:21 pm

Yup, got one too. Didn't reply to it or anything but I think I shall go and delete it now!
Champagne_truffle

Re:

Postby G. on Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:28 pm

hey i got that too, i was only adressed to one person however (again similar address to mine). i forwarded it to the person who it was addressed to, only to get a weird and equally confused reply that they knew nothing about it? in my case it was from "Weston Hartman", who or what ever the hell they are?
G.

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:37 pm

Yep I got it too. Mine was from an Eferon Deleon and it appeared to be sent to at least 6 ppl who have email addresses starting with k. I deleted as I didn't have a clue what it was on about.
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Penny Lane on Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:41 pm

got this as well, mine was from "wanda becker". deleted it but don't understand how this could have contained a virus as it was a tiny file with no attachment?
Penny Lane

Re:

Postby niall on Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:50 pm

i also got it

[hr]do you have a tastyspoon?

http://www.tastyspoon.com/forum

IMAGE:www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
niall

Re:

Postby Mr Melville 1997 on Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:58 pm

Yeah, I got this one too - from "Reggie Ellis"
Mr Melville 1997

Re:

Postby Wong on Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:04 pm

Maybe it would have been quicker to ask who hadn't got it.

It looks like it's a spam email being disguised by only being sent to a few e-mail addresses at the same time, maybe slowly working through them alphabetically. It's most likely just something to get you to respond to it to confirm that your email address exists - and if you do that, you'll be bombarded further.

[hr]You would not feel sadness if you never tasted joy
That's the curse of humans - born in passion, you destroy
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:04 pm

I got it- I assumed it was a spammer checking to see if the address they were sending to was active, by seeing if you replied. Could be wrong though.

[hr][s]Log Lady: I heard you speaking about Laura Palmer?
Dale Cooper: Yes?
Log Lady: One day my log will have something to say about this. My log saw something that night.
Dale Cooper: Really. What did it see?
Log Lady: Ask it.
[Cooper hesitates]
Log Lady: I thought so. (walks away)
[/s]
[i:1wp3kko0]Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
[/i:1wp3kko0]
LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby marsbarboy on Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:17 pm

i got it too. It may well be a message confirming your email address is active.. the spammer would need to include a link to a small blank white picture in the message, when you open the message, your computer requests the image from the server...hence the server knows you opened the message and therefore that the account is active.

But. I didn't check if it does contain such a picture. If you open it with pine it would tell you if there is something like that in it. This isn't a 'read receipt' message because those open a prompt box with your client, and you would notice that.
marsbarboy

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:50 pm

I haven't got one :o( feel all left out now...

[hr]..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby andrewdalgleish on Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:16 pm

it's all spam!!! just delete them/get a spam filter to remove them for you.
andrewdalgleish

Re:

Postby Quentinfetishwoman on Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:49 pm

I got it. Just deleted it.

[hr]'In parenthesis, one could discuss their individual feelings but they're clear enough, so let the pictures speak for themselves.'
"Horror by definition is the emotion of pure revulsion. Terror by the same standard is that of fearful anticipation"-Dario Argento
Quentinfetishwoman

Re:

Postby tintin on Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:06 pm

Yes, I got it to my Yahoo! address - so it would appear that whoever it is is not UK-based.
tintin

Re:

Postby Midget on Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:53 pm

I got one.
Midget

Re:

Postby Biitchboy on Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:55 pm

I didn't notice if I got one, but i get so much spam i automatically delete anything if I don't recognise the name and/or the title is unusual or blatantly commercial. However, maybe the fact that i get so much spam attests to the fact that I've opened something similar in the past...

[hr]If I gave a shit, you'd be the first person I'd give it to.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~lgbtsoc
*This post does not necessarily reflect the views of the society* :-P
Biitchboy

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:19 pm

My flatmates all got it as well. I presumed it was testing email addresses, and I thought, a nice feature for webmail would be the ability to bounce back the email saying the address does not exist, then we would get no more spam!

[hr]http://www.savetheworld.co.uk - help stuff, win stuff.
Zombie Sheep

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board