Home

TheSinner.net

Stress-coping-mechanisms

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Stress-coping-mechanisms

Postby Stressed on Sat May 08, 2004 4:21 pm

I have reached that point in my life again where I find myself doing strange things as some sort of coping mechanisms for, or maybe just a side-effect of stress. Since my last year at school, I have had an on/off suffering of bulimia. This has a particular habit of popping up when I'm very upset or under stress especially around exam time. I know it sounds stupid, and probably many of you will judge me as a loony, sad-case or just sickening, but I just seem to get some relief of tension by doing it. It's almost like letting off steam, and makes me feel more focused afterwards. It's a bit like trashing your room, banging the table or punching something when you're really frustrated. I am not expecting any cures, answers, advise or suggestions in response to this thread. I don't feel particularly sorry for myself, it's just something I do. Though I suppose many people would tell me that the fact that I do it at all means that something's wrong, even if I think I feel ok doing it, because I'm not convinced it's normal behaviour. So I guess I'm posting this 1) to let off some steam, and 2) to see if other people experience similar stress-coping mechanisms. It would comfort me slightly to know that I'm not the only one who experiences this sort of thing because of stress.
Stressed

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Sat May 08, 2004 7:13 pm

I just take tablets, herbal ones at that. Try 'Kalms', 'Unwind' or 'Sharp Mind', all at boots.

-and reasonable prices too :)

[hr]http://www.savetheworld.co.uk - help stuff, win stuff.
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby Snake on Sat May 08, 2004 8:20 pm

Snake finds that pikey (ned) battering is often an effective stress relief, as long as you dont kill them as that only causes more problems.

(golf clubs work well)
Snake

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Sat May 08, 2004 8:40 pm

What about talking about yourself in the third person?

I don't really get much stress but I find that sleeping, walks and alcohol all ease the tension.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Ewan Husami on Sun May 09, 2004 8:02 am

Exercise!
A 20 minute work out (or brisk walkabout) boosts your endorphin levels, making you feel less stressed, and potentially quite happy.
Ewan Husami

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun May 09, 2004 10:06 am

Obvious comment I know but you should really go and see your doctor rather than just putting up with it.

Re:

Postby moonshine boy on Sun May 09, 2004 10:21 am

i find that cycling everywhere is a great stress releaver

Oh yes and listeneing to music
moonshine boy

I am not a professional!

Postby Bonnie on Sun May 09, 2004 10:52 am

But I would think that "stress-coping" to the point of bulimia is more of a sign that you feel out of control, hence you do something to affect what you can control such as your eating habits. But, MOST IMPORTANTLY, making yourself throwup is detrimental to your health. You're hurting yourself!
If I knew who you were I'd say to your face that you should seek help, call Nightline for information (46 2266 7pm to 8am every night of term), contact Student Support (sss@st-and.ac.uk or 46 2720), go to your doctor/ healthcentre (Nightline can tell you which doctor you're registered with), maybe the Samaritans (08457 90 90 90 or jo@samaritans.org) or something. Hurting yourself in order to prove that you are in control of your stress is not the answer. You can still have control over your life, even at stressful times, without making yourself sick.

As to how I cope with stress, I honestly just have really intense nightmares and thus get no sleep. Then I wake up and try to deal with whatever was stressing me out (hence most of my academic work is done between midnight and 7 am) because I'd get no sleep no matter if I stayed up and worked or tried to sleep.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby mossop on Sun May 09, 2004 10:55 am

I get really horny when I'm stressed. Which is annoying since my man's at home :-(
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a crate. Coincidence? I think not.
mossop

Re:

Postby tramp on Sun May 09, 2004 11:26 am

[s]Unregisted User Stressed wrote on 14:48, 8th May 2004:
Since my last year at school, I have had an on/off suffering of bulimia. This has a particular habit of popping up when I'm very upset or under stress especially around exam time. I know it sounds stupid, and probably many of you will judge me as a loony, sad-case or just sickening, but I just seem to get some relief of tension by doing it. . So I guess I'm posting this 1) to let off some steam, and 2) to see if other people experience similar stress-coping mechanisms. It would comfort me slightly to know that I'm not the only one who experiences this sort of thing because of stress.

I also used eating during my last year at school to supposedly control my stress. only after coming to University did i realise i was close to anorexic. I was constantly counting calories in my head and plotted my daily intake of fat, calories etc on charts religiously for months as well as running excessively. it went largely unnoticed until my mum found me counting individual pieces of pasta so as not to boil a quantity which would take me over my 'calorie limit.' You definitely do need to find help. The complete change of lifestyle was enough for me to get better. I still count all the time but don't beat myself up about it.
If you accept your bulimia it will only get worse.
I suggest telling your family so they can keep an eye on you if you are at home over the summer.
tramp

Hypocritical I know

Postby Maisha on Sun May 09, 2004 2:30 pm

Know what you mean, I've found myself using, what most would call, 'unconventional' methods to destress. Its funny as I know most would class it as strange/ a problem, I dont see it as bad as it does destress me and lets me focus and sort out my priorities. I spose if it makes you feel better, but making yourself sick is pretty drastic, I dunno, maybe its just coz I'm a biologist but maybe you should try another form of stress releif :)
lol

[hr]
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
Maisha

Return to The Sinner's Main Board