Home

TheSinner.net

The Campus Movie Fest People's Choice

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

The Campus Movie Fest People's Choice

Postby Tyler Fincher on Tue May 11, 2004 12:09 am

Since there wasn't an official one this year, which three films would you choose for the people's choice award for the campus movie fest?

In order:
1.super mega cool gold,
2.shiney-wonderful silver,
3. luvverly bronze.
Tyler Fincher

Annoy Bill

Postby Graham on Tue May 11, 2004 6:13 am

For me the Annoy Bill film and the kung fu one were the best by miles (much better than the hamster thing). I'm not too sure about the ordering on the night as I think there were a few shorts that were just one film? Anyway, I loved the halls and the one with the girl in the white dress too.

Good work guys!

Graham.

ps - what happened to Guantanamo Baywatch? Censorship?
Graham

Re:

Postby [WSD]-Deus on Tue May 11, 2004 7:56 am

Straight to video (my team's, team 39's video) consists of three short trailers. Annoy Bill (cut up into three parts), The Halls (horror), and Full Moon of the Jade Monkey Part 3 (kung fu).

The reason that I think my team's video should be people's choice winner (I didn't agree with all the choices for tonight's movies, nor the order and choice of the top three...) is because I thought it was best received by the audience(there was a lot of laughter and applause in comparison to the other movies), and i really do like the movie my team members and I made - I know i am biased for it, but i am still being rational.

comments are welcome ;)

[hr]<<[WSD] UK PAL Uber Elite>>
<<[WSD] Council>>

IMAGE:www.gamersjunction.com/XBC/ColdWire/deus.jpg

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine! - The dead only know one thing, it is better to be alive."
<<[WSD] UK PAL Uber Elite>>
<<[WSD] Council>>

IMAGE:www.ibgone.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10023/deus%20-%20best.jpg

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine! - The dead only know one thing, it is better to be alive." - Full Metal Jacket
[WSD]-Deus

Re:

Postby AR on Tue May 11, 2004 8:09 am

Um, did anyone else think Bully For You was infinitely better than the hamster thing?
"Well la de dah... la de dah"
--annie hall
AR

Re:

Postby legohead on Tue May 11, 2004 8:17 am

I think '4 years in 5 minutes' was brilliant. and one thing that bothered me, why was there no prize for best comedy? it would surely have won.

didn't care too much for 'bully for you' though it was sweet, it didnt grab my attention.

the hamster film definately deserved 1st, so well put together, and yey- another political jab!
This is for all those headless acrobats
faces crushed in the circus dust
all in the name of gravity
and the price of admission
legohead

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue May 11, 2004 9:09 am

Last year there was a web site where you could watch all the imovies, is there a web site this year?

Re:

Postby Aldous on Tue May 11, 2004 9:13 am

Some might argue that 4 years in 5 minutes got bigger laughs than 'Annoy Bill'. - was it really only five minutes long...?

But I do think it was great and should have been in top three.
Aldous

Re:

Postby Rennie on Tue May 11, 2004 9:22 am

4 years in 5 minutes is an excellent film, and not just because i'm in it :)
Rennie

Well done everybody!

Postby random on Tue May 11, 2004 9:58 am

I had a number of emotions fly through me last night.

I was highly, highly impressed by the standard of movies this year. I think a previous poster said it best- the bar has really been raised this year.

I was also gutted that ours didn't make the cut- I really thought we'd have been up there, but c'est la vi. Next year we'll be back with a bang. Apparently it got a great reception when it got played in Venue 1 (It was the Golfing Louts one- 'Four Irons and a Wood'), but I didn't get to see it, cause I was queueing at the bar for a half hour. *ahem* ....anyway, rant over... needed to get that out of my system...

Now, while I'm here, I might as well give my opinion on some of the movies :)

Annoy Bill/Kung Fu/The Halls:
Bloody brilliant guys. Well done. I was really bowled over by the effort put into this. I'm eager to ask a few questions. How did you get that shot with the guy spinning over the girl's fist?? Suspend a dummy from a rope or something? Super. How about the bit where she jumps into the air? Digital effect? Also, did you use other software appart from iMovie to get some of the effects? Good show all round- well done.

Killer Hamster:
I have to say, I really loved this one. Not 100% sure if I'd have pegged it as the winner, but it would certainly have made my top 3. Fantastic intro, great plot, sublime editing, perfect score and score-timing, and funny as hell. Beautiful.

Of the above two, I'd probably have picked Annoy Bill etc. as the winner, but my suspicion is that Hamster won because it was mostly done with iMovie and the other won wasn't. Of course I could be talking total shite here, so feel free to correct me. That's just my guess. They were both brilliant though, and I think everybody involved should be proud.

Bully For You:
Wasn't mad about this one personally, but I can see the appeal. It was a great idea and fairly well executed. Great to see a town/gown effort up there too. Might perhaps have been marred slightly by the Raisin scene and the ending. I didn't get the ending at all- perhaps someone could help me out there? I sorta missed what the old guy (main protagonist) said to the other old dude...

The Last Broadcast:
My mate Graham (who loved this one), said it best. This took the best bits of a lot of cool movies and did a great job of merging them into one. Super work, well done folks...

Four Years in a Day:
I was in a bit of a bad mood heading into Younger Hall last night, but this movie had me laughing my ass off. That says it all I think.

The Charlie Chaplin one:
I liked it, but I'm not sure if I'd have had it in the top 12 having seen some of the other ones in Venue 1. Hmmmm. Good stuff though, nonetheless.

I wasn't a huge fan of the 'arty' movies this year. There was some nice cinematography here and there though- I appreciated that.

Running guys:
Really liked the shot at the end of the 'running guys' film when the credits were rolling- you know the beach shot, with the moving sands? I'm not exactly sure what was going on there, but it looked cool. I'd love to know how you folks got the ultra-smooth side-camera shots of the guys running along? That was great camera work.

Highlander:
My favourite of the arty movies was the one with the highlander sword-dude. Fantastic acting performance at the beginning. Well done. Not sure if the ending was congruent with the feel of the whole piece, but nonetheless- great effort.

Girl in white dress:
I think I might be one of the few people who didn't like this one. I did like two elements of it though. The girl-disappearing dissolves were very well put together. Kudos. Also, it deserved to be up there for the original soundtrack- well done there.

Poetry film:
I can see why people might have liked this one, but I didn't. It had it's moments, but I guess I just feel that poetry and film have never merged well. That's my own irrational bias at work though.

The Collector (painter + dead girl):
Again, didn't really like it that much. *shrug*... maybe that's just me...

Did anybody catch 'Love Factually' in Venue 1 by any chance? I thought this one was really well put together and perhaps deserved to make the cut. Well done to all involved there.

I'd be interested to know if many people were making extensive use of software other than iMovie? I noticed there were a good few composite shots in use (text + other stuff overlayed on the main image). I didn't think this was possible with iMovie, but I could be wrong. We resorted to using Adobe Premiere to do a composite shot in ours. We'd have actually done composite shots throughout the movie, but didn't want to over-use other software etc.

Anyhoooo.. this post has come out a bit longer than I intended it to be! I guess it reflects how enthusiastic I was and still am about this whole event. I think CampusMovieFest epitomises the dream university event. A venture that somehow magically manages to get a huge number of people involved in a creative process outside of their requisite chores should be cherished. We are very lucky people.

Actually, the word 'magically' in the above paragraph is a misnomer. This would not have happened had it not been for the hard graft of a good many people. So, Ben, Ben, Victoria, Rachel, Simon, CampusMovieGuys who's names I forget, and anybody who made this happen who I don't know- I salute you.

random
random

Censorship?

Postby TonyMurray on Tue May 11, 2004 10:00 am

To see the controversial Guantanamo Baywatch follow this link:

http://www-is1.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~am144/Guantanamo.mov
"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

Jack London
TonyMurray

Re:

Postby Setsuna on Tue May 11, 2004 10:18 am

IM torn between 4 years in 5 days (which was really really funny) and Straight to Video, which was visually hilarious - i loved the jade monkey training scenes, esp the one on the dance mat on the beach :D

Straight to Video was more genius tho ;)
Setsuna

Re:

Postby Thackary on Tue May 11, 2004 10:28 am

When is the iMovie webpage going to be updated?

I'm not in St Andrews at the moment, and I'd like to be able to watch the videos people have made.
Thackary

Re:

Postby Lenana on Tue May 11, 2004 10:29 am

[s]random wrote on 10:58, 11th May 2004:

Running guys: I'd love to know how you folks got the ultra-smooth side-camera shots of the guys running along? That was great camera work.

I assume that it was filmed from a car driving alongside the guys- they were running along a footpath.

Did anybody catch 'Love Factually' in Venue 1 by any chance? I thought this one was really well put together and perhaps deserved to make the cut. Well done to all involved there.

I totally agree. It rocked.
Lenana

Re:

Postby random on Tue May 11, 2004 10:34 am

[s]Lenana wrote on 11:29, 11th May 2004:

I assume that it was filmed from a car driving alongside the guys- they were running along a footpath.

They were running along the Old Course at one stage weren't they? I'm pretty sure they were running along some green, lumpy section at one stage anyway. Perhaps they used a golf-cart. That still wouldn't explain the smoothness of the shot though. A golf-cart running along a golf-course is about as smooth as Mr. Bean...

Edited cause of annoying italics mucking up on me...
random

Re:

Postby AR on Tue May 11, 2004 11:41 am

Yeah, is there going to be a website of all the movies this time?
"Well la de dah... la de dah"
--annie hall
AR

Re:

Postby Kimmie on Tue May 11, 2004 11:42 am

[s]Graham wrote on 07:13, 11th May 2004:
For me the Annoy Bill film and the kung fu one were the best by miles (much better than the hamster thing). I'm not too sure about the ordering on the night as I think there were a few shorts that were just one film? Anyway, I loved the halls and the one with the girl in the white dress too.

Good work guys!

Graham.

ps - what happened to Guantanamo Baywatch? Censorship?

I just watched Guantanamo Baywatch and I think it might not have been shown due to having more than 10% of footage not shot during the week. Unless of course the people that made it took those photos during the week but I'm slightly doubtful.

[hr]
I don't mind what happens now and then, as long as you'll be my friend at the end.
I don't mind what happens now and then, as long as you'll be my friend at the end.
Kimmie

iMusic Video?

Postby TonyMurray on Tue May 11, 2004 11:59 am

Kimmie - I think you may be correct regarding the 10 per cent rule which we didn't notice until after we'd handed it in.

If this was the case though, the people running the competition should have told us, rather than have us paying to come along and watch a series of well made but ultimately dull iMusic Videos (except that one with the sword - that was very powerful).

Although some of the finalists were well made, the lack of dialogue in the final really bored me (except that one with the sword - that was really powerful).

Anyway, team 35 hope you enjoyed our little attempt and lets hope next year the films actually have scripts and some lines that people will be able to remember (except of course if the scripts are like that far too serious sword massacre rubbish - though it was very powerful).
"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

Jack London
TonyMurray

Re:

Postby fluttery_by on Tue May 11, 2004 12:17 pm

Only one mention for Sword in the sand?, I'm not saying it was the best film but it did win the prize for most dramatic, so, what did people think of it (incase you can't remember it was the film that started with the guy doing a big spiel and then some swordplay and then ended with dead people) as I know some of the people in the film and they would like some feedback, Thanks!

[hr]...everyone is a devil at heart
...everyone is a devil at heart
fluttery_by

Re:

Postby Tyler Fincher on Tue May 11, 2004 12:31 pm

I did love the sword in the sand. Superbly acted, with brilliant swordplay with some great camerawork. The only problem I have with it is that the AC hum dropped out towards the end leaving an awkward silence before the it came back again for the next piece of dialogue. Other than that minor point, the film was fantastic.
Tyler Fincher

Re:

Postby Odysseus on Tue May 11, 2004 12:33 pm

[s]Aldous wrote on 10:13, 11th May 2004:
Some might argue that 4 years in 5 minutes got bigger laughs than 'Annoy Bill'. - was it really only five minutes long...?

But I do think it was great and should have been in top three.

Aldous, "Straight to Video" (Annoy Bill, The Halls, Full Moon of the Jade Monkey Part 3) is 5 Minutes to the frame.
I thought that the Hamster film was funny, but nowhere near as good as 4 Years in 5 minutes, and that the Bully one was too sentimental and had... a complete lack of students.
Odysseus

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board