Home

TheSinner.net

Eurovision!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Setsuna on Sat May 15, 2004 10:47 pm

Ukraine - my absolute favourite - noone agreed but thats what eurovision is all about :D

Spain, Albania, Sweden, Germany and Serbia & Montenegro all really good too. Malta were rubbish for the first time EVER. And I am the only person I know that liked Poland?

#Sweeeeeeeet song
#laaaaaaaaaaaaav song

And I cant believe the Turkish singer was ginger. I was speechless with excitement. A ginger turkish man!! Hurrah!! MON THE GINGERS!

I really really really REALLY enjoyed it this year. I didnt think the wee vignettes were that good (i liked with when denmark did really novel flags a coupla years ago) as it was just the exact same as the visit turkey ads. Presenters were typically eurovision...

...but I have to say, the political voting this year was absolutely SUPERB. I bet the big 4 are kicking themselves for allowing all those Balkan states vote. Its also great that noone likes us anymore, that turkey and greece are finally being nice to one another. I predicted about 90% of the 8, 10 and 12 points. So proud.

Im so sad its over tho.

ROLL ON EUROVISION 2005 UKRAINE - How do I get tickets?!?

The excitement is dying down.

*sigh*
Setsuna

Re:

Postby Orion on Sat May 15, 2004 11:52 pm

the political voting, as has been said on this thread, was farcical.

most of the voting would have been written by wogan, as he said in his commentry eg. for monaco "hmm i wonder how france will do" france - douze points, and belarus - ukraine douze points "hmm i wonder is ukraine near belarus" the man is a legend

but for the ukraine dancers "xena warrior princess with whips and leather and whips..." as wogan put it, well it was a sexy dance and a fairly upbeat song i suppose, fair play to them, and dont forget the ukrainian presenter who was dealing out their votes and got lost in the excitement at the end.

russia - their presenter thought she was still in the cold war "at let us not forget that we are not in europe yet we are the biggest country voting tonight with the most people"

latvia - nice dig at the turkish regarding the football
Orion

Re:

Postby RichZ on Sat May 15, 2004 11:58 pm

and OMG - WTF was the woman (host) wearing!?! It was awful! Would have been quite so bad it didn't show her tummy! Yuck! And one judge person, dude actually complimented her on it - although I think he MUST have been taking the piss!
RichZ

Re:

Postby Valen_gr on Sun May 16, 2004 12:35 am

The Balkans Strike Back.....

Hehehehehee!!

Nice to see also, how immigrants/students in each country affected the voting :

UK : 12 points Greece ==> About 40,000 Greek students in UK,,,

Greece : 10 points albania ==> about one million albanians in Greece

Germany : points to turkey ==> millions of turks in germany

etc etc.....

oh and the strippers on the Greek song rocked....

[hr]Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe....
[i:3qoywpzu]Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe....[/i:3qoywpzu]
Valen_gr

Re:

Postby Sleigh on Sun May 16, 2004 9:01 am

[s]grousefanatic wrote on 22:53, 15th May 2004:
[s]Paranoid wrote on 22:14, 15th May 2004:[i]
Terry Wogan rocks! I think he should get far more commentating jobs in future (with a bottle of vino on ice of course!), once a year isnt enough for his witty comments!

Long live the Togmeister!
[/i]
Surely it's Wogmeister. Wog as in Wogan rather than wog of course.
[hr]
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.
Sleigh

Re:

Postby Cain on Sun May 16, 2004 9:20 am

[s]Sleigh wrote on 10:01, 16th May 2004:
Surely it's Wogmeister. Wog as in Wogan rather than wog of course.

Togmeister as in the old geezer, as he calls his legions of fans.

[hr]
I will diminish, and go into fourth year, and remain Cain
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Sleigh on Sun May 16, 2004 9:32 am

Ah well, maybe it's just me that calls him the Wogmeister then.

[hr]Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.
Sleigh

Re:

Postby Ewan MacDonald on Sun May 16, 2004 9:43 am

Ah, Eurovision, the one night of the year when we realise what music the rest of europe has to put up with. I loved the Swedish bloke who just looked like he was taking the piss, and the Latvian dude. However, to be honest, it was only worth watching for two things. 1.) To discover the current state of European relations, Yeah, we are ot as hated as last year. 2.) The magnificent terry Wogan. The only thing that makes the show even alcoholically watchable is his collection of offensive and entertaining comments.

[hr]In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.
Oscar Wilde, The Importance of being Earnest (III)
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
Edmund Burke
Ewan MacDonald

Re:

Postby Quentinfetishwoman on Sun May 16, 2004 10:24 am

Does anyone remeber that overly gay act? I think it was Bosnia or something. We were in stitches! It was just trying to be so overly camp. Personally, I liked the Zena-type act. Oh and the one where the girls and the guy got their kit off near the end. Very amusing.

[hr]"Horror by definition is the emotion of pure revulsion. Terror by the same standard is that of fearful anticipation"-Dario Argento
"Horror by definition is the emotion of pure revulsion. Terror by the same standard is that of fearful anticipation"-Dario Argento
Quentinfetishwoman

Re:

Postby thePontificator on Sun May 16, 2004 10:24 am

I felt the Icelandic guy's pain.

And Bosnia so should have won it.
thePontificator

Re:

Postby tintin on Sun May 16, 2004 10:28 am

Sweden was the best - or was it just because of the lady who sang it?!
tintin

Re:

Postby addiction on Sun May 16, 2004 10:46 am

i heard our very own james fox got together with the swedish girl at the after party. lucky bastard.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
addiction

Re:

Postby Mister Frodo on Sun May 16, 2004 11:06 am

[s]Orion wrote on 00:52, 16th May 2004:

russia - their presenter thought she was still in the cold war "at let us not forget that we are not in europe yet we are the biggest country voting tonight with the most people"

Hold on a minute....the Cold War's over!? You would never have thought so the way those former Eastern Bloc countries voted. My guess is that the contest is going to be in Eastern Europe for the foreseeable future, unless the voting system is changed. But where's the fun in that!
My particular favourite was the drunken serenade of Mr Iceland, he really should have done better.
Mister Frodo

Ahhh... the visions.

Postby Aureliano on Sun May 16, 2004 11:30 am

Hmmm... yes. A good solid year, but not vintage material; nothing terribly and deliciously shocking. Let's see, here are some of my highlights from the evening:

France: So, we have your average francophone ballad. Now what can we possibly add to this to make it more exciting? I know! A bald lady on stilts.

Live coverage of the party in Istanbul: With no visible celebration in the background, and her being completely oblivious to being on air, all that was lacking was for the middle-aged reporter to start picking her nose.

Swedish presenter: "We here in Sweden love the Eurovision so much, that it hurts!" We were rolling on the floor, laughing our heads off at this point.

Until this time last year, I've been watching the Eurovisions in foreign countries, usually with very little commentary going on. Yes, I've been watching it sans the Woganage. And although the insanity of the contest holds up on its own, in the past year I've developed something of an appreciation. As it's been said before, the man is a genius. :)

So the Ukraine definitely deserved to win, Xena all the way. The Swedish bird was quite hot. Turkey's ska act gave a very decent performance. Serbia's ethnic song was slightly boring at points, but a good start for first-timer Serbia. So I'm quite happy with the top 3.

And here's my quick view on political voting. Who cares? It's hardly a force that threatens to tear the contest apart, as many critics say. And as far as the UK is concerned: get over it. If the UK actually had any significant neighbours as a continental landlocked country, the situation might be slightly different. Iraq this, iraq that. Bla bla bla. 'Just goes to show that nobody loves us'. Bla bla bla. I don't see many countries giving Spain sympathy points for the Madrid bombings. Yes, politics plays a small part and significant part in popularity and voting, but those in the UK who actually take offence to political voting should try to get past their Anglocentrism. Fox was boring, and Jemini deserved their 'nul points'.

"Those bloody Europeans and their political voting. Europe likes this, europe likes that. Let's show them some real talent, as opposed to this eurotrash." Either have fun competing as a European nation, or bugger off and don't bother entering. Nuff said.
Aureliano

Re:

Postby Anon. on Sun May 16, 2004 11:46 am

[s]Setsuna wrote on 23:47, 15th May 2004:
And I am the only person I know that liked Poland?

No! I did.

(holds nose and sings) Every day - I feel I need somebody...
Anon.

Re:

Postby Anon. on Sun May 16, 2004 1:57 pm

The Albanian entry was legendary. I can't get it out of my head.
Anon.

Re:

Postby Ashley on Sun May 16, 2004 2:42 pm

Point just discovered: that James Fox guy didn't do too great but apparently the Cyprus singer was actually British anyway, so take heart.

From what I saw, Bosnia's entry was the funniest...
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun May 16, 2004 3:11 pm

[s]Orion wrote on 00:52, 16th May 2004:
the political voting, as has been said on this thread, was farcical.

And people are surprised about this why exactly?! It's what Eurovision is all about! Or are there some people who think it is a competition to show off the country's sterling quality music ;)

FRANCE AND THE GORGEOUS BALD LADY!!!

Postby antoine deconne on Sun May 16, 2004 3:11 pm

I loved France! HURRAY JONATAN CERRADA!

I liked HOLLAND TOO! (the guy singing "without you" and the Italian guitarist!!!)
antoine deconne

Re:

Postby hmm on Sun May 16, 2004 3:11 pm

[s]Paranoid wrote on 20:46, 15th May 2004:
Sweden's entry lyric: "its not easy to remember, but even harder to forget..."

Does that actually make any coherent sense? It might just be me but thats not even a contradiction, its just two different sentences strung together from two different contexts!

Hmmm.. has it occured to you that English is not the main language of ANY of the other European countries. That in fact, French is (was?) the official language of the EU. That before you are in any position to criticize the Swedish team's lyrics, you would really need to write some coherent song lyrincs in fluent Swedish yourself.

It is actually hugely self-centered that we expect all of Europe to conform to our language, and so rude that we would then criticize them for failing to do it perfectly. Why not have the contest in the host country's language every year, with subtitles for the rest? I am not sure, but there might be a link between Britian's superior attitude toward other European nations and the fact that we don't get any votes, even when our song is half decent and our singers are on key.
hmm

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board