Home

TheSinner.net

Has the exam paper resource crashed?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Has the exam paper resource crashed?

Postby Rennie on Sun May 16, 2004 9:56 am

Is it just my computer, or can I not get exams online? Argh!
Rennie

Re:

Postby Happy-Go-Lucky on Sun May 16, 2004 10:31 am

Yes. It's buggered. Fine time for it to go: just before exams. And it's been time for some while, so IT Services have had plenty of time to fix it. Although, if nobody's informed them about it, they won't know. Luckily it doesn't bother me because I printed off all my past papers at the beginning of the semester.

[hr]"I would lay down my life for at least 2 brothers, or 8 first cousins"
-Haldane
Happy-Go-Lucky

Re:

Postby tintin on Sun May 16, 2004 10:32 am

Perhaps every Sinner user should bombard them with emails until they fix it.
tintin

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Sun May 16, 2004 10:39 am

[s]Happy-Go-Lucky wrote on 11:31, 16th May 2004:
Yes. It's buggered. Fine time for it to go: just before exams. And it's been time for some while, so IT Services have had plenty of time to fix it. Although, if nobody's informed them about it, they won't know. Luckily it doesn't bother me because I printed off all my past papers at the beginning of the semester.

It can't get fixed until Monday because ITS don't and can't work weekends. This fact has cropped up quite a few times.
Pussycat

Re:

Postby Midget on Sun May 16, 2004 1:01 pm

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Actually I don't mind too much, but its still a bugger as I have an exam tommorrow morning and seeing some past papers wouldn't half help put me at ease.
Midget

Re:

Postby Sabre13 on Sun May 16, 2004 1:23 pm

Yet another sad example of the terrible way things are run.

Why take the hard copies of the past papers out of the library? so people will start conforming to using the universitys 'fine' new online system....? or just because we apparently didnt need them?
How they can justify this with the on going and repeated problems and down time of various things on the university network is beyond me.
Sabre13

Re:

Postby Slash wannabe on Sun May 16, 2004 2:54 pm

Like i said its shit and the fact that its died near exam time shows it is in severe need of fixing.

[hr]IMAGE:www.queensofthestoneage.com/images/logo_qotsa.gif
IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/images/slashlogo.gif
[i:3tscad2j]One step from lashing out at you again[/i:3tscad2j]
Slash wannabe

Re:

Postby Sleigh on Sun May 16, 2004 3:08 pm

Well it probably crashed at exam time because that's the only time anyone looks at it. Still a bit of a bastard though.

[hr]Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.
Sleigh

Re:

Postby Sabre13 on Sun May 16, 2004 3:17 pm

It came as no great shock to me that demand for past papers increased during our exam revision period. It seems unlikely that IT services couldnt predict this too.
Sabre13

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Sun May 16, 2004 3:27 pm

ITS cannot fix it because it is the weekend. If this was through the week it would have been fixed asap. Overall in the time I have been at uni this year has had the most reliable RESNet service.

It wasn't ITS who took away the past papers from the library. It's no more ITS's fault that past papers are completely unavailable than it is the computer science department's fault (they intially set up the system).

Whoever took the hard copies of the past papers away is a nutjob because now when the resource does go down it isn't just a slight inconvenience for some who have to walk to the library but a nightmare for those who didn't download the past papers to their HD.
Pussycat

Re:

Postby Sleigh on Sun May 16, 2004 3:27 pm

That's awfully hopeful when speaking about ITS.

[hr]Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.
Sleigh

Re:

Postby tintin on Sun May 16, 2004 3:33 pm

ITS are quite simply a bunch of losers.

And what irritates me when I do online payments to the University using their "World Pay" system is that it asks you what country your University address is in and what your Zip Code is for this address. Typical that they couldn't get a British system but had to go for an American one instead. Is there something wrong with ours? Or was it another quick-fix solution?
tintin

Re:

Postby Cain on Sun May 16, 2004 3:51 pm

[s]tintin wrote on 16:33, 16th May 2004:
ITS are quite simply a bunch of losers.

And what irritates me when I do online payments to the University using their "World Pay" system is that it asks you what country your University address is in and what your Zip Code is for this address. Typical that they couldn't get a British system but had to go for an American one instead. Is there something wrong with ours? Or was it another quick-fix solution?

um... isn't world pay a global standard, and used by most decent and reputable online stores?

I would prefer St Andrews to use a program that is supported and recognised by top traders for its security than to pick one solely on its britishness.

And ITS aren't losers - they do the best they can considering the crap that they get dealt. Every time i've turned to ITS for help with problems, they've sorted me out in a timely manner and with a solution that works.

[hr]
I will diminish, and go into fourth year, and remain Cain
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Sun May 16, 2004 5:19 pm

I hardly think that the country of origin is a good basis for the purchase of a product :S

Taking away the hard copies - that was just silly.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun May 16, 2004 9:06 pm

ITS seem to get blamed for an awful lot of stuff that isn't their fault! Other departments are mostly to blame but to be honest if you want to blame someone blame the university. It's no one department's fault if they are understaffed or underfunded.

I've always found the ITS people to be very helpful, and considering how small their department is for a university of this size i think they do a good job.

RESnet has been far more reliable this year and yet still people complain that it is the worst ever. There's no pleasing people who just want to moan.

Re:

Postby Sabre13 on Sun May 16, 2004 11:07 pm

I wasnt pointig fingers at ITs in particular (although I do think the reliability and scope of services they provide is pretty poor, whether this is down to being undermanned/equipped or what) I was pointing out the problem with the situation in general, somebody somewhere surely overlooks this sort of stuff.
Sabre13

Return to The Sinner's Main Board