Home

TheSinner.net

Another Hollywood Movie

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Another Hollywood Movie

Postby Joesta on Wed May 19, 2004 6:25 pm

http://www.adaywithoutamexican.com

I think that the US film industries lack of ideas has started to show.
Joesta

Re:

Postby legohead on Wed May 19, 2004 6:42 pm

I think its a pretty clever way of trying to get the Californians to notice the appaling standard of living that the immigrants have. It might not do so well over here, since a day without Mexicans in st andrews would be like a day without that random hairdressers up stairs in south street; you probably wouldnt notice that much (this is not a slur, I just havent met anyone from Mexico here yet.) wonder if they'll show it in the NPH?
This is for all those headless acrobats
faces crushed in the circus dust
all in the name of gravity
and the price of admission
legohead

Re:

Postby Chain Mailer on Wed May 19, 2004 7:27 pm

You are joking right? This isnt actually a film!?! Dear gods! I think I'm going to be ill!

[hr]
It's not me! Why does everyone always think its personnal!
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious
Chain Mailer

Not too shabby, they say

Postby a thinking guy on Thu May 20, 2004 5:31 am

I looked at some reviews for this from Calif. papers, and it looks like a pretty sharp satire of California's bad treatment of people they completely need. The maker is of Mexican descent I believe.

For example, one joke revolves around the fact that many non-Latino Americans can't tell the difference between a Mexican, a Guatamalan, and a Nicaraguan.

Anyway, it doesn't look too dumb.

John
a thinking guy

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu May 20, 2004 8:22 am

a day without a mexican actually sounds like quite a good film, with a sound idea behind it.

starship troopers 2 on the other hand...

[hr]
I will diminish, and go into fourth year, and remain Cain
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Jonny_G on Thu May 20, 2004 10:30 am

[s]Cain wrote on 09:22, 20th May 2004:

Starship troopers is one of the very few films I've had to stop watching after only about 20mins because it was so truly truly awful.
Jonny_G

Re:

Postby Campbell on Thu May 20, 2004 11:28 am

[s]Jonny_G wrote on 11:30, 20th May 2004:
[s]Cain wrote on 09:22, 20th May 2004:[i]

Starship troopers is one of the very few films I've had to stop watching after only about 20mins because it was so truly truly awful.
[/i]

i can lend you the golden child if you want to top that...
Campbell

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu May 20, 2004 11:43 am

[s]Jonny_G wrote on 11:30, 20th May 2004:

i watched it all the way through, but my god. it's a sad state of affairs when you watch 2 films in one night, and the Steven Seagal one is better by far (under siege 2, the one with the train and the satellite that fires a laser that causes earthquakes, but is used to destroy a plane).

Amazingly, Starship troopers is hailed by many as a brilliant and intelligent anti war film, when it's actually a very long 129 min of people being dismembered in different ways.

The only film i've walked out on recently was A:I because i felt an irresistiblke urge to stab that kid with a broken glass every time he was on screen.

[hr]
I will diminish, and go into fourth year, and remain Cain
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Return to The Sinner's Main Board