Home

TheSinner.net

Tesco

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Tesco

Postby Bread Roll on Mon May 24, 2004 1:17 pm

Is it just me or is the older woman with the stick who works in Tesco one of the MOST rude and horrible people in St Andrews (with the obvious exception of the idiot in the Golf on North Street on Saturday who REVERSED through a red light at the lights outside the library and nearly killed me)? Every time she serves me when I'm spending a quid or whatever (it wouldn't matter if it was a million quid - i wish) on my Switch she slams the slip for me to sign down on the signing thing and NEVER says please or thanks or even hello. Its just common courtesy.

I mean MAAAAAAAAAAAAN, I'm just trying to enjoy my last week here before the inevitable 'most boring summer holiday ever' begins.

Grrrrr.

Anyway.... Enjoy your revision/drunkness people.
Bread Roll

Re:

Postby moonshine boy on Mon May 24, 2004 1:23 pm

Every time she serves me when I'm spending 50p or whatever on my credit card she slams the slip for me to sign down on the signing thing aaaaaaah!

Mybe shes just annoyed at the amount your spending on your credit card

or the fact that she isnt getting any
moonshine boy

Re:

Postby helen b on Mon May 24, 2004 2:09 pm

I was in the other day and she was talking to her friend on the next check out whilst she was serving me (how rude - at least credit me with your full attention) and she said, "They're all off next week aren't they" friend said, "yes - already they get about 4 months off dont they" and sticky lady said "hmmphh" then proceeded to slam down said credit card slip even though I was spending about £7.00 or somethign which is a perfectly respectable amount. Grrrr how rude. I mean if people didnt bother shopping there she wouldn't even have a job. And lets face it she probably only has one because she is filling in their special needs quota beacuse she a sticky thingy. Sorry about the rant, but rude people annoy me.
helen b

Re:

Postby Pinky but Perky on Mon May 24, 2004 2:41 pm

i get served by that lady but shes always nice to me...its Tesco's grapes I have the vendetta with....

[hr]
the knack is finding a grape that actually looks edible....damn you Tesco!
Pinky but Perky

Re:

Postby mossop on Mon May 24, 2004 2:44 pm

[s]Pinky but Perky wrote on 15:41, 24th May 2004:
i get served by that lady but shes always nice to me...its Tesco's grapes I have the vendetta with....

[hr]

Is that the ones with the free black widow spider in every pack?
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a crate. Coincidence? I think not.
mossop

Re:

Postby loretta on Mon May 24, 2004 2:54 pm

Yes..I've had several encouters with that particular Tesco lady. On one instance she was criticising students to the older lady she was serving in front of me, and looking at me pointedly.. Its actually quite amusing. Maybe she is just bitter that we all got to go to University and she is stuck behind the counter.
'The English like eccentrics, they just don't like them living next door.'
loretta

Re:

Postby Pinky but Perky on Mon May 24, 2004 3:06 pm

no....as the name implies...i bought a nice bag of grapes and when i got them home i discovered that they were all foustie and squidgy and, well, i just couldn't look at them let alone eat them

[hr]
Pinky but Perky

Re:

Postby tintin on Mon May 24, 2004 3:11 pm

I heard her telling someone she's worked there for thirty years or something (didn't know it had been there for that long) and now she's on half-time instead of full-time. And yes, I think it depends on her mood.

But there is no excuse for talking about students like that. If we weren't here, half the businesses in town would not function. That is what really annoys me about some of the shopkeepers like that - our money is just as good as anyone else's.
tintin

Re:

Postby LC on Mon May 24, 2004 3:17 pm

I dont really care how friendly or unfriendly the tescos staff are when serving me, what influences my opinion of the interaction is whether or not the serving person has half an hours friendly banter with the person in front of me in the queue.

Also, if i were paying for something valued at 50p with a credit card, I would probably appologise myself. Lots of places wouldnt let you do that at all (for any amount under a fiver isnt it?) I wouldnt get unduly stressed if they dont cheerily thankyou for your plastic offering.

EDIT- has anyone noticed the girl who works there, fairly tall, straight brown hair. She's pretty hot.
LC

Re:

Postby surfingsimon on Mon May 24, 2004 3:24 pm

evil woman is horrid! she reminds me of the wicked witch of the west in the wizard of oz
surfingsimon

Re:

Postby tintin on Mon May 24, 2004 3:25 pm

Yes, I have, though rather embarrassing incident the other day when my card was declined and she had to keep the dshopping under the till for me "till" I got some cash...
tintin

Re:

Postby n01 on Mon May 24, 2004 3:35 pm

Actually, I don't think we have much choice in shopping there. She's a pissed off old hag who wishes she was our age again. Don't go in her line if she pisses you off. Myself, I think I'll go through her line everytime I see her just to spite her. I'll use my debit card EACH time...
n01

Re:

Postby S.P.I.G on Mon May 24, 2004 5:40 pm

She's harmless enough. What pisses me off is the checkout staff chatting complete and utter bollocks to each other constantly. But what really pisses me off is the constant stream of people who insist on going into Tesco's at 11pm and trying to buy alcohol - especially the ones who see that the wine aisle is blocked off so just grab a bottle of wine from one of the promotional displays since, presumably in their tiny minds,it doesn't count as alcohol as it isn't in the alcohol aisle. The Licensing (Scotland) Act 1976 has been around for 28 years and still no-one seems to have learnt that you can't buy alcohol after 10pm, any day of the week, or before 12pm on a Sunday.
S.P.I.G

Re:

Postby Odysseus on Mon May 24, 2004 8:53 pm

If slagging off Tesco's workers for the cut of their jib is the highlight of your day, you really need to take a look at yourself. For all you know, they could have been working for the past several Hours solid, so are knackered and are understandibly in the best of moods, so why not leave them be? Indeed, if the tone/facial expressions of a clerk behind a til offend you greatly, try living in the real world where minor things like that really aren't worth bothering about.
Walk into the bright lights of sorrow, oh drink a bit of wine and we both might go tommorow, my love...
Odysseus

Re:

Postby amac on Mon May 24, 2004 9:08 pm

[s]dunqn wrote on 19:27, 24th May 2004:(that guy with the earring - could he be any slower?)

I totally agree with that. Can't say theres anyone else in particular that pisses me off.
amac

Re:

Postby Slash wannabe on Mon May 24, 2004 9:17 pm

I've never seen the old woman being particularly annoying. She did try and ID my mate for a 2 litre bottle of ginger beer though.

I think its made up by the hot checkout girls. ;)

[hr]IMAGE:www.queensofthestoneage.com/images/logo_qotsa.gif
IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/images/slashlogo.gif
[i:3tscad2j]One step from lashing out at you again[/i:3tscad2j]
Slash wannabe

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Mon May 24, 2004 9:23 pm

[s]Slash wannabe wrote on 22:17, 24th May 2004:

I think its made up by the hot checkout girls. ;)

[hr]IMAGE:www.queensofthestoneage.com/images/logo_qotsa.gif

what the ones with seriously bad tooth decay?

[hr]
Mohawk

http://www.livejournal.com/~grahamecase/
Mohawk

Re:

Postby iohannes on Mon May 24, 2004 9:57 pm

I have never had any of the staff in Tesco be rude to me. My only complaint is that I wish they would open more checkouts when there are enormous queues. Didn't Tesco used to have a gimmick that they'd open another till? However, even in that respect they are getting better. And there are some very hot girls that work there. Got served by one today too. Rachel or Rebecca I think she was called. Tesco staff are nicer than staff at Safeway.

[hr]http://www.crumble.org
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
iohannes

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Mon May 24, 2004 10:52 pm

[s]dunqn wrote on 19:27, 24th May 2004:
Couldn't agree more. Tesco needs to fire half the people that work there. They're gormless, rude timewasters. Really. I've worked in 2 supermarkets (Sainsburys, co-op) before, how in the name of god these people got hired is beyond me. At new year, I made a resolution to "look at everyone in a good light". That rude, dirty old woman with the stick broke my resolution. Argh. Put a fucking smile on your face, for christ's sake.

I agree completely. No need to take it out on us, if we decided all to shop at safeway, they'd be back on the dole, where, to be honest, most of them would rather be (typical St Andrews student view, no doubt!). And they do still have that thing about opening a checkout if there is more than one person in front of you - well at least there is a poster saying they will.

[hr]
http://www.savetheworld.co.uk - help stuff, win stuff.
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby Cloud on Mon May 24, 2004 11:12 pm

[s]Zombie Sheep wrote on 23:52, 24th May 2004:
And they do still have that thing about opening a checkout if there is more than one person in front of you - well at least there is a poster saying they will.

[hr]
http://www.savetheworld.co.uk - help stuff, win stuff.

That is utter shite. The service in Tesco here is pathetic. Ive seen it really busy with huge queues and onlt 4 tills open, if it was 11pm at night Id see the point in not opening any more tills, but I'm talking like noon here! Shopping in Tescos infuriates me, all-night garage all the way!

[hr]
[s]I want your skulls[/s]
[s]I want your skulls[/s]
Cloud

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board