Home

TheSinner.net

Love?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Love?

Postby Guest on Thu May 27, 2004 12:03 am

How do you know when you're in love, or when somebody loves you?

Re:

Postby mia_bt on Thu May 27, 2004 1:38 am

if your in love you know it and dont need to ask! you cant stop the feeling even for a minute all you want to do/ think about/ see is them, if your properly in love you will know
mia_bt

Re:

Postby Orion on Thu May 27, 2004 2:58 am

love... love changes everything, brings you glory, brings you shame

nothing in the world will ever be the same.

or, it could be said that

love... love will tear us apart... again.
Orion

Deleted

Postby CarolynSD on Thu May 27, 2004 7:42 am

This post has been deleted.
Last edited by CarolynSD on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarolynSD

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu May 27, 2004 6:48 pm

[s]CarolynSD wrote on 08:42, 27th May 2004:
love means nothing. It is used to cover a variety of feelings. If you feel strongly for them, take it at face value. If you cannot be away from them without pain, you are emotionally attached/dependent (in a way that I find undesirable). If they make you happy when you are around them or make your life seem better when around them, then you appreciate them. It is much simpler if you forget the word love, try to understand what you feel, and then use the word love only as needed in conversation (personal or otherwise).
[hr]"You gotta go on." Violent Femmes

Love is the best thing in the world. And it's not for cynics - they don't appreciate it as they've obviously never had it. Hence the cynicism.

Re:

Postby franklyscallop on Thu May 27, 2004 6:57 pm

A cynic is a frustrated romantic. That's why romantic heroes are cynical . . and why they get the girl:) [or vise versa]

[hr]'And I just wanna beeeeee ALIVE'
franklyscallop

Re:

Postby Anon. on Thu May 27, 2004 10:12 pm

I've never been in love, but I would imagine that however wonderful it might be, it would also be extremely inconvenient.
Anon.

Re:

Postby David Bean on Thu May 27, 2004 11:08 pm

Carolyn wasn't being cynical nor even especially unromantic - she was merely disassociating herself from a term she believed to be nebulous and unhelpful. I don't happen to agree with her, as I think that the word 'love' as used conversationally has a lot of value in describing one's feelings for another, but I think she makes a jolly good case.

Also, I don't see why love should necessarily be inconvenient; certainly it has the potential to be thus, but I, for one, have found it to be quite the reverse. It all depends on the circumstances.
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Deleted

Postby CarolynSD on Thu May 27, 2004 11:38 pm

Last edited by CarolynSD on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarolynSD

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri May 28, 2004 12:09 am

I am going to spill my heart here, so anyone not wanting a sob story look away now.

I recently split up with my girlfriend of 1 1/2 years. I split up with her because I thought I wasn't in love with her anymore. Recently I have a lot of time to think and I realised that I didn't know what love was, so how could I know I wasn't in love with a girl? I began to realise that it wasn't the girl I was in love with, but the feeling of hugging, sharing emotions, and quality time. The problem, as I have now come to realise, was that this feeling could be recreated by any suitably kind hearted girl. Now if any person could create this feeling then I doubt it is what most people would call love. I therefore feel that I don't know what love is, and won't do until I find a girl who makes all of the feelings above happen whilst, at the same time, i'd know that no-one else could match those feelings.

Now I know a lot of people have strong ideas about what love is, but I think it would be wrong for anyone who hasn't been in a long relationship to comment. Solely for the reason that, I have thought I was in love, only to have my mind changed.

I think love is inexplicable purely for the reason that everyone must feel love in different ways.

P.S.

Reading this back it sounds like I feel that spliting up with my g/f was a mistake. Although I was so happy, and everything seemed perfect there was that something lacking as explained above. I still get feelings of what I thought were love about this girl, but have come realise that until I know what love is, I will never know if these feelings are genuine, and it is only fair to stay apart for her sake.

[hr]Management: The art of writing like you know what you're talking about and making others believe it.

(munchingfoo comprehensive dictionary)

My website:
http://aa.domaindlx.com/munchingfoo/
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Fri May 28, 2004 12:16 am

I speak only from my own experience, of course, but you know. You may not be able to explain or articulate it, but you know.

Which may not be hugely helpful.

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Deleted

Postby CarolynSD on Fri May 28, 2004 8:47 am

Last edited by CarolynSD on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarolynSD

cheesy shit quote which may help.

Postby cockjockey on Fri May 28, 2004 12:25 pm

Love is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being in love which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident
cockjockey

Re:

Postby Wong on Fri May 28, 2004 12:29 pm

Nice quote, but the chances of it being taken seriously were diminished by it being quoted by someone called "cockjockey".

[hr]You would not feel sadness if you never tasted joy
That's the curse of humans - born in passion, you destroy
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Re:

Postby Marco Biagi on Fri May 28, 2004 4:01 pm

[s]Anon. wrote on 23:12, 27th May 2004:
I've never been in love, but I would imagine that however wonderful it might be, it would also be [i]extremely
inconvenient.
[/i]

Oh believe me, inconvenient doesn't even begin to describe it.

[hr]
My life can be divided in two: the times I wish I could sing and the times my neighbours do.
Marco Biagi

Re:

Postby katiem on Fri May 28, 2004 6:20 pm

[s]Marco Biagi wrote on 17:01, 28th May 2004:
[s]Anon. wrote on 23:12, 27th May 2004:[i]
I've never been in love, but I would imagine that however wonderful it might be, it would also be [i]extremely
inconvenient.
[/i]

Oh believe me, inconvenient doesn't even begin to describe it.
[/i]

So true.
katiem

Re:

Postby wearing just socks and a phone on Sat May 29, 2004 2:09 pm

Reading over munchingfoo's post sounds strangely familiar, except with me in the role of his girlfriend (don't worry though, i'm not your ex)

it sucks when that happens - when you love somebody and feel good about yourself because of it and they just see you as somebody who gives them hugs and is nice to have around.

my self esteem just took a fatal blow. not good.
wearing just socks and a phone

Re:

Postby Tinlegs the elder on Sun May 30, 2004 3:57 pm

Love to me is realising that you can't live with out that one special person and proposing to them at the hall ball and being ok with the fact that suddenly everyone wants to help organise the wedding even if it is in 4 years time. I think he must love me, cos he's prepared to wear a kilt on the day and survived the endless questioning from my friends at the engagement party on Friday night.

Thought I might make this a slightly happier thread..:)
Tinlegs
Tinlegs the elder

Since we're quoting...

Postby David Bean on Sun May 30, 2004 11:21 pm

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction of being loved for yourself, or, more correctly, being loved in spite of yourself"

- Victor Hugo
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby jennyo on Mon May 31, 2004 10:46 am

Here's mine then:

'I like not only to be loved, but to be told that I am loved. The realm of silence is large enough beyond the grave' - George Eliot

[hr]
We want the finest wines available to humanity. We want them here, and we want them now. -- Withnail and I
Do those under a risk of death by metor run some thus-far indefinite risk of longrun meteorisation?
- David Bean
jennyo

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board