Home

TheSinner.net

Love?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:53 pm

I love cheese!
Does that dount?

[hr]I love cheese.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby iohannes on Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:02 am

Does what dount?

[hr]That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
iohannes

Re:

Postby Manic23 on Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:50 am

[s]grousefanatic wrote on 17:20, 1st Jun 2004:
I like the way the Ancient Greeks had it. They had several different terms for love. I can't remember them all and the Internet has several different lists, but the common ones, Agape, Storge, Eros and Philia are used to describe different kinds of love.

Maybe we all have a different idea of what love is.

oh God, all my A Level religious ethics course...flooding back...aggghhh the pain

[hr]
IMAGE:www.lambhillboyz1.2004.freewebspace.com/images/tam001.jpg

best ned EVER
Manic23

Re:

Postby iohannes on Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:37 pm

Religions have ethics?

[hr]That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
iohannes

Re:

Postby Wong on Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:14 pm

[s]Unregisted User Chwistian wrote on 11:54, 7th Jun 2004:
ganz oder gar nicht, as the germans might say.

The Full Monty?

[hr]
You would not feel sadness if you never tasted joy
That's the curse of humans - born in passion, you destroy
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Re:

Postby David Bean on Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:02 pm

[s]iohannes wrote on 02:02, 8th Jun 2004:
Does what dount?

No, it don't.

[hr]
"And all the people rejoiced, and said: 'God save the King! Long live the King! ...May the King live forever!'" - Handel, 'Zadok the Priest'
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:59 am

[s]Wong wrote on 22:14, 8th Jun 2004:
[s]Unregisted User Chwistian wrote on 11:54, 7th Jun 2004:[i]
ganz oder gar nicht, as the germans might say.

The Full Monty?
[/i]

it literally means "all or nothing", but yes, that was the german title for the full monty.

not wanting to hijack the thread, so...

So long, you'll miss it when it's gone
You don't know what it is
You don't know what it is yeah

true, they weren't talking about love, but it still sums it up

[hr]
I will diminish, and go into fourth year, and remain Cain
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby confused on Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:32 pm

I dont know if I can fall in love.

I have been seeing this really great guy since November (academic brother!) and I like him a lot. He was on a major rebound from a serious relationship for the first few months, but I knew this so it wasnt a problem. We were always at each others places at night but didnt often see each other in the day. I found it particularly difficult to fit in with his very close group of friends (who are all still friends with his ex, though she graduated already). I think part of it is that I was 1st year and he was 3rd.

During his rebound stage we talked about getting close to people and he warned me not to fall in love with him because he only ends up hurting them. I know this is because he was still hurting from his break up, but it did cause me to keep my distance. Now, 6 months on I cant bring myself to give anything to him. I pretty much always wait for him to ring me and let him suggest going out (either alone or with him friends), but the couple of times I have asked him out with my friends he hasnt come. I know this is unfair on him, and he is putting all the effort into this thing, but I dont know how to change.

I dont know how he feels about he. I know he likes me and he e-mails me lots (he doesnt live in the UK), but if I let myself feel strongly about him then I am afraid of getting hurt. I know he doesnt feel as strongly about me as he did about his ex, which is OK I suppose...

Sorry this is so long, I just identified with munchingfoos original post - I think I am in the situation his gf was in - I am good for hugs and sharing problems with, but nothing more. So should I let myself feel strongly about him if he is just going to realise what munchingfoo did and let me go?
I dont even know if I can fall in love... I am too scared. Can anyone offer any help?
confused

Re:

Postby T.E. on Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:41 pm

wow, confused, almost exactly the same thing happened to me in first year.

It kind of sucked really because I had liked him a lot but didn't want to rush things, especially because I never thought he'd feel the same. Turns out, after our friends had guessed our feelings they said they'd suspected he did like me. Neither of us wanted to start something before he left but it was still painful when he left. It was only like a month before he left that the feelings between us were more open.

We remain good friends and talk online and stuff but the fact we were so 'almost' makes things complicated even as friends. I always wait for him to start conversations because I love being his friend but don't want him to think I am looking for anything more. If our paths were to cross further down the line then a more than friends thing would be nice but equally I am happy just to know him. (Admittedly, it took me a while to come to that conclusion!)

I know i haven't really been able to help, confused, but reading your post reassured me that other people go through this too.
T.E.

Re:

Postby S.P.I.G on Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:46 am

Viva la revolution!!!
S.P.I.G

Re:

Postby randypanthegoatboy on Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:23 am

Love is the drug, the drug, the drug,

Love is the drug, the drug, the drug

Love is the drug, the drug, the drug.

And so is chocolate
randypanthegoatboy

Re:

Postby confused on Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:55 pm

[s]Unregisted User T.E. wrote on 20:05, 8th Jul 2004:
wow, confused, almost exactly the same thing happened to me in first year.

I know i haven't really been able to help, confused, but reading your post reassured me that other people go through this too.

Thank you T.E. It's reassuring to know that the same thing happens to other people too - though doesnt really make it easier!

And you're probably right dunqn, right person, right time etc... it just is a bit difficult to think ahead sometimes.
confused

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board