Home

TheSinner.net

Fairly shameless political plug

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Fairly shameless political plug

Postby Marco Biagi on Fri May 28, 2004 4:14 pm

Okay, this is a new thread on the European Elections (June 10th) where I plug how I'm going to vote and then everyone else disagrees. Right now I'm a member of no political party (its staying that way) and am extremely cynical about parties in general, so I'm not partisan.

I'm voting Green.

This is even though I actually disagree with the Greens in their opposition to the Euro and some of their domestic policies such as the Citizen's Income.

Bluntly, 80% of environmental legislation affecting the UK is decided in the European Parliament. Similarly, MEPs roles focus on more international issues, where the records of the UK's two Green MEPs are unrivalled in supporting human rights and promoting fair trade. The two Green MEPs have also been ranked as #1 and #2 by an independent pressure group for being the cleanest members of the Parliament in terms of the much exploited MEP's expenses - and indeed leading a cross-party group aiming for reform. The Green Party is also sufficiently sceptical of the proposed European Constitution, while being international in outlook, to be able to cast a critical eye without succumbing to ideology.

On the candidate level, the lead Green candidate in Scotland is a charity worker whose past includes teaching English in post-conflict Bosnia, strongly suggesting that he is of the same type as the current MEPs. Personally I find this more appealing than the lawyers of the other political parties. Also, the proportional system means that the Greens stand an excellent chance of election.

Plug over.

Mr Comedy / David Bean / Stuart, Pilmour Boy, Iain, your turn...
Marco Biagi

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Fri May 28, 2004 8:55 pm

I see someones been reading the leaflets we've been getting through the door then. Anyone had a look at the BNP one? I really did have a good chuckle.
I think I shall vote SNP, for an independent scotland IN Europe!

[hr]http://www.savetheworld.co.uk - help stuff, win stuff.
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby Iain on Fri May 28, 2004 9:54 pm

A challenge, Marco?

I'm not going to say much for myself except I'm voting SNP. As the current holder of two polling cards (thanks St. Andrews) that's important!

Personally, the SNP can take Labour to the cleaners if we get a high turnout. We have more to offer in Europe than other parties. Representing Scotland only, it is vital, with Scotland's interests being different from the UK as a whole, to consider that rather than the "big three."
Equally, a vote for the Greens is not a wasted vote, (although in my biased opinion, not a terribly wise one) as environmental policy is high up the agenda in Europe and they will back Scotland all the way.

Enough, I'm off to enjoy my summer holidays. Damn it why do I have to live in Ross/Skye/Inverness West?!
Unwind: touch the brine; Take some bread: break some wine
I can see the water line; Red below the Lewis sun
Iain

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri May 28, 2004 10:20 pm

Surely it has to be Operation Christian Vote? For the most sensible political agenda in a long time. Oh, no, I'm sorry, I meant the most offensive agenda. Anyone else see their PPB? I found it even more offensive than the BNP (sanitised version), maybe because I'm in so many of the groups they'd see burned at the stake.

Still, it might amuse you to know there's a poll on their website asking if we think the EU constitution should recognise the Lordship of Christ over Europe - currently it stands at 66% no. Shame.

So, if not them, possibly the wind people? Too bad the Independent Working Class Association aren't standing here. (Yes, I'm wasting a Friday evening reading the info on the fringe party websites. Yes, I have too much free time.)

[hr]The world is full of stupid people. I say we get rid of all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby someone on Sat May 29, 2004 4:21 am

To be pefectly honest, folks, I may be voting Green this year as well.

While the Green party is not official in the United States (no matching funds), I may well be voting for Ralph Nader--- the reason being, if Ralph Nader manages to win 5% of the vote, then whichever party (I believe he's running with the Greens) he runs with will get Federal matching money and some official recognition.

As for y'all, vote minority party over here and perhaps they'll get some recognition back in the USA. Greens included in that.

Go Ralph!

[hr]
Disco Inferno.
someone

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Sat May 29, 2004 1:45 pm

Marco: ditto on the Greens in many ways, but I have a couple of friends on the Labour list so I'll probably end up voting (if I bother at all) for the rose.
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Sat May 29, 2004 1:48 pm

[s]someone wrote on 05:21, 29th May 2004:
To be pefectly honest, folks, I may be voting Green this year as well.

While the Green party is not official in the United States (no matching funds), I may well be voting for Ralph Nader--- the reason being, if Ralph Nader manages to win 5% of the vote, then whichever party (I believe he's running with the Greens) he runs with will get Federal matching money and some official recognition.

As for y'all, vote minority party over here and perhaps they'll get some recognition back in the USA. Greens included in that.

Go Ralph!

Nader is running on the Reform Party ticket.

Yeah, that's the same reform party that Ross Perot stood as the candidate for.
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby Ha f'ing Ha on Sat May 29, 2004 2:10 pm

Marco Biagi, sorry which is it SNP or Green... political loser perhaps?
Ha f'ing Ha

Re:

Postby hmm on Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:14 pm

Is the length of this thread perhaps an indication of how many people are actually going to bother voting?

There seems to be a huge lack of interest in the whole european election thing.
hmm

Re:

Postby amac on Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:58 pm

[s]Unregisted User hmm wrote on 11:37, 8th Jun 2004:
Is the length of this thread perhaps an indication of how many people are actually going to bother voting?

There seems to be a huge lack of interest in the whole european election thing.

I'm generally interested in politics but i couldn't care less about these elections. The main problem is that i haven't got a clue what any of these MEP's have done for me.. ever.

And if i know a lot about politics and think that, then what will everyone else think?

[hr]Look left! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I said left you retard
amac

Re:

Postby Homer on Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:13 pm

UKIP
UKIP
UKIP
UKIP
UKIP
Homer

Postby ever_nocturnal on Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:57 pm

Last edited by ever_nocturnal on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ever_nocturnal

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:33 pm

[s]Homer wrote on 17:13, 8th Jun 2004:
UKIP
UKIP
UKIP
UKIP
UKIP

Good plan, may follow suit myself.
though the BNP's slogan:

SAFE

"Stop Asylum For Ever"

couldn't stop laughing for at least a minute, but then through the tears saw them to be slightly racist. shame.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Stuart on Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:45 pm

[s]Tweedle-Dum wrote on 19:33, 9th Jun 2004:
[s]Homer wrote on 17:13, 8th Jun 2004:[i]
UKIP
UKIP
UKIP
UKIP
UKIP

Good plan, may follow suit myself.
[/i]

Don't you dare.
Stuart

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:59 pm

bumpety bump bump

if you haven't done so already - Vote Now
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby argh on Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:31 pm

[s]amac wrote on 15:58, 8th Jun 2004:
I'm generally interested in politics but i couldn't care less about these elections. The main problem is that i haven't got a clue what any of these MEP's have done for me.. ever.

And if i know a lot about politics and think that, then what will everyone else think?

If you knew a lot about politics then you would at least know about the parties policies. I hate the fact that no one bothers to vote because they don't know what the mep's do for them. Find out, there are party political broadcasts on almost every day, articles in the main broadsheets, programmes on the radio, a vast amount of information on the bbc and the official website.

No wonder the more distasteful parties stand a chance of getting in. Give it a few years and the european government will be ruled by the christian parties and the bnp.
argh

Re:

Postby Intolerant Bastard on Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:21 pm

Vote for the police state - vote for the Labour party.
Intolerant Bastard

Re:

Postby Ewan MacDonald on Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:22 pm

Everyone who has come accross my rantings on politics knows that while i make a pretence at being a fluffy liberal, I inevitably end up voting Tory, or beliieveing they are the best party. And to be fair I think out of the two parties who are going to govern the UK I would vote Tory.

But today I voted UKIP (waits for storm of condemnation.
But I have reasons.

1.) Yes UKIP is a single issue group, with no clear strategy, plan or concept of reality. But the one thing I can trust them to do as a voter is oppose the continuing encroachment of the EU. My personal opinion is that the EU has gone too far, and I felt I could trust the UKIP people if elected to support that position.
2.) The Conservatievs are forced by the necessity of looking like a government in waiting, and also due to their history in Europe rows, to a policy of moderation. It hasn't worked (the Tory's were the biggest British party in the EU parliament) and so I feel they will not support my Euro-sceptic beliefs.
3.) I hope that if other centre-right people vote as I have to will deliver a mesage to Michael Howard that he has to defat Labour on the important issues, such as cutting taxes (I just got my first salery cheque and was horrified at how much Mr Brown took). Potential Tory voters are sick of being ripped off by the governemtn, and I hope that this ekection, which at least in Scotland is a single issue election, will be enough to send the right message without destabilising the Tory Party.

Oh, and this isn't suposed to be a rant about the EU being right or wrong, but instead a set of reasons why I voted in an unusual manner.

One last thing, I hope everybody voted. If you haven't then you have no right to complain about the politicians who are elected, if you can't be arsed to take a two minute walk to the polling station, then you forfeit your right to complain as you have de facto excluded yourself from the democratic process.

[hr]In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.
Oscar Wilde, The Importance of being Earnest (III)
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
Edmund Burke
Ewan MacDonald

Re:

Postby Campbell on Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:27 pm

surely joining europe, whether it be sooner or later, is an inevitability?

i did vote, i have to say, though i did almost laugh out loud at some of the parties (BNP, Operation Christian etc etc)

ah dear
Campbell

Re:

Postby amac on Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:53 pm

[s]Unregisted User argh wrote on 16:10, 8th Jun 2004:
[s]amac wrote on 15:58, 8th Jun 2004:[i]

If you knew a lot about politics then you would at least know about the parties policies. I hate the fact that no one bothers to vote because they don't know what the mep's do for them. Find out, there are party political broadcasts on almost every day, articles in the main broadsheets, programmes on the radio, a vast amount of information on the bbc and the official website.

No wonder the more distasteful parties stand a chance of getting in. Give it a few years and the european government will be ruled by the christian parties and the bnp.
[/i]

I know the parties policies but most of them have nothing to do with Europe. Parties like UKIP and the Tories would be ultimately powerless to stop anything other than regulations on Bananas if they got elected in Europe. Its the British Government which will have the final say on issues like the EU constitution, and its the British government who negotiate over things like fishing quotas.

Most of the parties seem to be talking more about ideologies in the PPB's because they realise this and know they can't make any promises. UKIP wouldn't manage to do much damage even if they got elected.

And i probably would have voted if I was registered for home, but i'm registered in St Andrews and didn't bother trying to change it (after all, at the next elections i will be in St Andrews).

To be honest the pro-european parties need to get their act together and start showing the good things the EU does. When you only have one side arguing about it then public opionion is bound to sway (even if that side talk a lot of crap).

I can't believe so many people are voting for idiots like UKIP. I remember an election leaflet they had a couple of years ago. It had a dads army style invasion thing saying that we'd be speaking European soon if we weren't careful. Paranoid? Noooo..

To add to that one of their members denied the Holocaust and I don't think I need to elaborate on Robert Kilroy Silk. Patrick Moores another of their supporters that comes out with very Racist comments every now and again.

[hr]Look left! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I said left you retard
amac

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board