Home

TheSinner.net

Euro 2004

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby The Famous Philosopher on Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:59 pm

Holland all the way here, the Germans are rank. 2-0 Holland.

And while were on that group, weren't Latvia unlucky against the Czechs. I like to see the wee team do good and they did even if they lost.

[hr]Never buy a midget with learning difficulties, It's not big and it's not clever
The Famous Philosopher

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:07 pm

i vowed to count the times the word ENGLAND was said by John Motson in his commentary tonight, i have given up half way through the second half with over 30 mentions, and a few anecdotal ones of 1966

it really is rediculous, they can't get by without mentioning england, or some fact about england.

sounds like scotland aren't the ones qwith a chip on their shoulder.

[hr]
Mohawk

http://www.livejournal.com/~grahamecase/
Mohawk

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:29 pm

It really is a bit of a joke. Germany brought on some 19 year old, who looked a bit of a pop-star, and BBC were comparing him to Rooney pretty much whenever he got the ball!
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:37 pm

So I'm confused - did he look like a popstar or the missing link?

[hr]Ah, I hate how nothing changes. Such a peaceful Earth should just collapse...
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Voice of Harold on Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:00 pm

Wow, Holland were sh*te tonight. They didn't deserve a draw in the slightest. Makes it all the more embarresing that we got humped off them...

The number of England mentions was fantastically comic though.
Voice of Harold

Re:

Postby Setsuna on Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:40 pm

MON THE LAT-VEE-AH!

im pissed off at the germany holland draw, as i was due a fiver off my ex if germany won. Bastards.

Reasons I dont go for England
- im scottish and we go for the underdogs, and england are a no bad team
- commentators mention england every two seconds, even if its a completely england unrelated match
- you harbour jimmy hill as one of yr natives
- england fans are depicted as bald yobs with england tattoos (blame international and domestic media!!) who lower their voices by two octaves to sing (note: scottish fans sing better thanks to our high lung cancer and obesity rate - adds character)
- i am only marginally anti-english in sport because scotland are so crap and im jealous
- etc.etc.etc.

Altho I think it was good to go for france... cuz in the end you got the best deal.

Johannes, calm down petal. We arent really racist bigots who envy when a country do well. Its just banter. I think, in essence, its just a friendly rivalry. Its the same reason I hate St Mirren F.C., but I dont hate (all) people from Paisley. Rivalries make it a bit more fun, especially when scotland arent really playing; we have noone to support!!

I'm enjoying the tournament so far.

How about you lot?
Setsuna

Re:

Postby The Famous Philosopher on Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:54 am

[s]Setsuna wrote on 01:40, 16th Jun 2004:
MON THE LAT-VEE-AH!

im pissed off at the germany holland draw, as i was due a fiver off my ex if germany won. Bastards.

Reasons I dont go for England
- im scottish and we go for the underdogs, and england are a no bad team
- commentators mention england every two seconds, even if its a completely england unrelated match
- you harbour jimmy hill as one of yr natives
- england fans are depicted as bald yobs with england tattoos (blame international and domestic media!!) who lower their voices by two octaves to sing (note: scottish fans sing better thanks to our high lung cancer and obesity rate - adds character)
- i am only marginally anti-english in sport because scotland are so crap and im jealous
- etc.etc.etc.

Altho I think it was good to go for france... cuz in the end you got the best deal.

Johannes, calm down petal. We arent really racist bigots who envy when a country do well. Its just banter. I think, in essence, its just a friendly rivalry. Its the same reason I hate St Mirren F.C., but I dont hate (all) people from Paisley. Rivalries make it a bit more fun, especially when scotland arent really playing; we have noone to support!!

I'm enjoying the tournament so far.

How about you lot?

The tournament so far has been poor. Out of 8 games we've already had 2 goal less draws, we've had 2 teams try to make there games a non event(I can understand Latvia's point, but not Englands - well not unless they are admitting that they were shitting themselves against France). Only Sweden Spain France and the Czech have looked slightly threatenin. France and the Czech had 10 defenders to overcome in there atempts to play football aswell.

Holland and the Germans looked nothing special - but NEVER write of the Germans(no matter how shit they are). Hopefully Spain Greece tomorrow is a good game, but i've been saying this for a few days, the only decent games have been Sweden Bulgaria and Portugal Greece(although the last 2 minutes of the France game was good).

Any way what have you got against St Mingin? Morton fan are you? I always enjoy going to Paisley to see St Mirren, don't know why the games between Falkirk and St Mirren are terrible.

[hr]
Never buy a midget with learning difficulties, It's not big and it's not clever
The Famous Philosopher

Re:

Postby The Cellar Bar on Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:33 am

[s]Mohawk wrote on 21:07, 15th Jun 2004:
i vowed to count the times the word ENGLAND was said by John Motson in his commentary tonight, i have given up half way through the second half with over 30 mentions, and a few anecdotal ones of 1966

it really is rediculous, they can't get by without mentioning england, or some fact about england.

Czech Republic - Latvia was even better!!

ITV managed 8 in the 15 seconds or so between returning from the adverts just before kick-off and kick-off itself. And, like Motters managed 35 plus before half time.

Interesting tho' that by about the hour mark, they then threw in a ton of references to other European club sides in the space of about 2 minutes.

It was almost like they were trying to redress the balance and come out looking like they weren't closed-minded! As if........
The Cellar Bar

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:43 am

I'm just pissed off because it means TV is shit :S

[hr]Ah, I hate how nothing changes. Such a peaceful Earth should just collapse...
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Homer on Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:40 am

Well yes, BBC1 and ITV1 is just full of quality television at prime time!
Homer

Re:

Postby iohannes on Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:14 am

[s]Mohawk wrote on 21:07, 15th Jun 2004:

Would that possibly be because the BBC and ITV coverage is filmed once and shown throughout the United Kingdom and therefore the majority of people watching will be English?

[hr]
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
iohannes

Re:

Postby mossop on Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:14 pm

[s]iohannes wrote on 13:14, 16th Jun 2004:
Would that possibly be because the BBC and ITV coverage is filmed once and shown throughout the United Kingdom and therefore the majority of people watching will be English?

But what the fuck has England got to do with a match between Holland and Germany?
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a crate. Coincidence? I think not.
mossop

Re:

Postby iohannes on Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:54 pm

[s]mossop wrote on 14:14, 16th Jun 2004:
[s]iohannes wrote on 13:14, 16th Jun 2004:[i]

But what the fuck has England got to do with a match between Holland and Germany?
[/i]

Nothing other than it is being televised to them, and therefore, watched by them. I admit them going on about England is annoying, but most of the mentions were how Holland and Germany were playing compared to England which many English fans would be interested to know about.

[hr]
iohannes

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:26 pm

Maybe they should fill the matches with reference to all the well known Latvian, Czech, Portugese players etc. because we everyone in Britain knows them!

Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Jonny_G on Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:50 pm

I think there is an element of just trying to keep the watching public interested by throwing in a few England facts/references or whatever. And i feel that is fair enough particularly when the game is going through a particularly dull moment (the Holland-Germany game had these in abundance). But they definately go a bit far sometimes.

The constant comparisons last night between Schweinsteiger and Rooney bordered on the laughable. They play different positions, they have different builds, different styles of play, they are not the same age yet the comparisons kept coming. What the feck!

I have enjoyed the tournament so far but i have been surprised by the generally defensive play adopted by most countries, i'm hoping it opens up a little in the second and third rounds of group games. We were spoiled a little at Euro 2000 which had a particularly high number of goals.

As for a tournament winner, difficult to see past France really, they have the complete package. I'd watch out for Spain as an outside bet and i'm looking forward to seeing Sweden against stronger opposition, i think they've brought a solid team this year. As for England, great midfield but they lack a good goalkeeper and a really threatening goal presence. I think Spain will knock them out in the QFs.
Jonny_G

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:27 pm

Bastian Schweinsteiger played very, very well for me, but was still a bit of a disappointment. With a anme like that he should have an enormous twirlable moustache and preferably a cape. And a title like Baron von Scwheinsteiger. If only the Dutch had a player who was prepared to take the game by the scruff of the neck as he did. Very impressive.

My god Holland were poor. A lot of the football that they played was seriously not nationwide first division standard, let alone good enough for the international stage at all.
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

WOO!!

Postby Valen_gr on Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:00 pm

And yes, Greece have done it again!

Spain - Greece 1 : 1 !!

I cant believe this O.O

Im so happy heh
[i:3qoywpzu]Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe....[/i:3qoywpzu]
Valen_gr

Spain making the short trip home?

Postby Humphrey on Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:44 pm

Hmmm, Greece with 4 points and their next opponants Russia have nothing to play for. Portugal look a bit ropey but they have home advantage and are in the ascendancy. Anyone else think that Spain are going to bottle it again?. My prediction is that Greece will beat Russia and top the group, Spain will get beat by Portugal, then again I could be talking out my arse.
Humphrey

Re:

Postby Jonny_G on Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:08 pm

There's no doubt Greece have been the surprise outfit of this year's tournament so far and it's looking very likely either Spain or Portugal will not be taking any part in the QFs. Big shock there.

You can definately see the influence of the German coach in the Greek's play. They are supremely well organised and can play a bit when they need to. They are going to give someone a rough ride in the QFs but they can't get any further than that, can they?
Jonny_G

Re:

Postby The Famous Philosopher on Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:51 pm

Deleted - cos it was a load of bollocks

[hr]Never buy a midget with learning difficulties, It's not big and it's not clever
The Famous Philosopher

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board