Home

TheSinner.net

Best professors

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby rubbermuffin on Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:33 pm

Yep as an English student, there are some great lecturers I agree. I am a big fan of Mr Parry, and Chris Jones is always entertaining. There are some rubbish ones too though, but I won't mention any names.
'If something has to change then it always does'
rubbermuffin

Re:

Postby KateBush on Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:01 pm

[s]rubbermuffin wrote on 21:33, 10th Jul 2004:
Yep as an English student, there are some great lecturers I agree. I am a big fan of Mr Parry, and Chris Jones is always entertaining. There are some rubbish ones too though, but I won't mention any names.

oh, go on!
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby pobtastic on Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:11 pm

Barbara Murray is shit
pobtastic

lecturers + tutors = USELESS + WASTE OF MONEY

Postby factual on Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:18 pm

kate, you are wrong.

i am studying lit and found the tutors and lecturers completely USELESS and even annoying. i ask for help and they quite simply throw the question back in my face; either that or they do not give a clear answer and leave you scratching your head. it makes me wonder what their jobs consist of if they refuse to answer your questions properly. i pay over 1000 for them to teach me and they are not doing their jobs. in fact i was thinking of filing a complaint to the university for the refusal to teach and help. they are nothing but a bunch of pissoffs who enjoy frustrating students and then at the end they get low marks because they never helped them. how am i supposed to do well if they will not advise me on anything? one of my courses i didnt even know what i was doing - i was completely lost and asked for guidance. what did i get for help? nothing but a bitchy responce telling me to do it myself. HOW AM I SUPPOSE TO DO WELL IF I AM STUCK ON SOMETHING AND CANNOT FIGURE IT OUT? WHY THE FUCK ARE THE LECTURERS THERE? IF THEY REFUSE TO HELP, WTF ARE THEY THERE FOR - EATING SCHOOL LUNCH AND SITTING ON THEIR ASSES ALL DAY???

caps are to stress the point. i have got low grades because of this, and whenever i needed some help or guidance they wouldnt give it to me. its like they assume too much and this is just not right. something has to be done about this before my degree gets screwed up completely.
factual

Re:

Postby e on Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:19 pm

Peter McKiernan in the management dep, is unbelieveable! his lectures are like stand up shows, and as mentioned Shane Bonetti is by far the best in the economics department.
e

Re:

Postby Andrew Cusack on Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:14 am

I found that the Rev. Dr. Ian Bradley is an excellent educator. I have theological disagreements with him, and his hijinks at the St. Mary's College Ball were frown-worthy, but he's a damn fine teacher, and great fun at dinner parties.

[hr]
http://www.andrewcusack.com
Andrew Cusack

Re:

Postby nova on Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:04 am

[s]Unregisted User factual wrote on 17:21, 10th Jul 2004:
kate, you are wrong.

i am studying lit and found the tutors and lecturers completely USELESS and even annoying. i ask for help and they quite simply throw the question back in my face; either that or they do not give a clear answer and leave you scratching your head. it makes me wonder what their jobs consist of if they refuse to answer your questions properly. i pay over 1000 for them to teach me and they are not doing their jobs. in fact i was thinking of filing a complaint to the university for the refusal to teach and help. they are nothing but a bunch of pissoffs who enjoy frustrating students and then at the end they get low marks because they never helped them. how am i supposed to do well if they will not advise me on anything? one of my courses i didnt even know what i was doing - i was completely lost and asked for guidance. what did i get for help? nothing but a bitchy responce telling me to do it myself. HOW AM I SUPPOSE TO DO WELL IF I AM STUCK ON SOMETHING AND CANNOT FIGURE IT OUT? WHY THE FUCK ARE THE LECTURERS THERE? IF THEY REFUSE TO HELP, WTF ARE THEY THERE FOR - EATING SCHOOL LUNCH AND SITTING ON THEIR ASSES ALL DAY???

So let me get this straight. You regard a good university education as one where you pay money, and then the tutors sinmply hand over the answers without even asking you to think? Well, I am truly astounded. So that's where the university has been going wrong all these years...

There hasn't been much of a showing from the modern languages department yet so I thought I would add a few names:

Dr. Carson - (hard, but fair and with a realt concern for his students as well as a passion for his subject).

Dr. Milne - (an excellent and very affable tutor who ran some extremely interesting courses on literature that I might otherwise never have discovered).

Dr. Jackson - (as far as I am aware he is now retired. Scary as hell, but excellent nonetheless).

Dr. Martin - (genius)

Dr. Ashcroft - (crazy, but passionate).

Annette Zimmermann - (fantastic).

Just realised that this is a fairly big list, guess it just goes to show how highly i regard the modern languages department.

[hr]
"I slopped at the corner on cold chow mein and shot billiards with a midget until the rain stopped."

Tom Waits.
nova

Re:

Postby KateBush on Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:21 pm

That's a real shame that you feel so frustrated, factual. You don't say what year you're in, so I don't knw whether you're in honours or not. If you're sub-honours, maybe you could think about changing subject?

I have to say though, if you're looking for tutors to give you the answers, then you are the one at fault- they aren't meant to do that. They are meant to guide you, and send you off in the right direction, but especially with a subject like English, there *are* no right answers. It's for you to figure out yourself. That's what I find such a pleasure about English- the absolute freedom to explore my own avenues, that I have chosen.

Have you approached your year rep on the English Student Staff Consultative Committee about this? I'm a member, and can put forward your gripes next Semester (without mentioning any names--confidentiality assured). It's a very useful forum, and students are listened to. We speak very frankly and openly, no holds barred. so if there's a serious problem, I can sock it to 'em on your behalf:) Perhaps student support might be able to help, too?

Good luck, and feel free to drop me a line if you'd like me to put forward to the SSCC any problems for you.
KateBush

Re:

Postby Midget on Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:27 pm

What were Ian Bradley's "hijinks" that made you frown Mr Cusack?
What are hijinks?
And as a student surely frowning is a bit of dull thing to do?
Midget

Re:

Postby KateBush on Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:48 pm

[s]pobtastic wrote on 23:11, 10th Jul 2004:
Barbara Murray is shit

NO SHE'S NOT
KateBush

Re:

Postby tintin on Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:39 am

I think that "Mr Parry" has a large fan-base, especially amongst those students with alcoholic tendancies...he just gets funnier the more you drink!

I too will nominate Dr. Milne as a good tutor (or as the Americans would say, "professor"). She cooked us all dinner at her house after the course ended, which was a nice touch.

Also Dr. Tunstall and Mr. Armitage(Physics), Dr. Sneddon and Professor Lodge (French).

I'll stop now, as I obviously have way too much time on my hands waiting for a flight home...
tintin

Re:

Postby factual on Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:37 pm

[s]KateBush wrote on 15:21, 11th Jul 2004:
That's a real shame that you feel so frustrated, factual. You don't say what year you're in, so I don't knw whether you're in honours or not.

sub-honours, hun.

I have to say though, if you're looking for tutors to give you the answers, then you are the one at fault- they aren't meant to do that. They are meant to guide you, and send you off in the right direction..

thats exactly what i meant. i am not asking for answers because i know criticism does not involve finding an ultimate answer, but for guidance and giving me directions, so to speak. i need to know what i am doing and what i am looking for when reading a work. they refuse to help me on this (guiding, that is).

Have you approached your year rep on the English Student Staff Consultative Committee about this? I'm a member, and can put forward your gripes next Semester (without mentioning any names--confidentiality assured). It's a very useful forum, and students are listened to. We speak very frankly and openly, no holds barred. so if there's a serious problem, I can sock it to 'em on your behalf:) Perhaps student support might be able to help, too?

i don't know who my rep for the English Student Staff Consultative Committee is. student support cannot help - but dave roberts can. i might speak to him about this. as for this 'forum', i would like more info on this. is there a site?

Good luck, and feel free to drop me a line if you'd like me to put forward to the SSCC any problems for you.

thanks. not sure how to contact you..hopefully i might see you in the sinner chat sometime? :-/

thanks for your understanding.
factual

fact not fiction

Postby Hilly on Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:40 pm

Obviously the academic staff cannot comprehend the sheer excellence of your reasoning factual. I mean in your tutorials, when you ask for toilet breaks five times, that's not only genius: that's something else. Oscar Wilde was once asked if he knew everything. He replied that he was not young enough. Yet with you factual your mind is so full of youthful genius that it seems to have evaded all the pollutions of the working world. Maybe you should try the nearby primary school for some answers to your sublimely inexplicable and profound questions: they will even put you in the 'special' group. Or alternatively, I know a few nannies that would probably look after you for that £1000 that you spend each year.
Hilly

Re:

Postby SimplyTheBest on Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:44 pm

Proffesor Bentley (Modern History)

Dr Will Fowler (Spanish)
SimplyTheBest

Re:

Postby pobtastic on Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:55 pm

NO SHE'S NOT

...yet all evidence points to her being shit - conclusion = SHE'S SHIT!!!
pobtastic

Re:

Postby KateBush on Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:09 pm

[s]Unregisted User factual wrote on 18:20, 11th Jul 2004:
[s]KateBush wrote on 15:21, 11th Jul 2004:[i]
That's a real shame that you feel so frustrated, factual. You don't say what year you're in, so I don't knw whether you're in honours or not.

sub-honours, hun.

I have to say though, if you're looking for tutors to give you the answers, then you are the one at fault- they aren't meant to do that. They are meant to guide you, and send you off in the right direction..

thats exactly what i meant. i am not asking for answers because i know criticism does not involve finding an ultimate answer, but for guidance and giving me directions, so to speak. i need to know what i am doing and what i am looking for when reading a work. they refuse to help me on this (guiding, that is).

i don't know who my rep for the English Student Staff Consultative Committee is. student support cannot help - but dave roberts can. i might speak to him about this. as for this 'forum', i would like more info on this. is there a site?

thanks. not sure how to contact you..hopefully i might see you in the sinner chat sometime? :-/

thanks for your understanding.
[/i]

Hi factual. Just click on my profile and email me that way if you want. And when I said forum, I meant a real, physical forum rather than cyber one. I do hope you get things sorted. English don't get it right all the time, but they try hard to.
KateBush

Re:

Postby jrat19 on Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:09 am

would anybody care to comment on some of the lecturers in the International relations department?
jrat19

Re:

Postby garage red on Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:45 am

Certainly if you're coming to St Andrews and studying Maths I would definately say that:

For style: Dr Lars Olsen
For notes: Dr Graham Bell
For clarity of information: Prof Alan Hood

In addition I've had Dr Olsen as a tutor and he was without a shadow of a doubt the best tutor that I've ever had
garage red

Re:

Postby Rob Milsom on Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:34 pm

[s]Unregisted User jrat19 wrote on 00:21, 19th Jul 2004:
would anybody care to comment on some of the lecturers in the International relations department?

A chance for a throwaway comment? Certainly..

Best lecturers

Andrea Teti - the only person who could ever make the study of constructivist theory in relation to the Middle East interesting and memorable (particularly relating it to Smurfs). Could remember who the villan was in Rocky VI, and not averse to lecturing on Castle Sands. Now sadly departed.

Magnus Ranstorp - frankly, for being Magnus Ranstorp, even if occasionally unlocatable without recourse to a homing device.

William Walker - because you needed to know about the Teller-Ulam Solution anyway, very authoritative and witty man - plus was always very consistent with providing overheads.

Actually, to be fair, in four years with the department, I really can't remember having a bad lecturer.
[i]Is tresa tuath na tighearna
Rob Milsom

Re:

Postby KayBee on Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:00 pm

Phill Winn - Psychology
Dr Riches - Soc Anth
The guy with the pony tail who was so inspirational I've forgotten his name - Computer Science
KayBee

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board