Home

TheSinner.net

Year abroad at another uni

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Year abroad at another uni

Postby Guest on Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:05 pm

Hey. I know we get loads of students from the States and other countries spending years of semesters with us in St. Andrews, but how easy is it for us to head off for similar periods to other unis? I'm desperate to spend a few months at Melbourne University in Australia, but so far I'm unable to find an established link between St. As and that uni. Does this mean it isn't a viable transfer, or will it mean having to pay academic fees to both unis at the same time?

Any ideas? :-)

Re:

Postby benedict on Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:46 pm

something of a naive answer, but surely ask the uni (St Andrew's) itself. i'm sure they could give some information. if you want to try a year abroad then grab things with both hands & find out.
benedict

Re:

Postby TheUnixKid on Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:50 pm

there is a list of university's which St Andrews has links with abroad. Unfortunately for you they are in America. A list is available from 79 North Street.
TheUnixKid

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:16 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 23:03, 9th Jul 2004:
Hey. I know we get loads of students from the States and other countries spending years of semesters with us in St. Andrews, but how easy is it for us to head off for similar periods to other unis? I'm desperate to spend a few months at Melbourne University in Australia, but so far I'm unable to find an established link between St. As and that uni. Does this mean it isn't a viable transfer, or will it mean having to pay academic fees to both unis at the same time?
Any ideas? :-)

get with reality. you wont get a place. be realistic. you arent going nowhere. deal with it.

Re:

Postby AR on Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:34 pm

if youre curious the uni webpage has a link about studying abroad which is here:

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/services/ad ... seas.shtml

but, there isnt anything there about australia so I dont know if that helps
"Well la de dah... la de dah"
--annie hall
AR

Re:

Postby mossop on Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:27 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 15:59, 10th Jul 2004:
get with reality. you wont get a place. be realistic. you arent going nowhere. deal with it.

What's your fucking problem?

[hr]
IMAGE:www.stuord.demon.co.uk/justlarge.gif
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a crate. Coincidence? I think not.
mossop

Well...

Postby Guest on Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:51 pm

I hear that they speak (a form of) English in Australia, but if you speak a foreign language you could try one of the SOCRATES/ERASMUS programs the university coordinates with European universities. The departments in the School of Modern Languages have coordinators you could speak with, or see the movie L'Auberge Espagnole for more information.

Re:

Postby Sir Tufton Bufton on Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:09 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 23:34, 12th Jul 2004:
I hear that they speak (a form of) English in Australia, but if you speak a foreign language you could try one of the SOCRATES/ERASMUS programs the university coordinates with European universities. The departments in the School of Modern Languages have coordinators you could speak with, or see the movie L'Auberge Espagnole for more information.

Heh, that was an enjoyable movie. Dunno how much it would actually teach you about the mechanics of ERASMUS, though.
Sir Tufton Bufton

Re:

Postby Wong on Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:02 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 15:59, 10th Jul 2004:

Born Optimist's Award for you.

[hr]
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Re:

Postby nova on Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:00 am

I did a year abroad in Bonn, but if you aren't doing a modern language, getting onto the SOCRATES programme is, well, virtually impossible. As far as other universities in non-EU countries are concerned the process is probably somewhat different. Provided you haven't missed the deadline you can apply for several American universities via the International Office on Butts Wynd, just go down there and ask. Otherwise, there may be bodies based in the country where you want to study similar to the British Council that can help you. For example I have a friend in Taiwan who decided that she wanted to study for a year in a British university and applied directly to several institutions. Personally I thought it was something of a long shot, but she got some help from the British Council and starts studying at Edinburgh next September. There ought to be no reason why you couldn't do the same provided that you are not put of by the idea of persevering.

[hr]"I slopped at the corner on cold chow mein and shot billiards with a midget until the rain stopped."

Tom Waits.
nova

Return to The Sinner's Main Board