Home

TheSinner.net

How far would you go?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

How far would you go?

Postby Cain on Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:08 pm

Watching the weekend challenge on BB5 and michelle's fish milkshake got me thinking.

What lengths would you go to get your "happily ever after"?

if it was something that you really really wanted, and couldn't get any other way, what would you do to achieve it?

If Fate said that you could have your deepest, most powerful dream come true, and you would be happy for ever on the condition that you did one thing for her, where would you draw the line?

Would you drink a fish milkshake a day for a month? a year?

Would you put your hands in boling water to achieve your dreams?

what if Fate told you that you could have everything you wanted if you pressed a button and killed somebody that you kind of knew? Would you trade the life of the guy who sits in front of you in lectures for your happiness? what if it wasn't a button that yopu pushed? what if you actually had to kill them with your bare hands? would that be worth your dreams?

or what if the button didn't kill one man, but caused a landslide in the ukraine that buried a town?

these thoughts and others were on my mind while at work. i wanted to know what anybody else had to say on them

[hr]I will diminish, and go into fourth year, and remain Cain
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Haunted on Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:11 pm

If all i had to do was endure some intense physical pain for a short time (i.e the boiling water) then yeah, no problem.
That would be the hardest one. But pushing a button? Click, like that.

Bearing in mind i will be 'happily ever after', I'm assuming i will never be haunted by those unfortunate ukrainian villagers. Even if i was, oh well, cant have everything. Its a shame no quick-fix solution has presented itself to me. Unless, of coruse, you have such a village destroying button?
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:22 pm

[s]Haunted wrote on 21:11, 22nd Jul 2004:
Bearing in mind i will be 'happily ever after', I'm assuming i will never be haunted by those unfortunate ukrainian villagers. Even if i was, oh well, cant have everything. Its a shame no quick-fix solution has presented itself to me. Unless, of coruse, you have such a village destroying button?

i don't have such a button, but the Lady Fate might.

i actually thought about including knowledge of your decision into the happily ever after, otherwise there would be nmo risks involved. What's the problem with strangling somebody if you don't know anything about it the next day?

you have to value your dreams in order to appreciate them the more.

[hr]
I will diminish, and go into fourth year, and remain Cain
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Haunted on Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:05 pm

If you said "Strangle that guy over there and you will recieve everlasting happiness", then sure, cant think of a good reason not to.
Haunted

Re:

Postby lurking graduate on Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:07 pm

I wouldn't kill anyone for everlasting happiness, regardless of how well/little I knew them. That would be bad. I might go so far as to punch them in the face though, obviously apologising afterwards. Hurting myself wise, I reckon that if the promised riches were sufficiently alluring, I might cut off an arm. Not a leg though. Well, maybe one leg, but almost certainly not both.
lurking graduate

Re:

Postby Haunted on Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:19 pm

an arm before a leg?
I'd readily lose both my legs before i even lost a thumb. Theres just infinitely more things you can do with your upper body limbs.
Plus they have wheelchairs, and there quite fun
Haunted

Re:

Postby Biitchboy on Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:23 am

[s]Haunted wrote on 22:05, 22nd Jul 2004:
If you said "Strangle that guy over there and you will recieve everlasting happiness", then sure, cant think of a good reason not to.

I don't think I'd be in the habit of believing someone who told me to strangle someone in exchange for eternal happiness. You would have sold your cow for magic beans too, wouldn't you?
Biitchboy

Re:

Postby stan on Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:05 am

i can't believe this topic is being discussed.

the end.
stan

Re:

Postby Kibet on Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:33 am

[s]Biitchboy wrote on 02:23, 25th Jul 2004:
I don't think I'd be in the habit of believing someone who told me to strangle someone in exchange for eternal happiness. You would have sold your cow for magic beans too, wouldn't you?

Bad example as those beans were magic
Kibet

Re:

Postby randypanthegoatboy on Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:24 am

viva las logos de caviata wan pint o lager a please
randypanthegoatboy

Re:

Postby Haunted on Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:29 pm

Are you saying you would have advised poor jack not to invest in the beans?
what a great story that wouldve made
Haunted

Alls fair

Postby Chain Mailer on Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:28 pm

Hell!! If my most desired dream came true I'd do anything!!! Beep the button, garrotte the lecture dude, hand in boiling pot? No worries :) *sigh* if only that were the case. I'd even spend a day locked in a room with 1 million flying daddy-long-legs :s
Now that would be way harder then killing people!
And to go with the magic beans, I would have set the cow free and then mugged the guy for the beans ;)

[hr]
It's not me! Why does everyone always think its personnal!
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious
Chain Mailer

Re:

Postby Midget on Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:55 pm

Magic beans, I'd go for them, magic anything for that matter of fact. there was a childrens' spelling program which went on about Magic Magic 'E'; 'dad' becomes 'dead' with 'e', 'kit' becomes 'kite' with 'e', 'shit' becomes 'shite' with 'e', ok maybe not that last one but yo get the idea. Anyone any other good exmples of what magic 'e' does?
Midget

Re:

Postby benedict on Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:58 pm

''dad' becomes 'dead' with 'e''

a lesson for us all.
benedict

Re:

Postby randypanthegoatboy on Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:40 pm

ce vesta as far as your est ce ve mothero would allow
randypanthegoatboy

Return to The Sinner's Main Board