Home

TheSinner.net

The medical timebomb: 'too many women doctors'

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

The medical timebomb: 'too many women doctors'

Postby Guest on Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:32 pm

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health ... ory=546980

I would add my own opinion but I really don't know what to think about that article!

Re:

Postby Haunted on Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:12 pm

I thought it was a joke at first.
Maybe shes onto something though. Imagine if a male had made those comments...
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:09 pm

And there we have it boys and girls, another great article by the Independent.

[hr]"My hour for tea is half-past five, and my buttered toast waits for nobody."
-Wilkie Collins, The Woman in White
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:21 pm

Yeah, no women in the workforce. Why aren't they wearing their aprons?
Get back into the kitchen!
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Miz Manda on Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:56 pm

Kind of related- I read a thing in yesterdays Metro (a great little distraction to help pass the hour long bus ride to Glasgow) about a report endorsed by the pope. This may not be entirely accurate but as I remember it they gave the gist of it as the rise in homosexual relationships( and from the sounds of it the downfall of Western civilisation) etc. being caused by women in the workforce, i.e. loss of gender roles and 'abandonment' of womens traditional duties.
Miz Manda

Re:

Postby Midget on Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:26 pm

Homosexual relations could actually perhaps be linked to the Rise of civilsation. The Greeks were incredibly advanced, democracy etc. then along came Christianity & Homophobia and its a millenium of dark ages, then Renaissance Italy, very cilivised, very gay. Now again we're doing pretty well and tolerance is on the rise.

So bugger the Pope!
Midget

Re:

Postby someone on Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:23 am

"Ok, son, now cough twice."

Pediatrics will never be the same.
someone

Re:

Postby novium on Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:12 am

[s]Midget wrote on 23:26, 3rd Aug 2004:
Homosexual relations could actually perhaps be linked to the Rise of civilsation. The Greeks were incredibly advanced, democracy etc. then along came Christianity & Homophobia and its a millenium of dark ages, then Renaissance Italy, very cilivised, very gay. Now again we're doing pretty well and tolerance is on the rise.

So bugger the Pope!

The greeks did have the older man/ younger man relationship, but it was meant to be a temporary thing. They frowned upon citizens who did not settle down and do their duty and get married and have kids. It was sort of a coming of age thing.

It was also very greek. The romans certainly weren't wild about it.

So anyway, your linking of christianity with both homophobia and the dark ages (and some how, homophobia AND the dark ages) is not what quite historically accurate.
novium

Re:

Postby KateBush on Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:49 am

Too many women doctors? What about TOO many SHITE doctors full stop? The NationalHELLService is a shambles!
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:53 am

Ah Kate, whatever would the Sinner be without you?
Prophet Tenebrae

And the problem is?

Postby Chain Mailer on Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:26 pm

Ok... I still dont get it, too many women is bad? And that is because... Hopefully we could get more in Parliment and sort out that mess as well :) Actually no, scrub that, its sxist. Lets just get rid of the government :) Vote for me as dictator and you'll get a free toaster and retain the ability of your legs

[hr]
It's not me! Why does everyone always think its personnal!
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious
Chain Mailer

Re:

Postby Haunted on Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:31 pm

theres only room on this board for one aspiring evil dictator!
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Sleigh on Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:29 pm

[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 12:53, 4th Aug 2004:
Ah Kate, whatever would the Sinner be without you?

Hear, hear.
[hr]
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.
Sleigh

Re:

Postby KateBush on Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:06 pm

THanks guys:)
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby The Cellar Bar on Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:41 am

I got the feeling that the crux of what she was trying to say was in her comments that
"How do we ensure that women can fully participate in all the activities that were previously part of the professional life? If you can't make it possible for women to participate in everything - doing research, attending committees, influencing the Department of Health - the profession will lose its influence."

There was no female dean of a medical school, no female head of a department of surgery and no female head of a department of medicine, she said - testimony to the difficulties women faced in taking on the top jobs.

In other words, medicine has been a male dominated profession for so long that the processes don't take into account decisions that women have to/feel they have to, make for "domestic" reasons. And that if the profession didn't adjust to the present day, then the profession would suffer as a result.

Pretty much in the same way that Parliament has had to adjust. Or lose undoubted talent that otherwise wanted to get involved. That's not suggesting that women shouldn't be allowed access to medicine as a profession. But that the profession itself should change to encourage more involvement at the top level where the big influences happen.
The Cellar Bar

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:20 pm

[s]KateBush wrote on 10:49, 4th Aug 2004:
Too many women doctors? What about TOO many SHITE doctors full stop? The NationalHELLService is a shambles!

Don't be so utterly ridiculous. You think you see things in black and white - that would be the understatement of the year!

The plight of the NHS has NOTHING to do with the doctors (or the nurses) or their "lack" of skill or otherwise!

Wise up.

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:20 pm

Stop bloody moaning about the national health service. At least you dont have to pay for it. You ignorant woman.

Re:

Postby wtf? on Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:25 pm

Excuse me? You actually think the reason the NHS is so bad is down to shite doctors?

Well that's a new one. And there was me thinking it was down to mismanagement and the government making all the wrong decisions but no! It's because all those hard working, overworked in fact, doctors (and maybe the nurses to do you think?) who just aren't making the effort despite their low pay and terrible hours.

Shame on them, or perhaps more correctly shame on you. There is nothing wrong with the doctors who try their best to help people in a system that has become a shambles.

Some of your little rants are very amusing but that one takes the whole packet of biscuits. Perhaps you should actually think before you start shouting like you're at one of those daft SSP rallies where people actually believe there are only two colours in which to see the world.
wtf?

Re:

Postby Pandyboy on Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:12 pm

Just to note that Kate's experiences with NHS (particularly incompetent docs) does give some reasoning to her wrath.

Her views may be loud and shouty, but she has had bad experiences at the hands of incompentent docs at both ends of the coutry, not just a one off.

And to be fair, all the NHS's problems can't just be blamed on the Government, I suspect quite a few bad docs get away with their mistakes because of the shambles which surrounds them - am probably gonna end up one of them, though I hope not.
Pandyboy

Return to The Sinner's Main Board