Home

TheSinner.net

Can the Greeks ruin yet another international tournament?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Can the Greeks ruin yet another international tournament?

Postby Zombie Sheep on Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:08 pm

Sorry, been away for a while. I was just wondering, after the Greek national football team managed to ruin an otherwise perfect Euro 2004 by winning it, does it seem likely that they will do it again with the Olympics? Maybe things won't be finished in time, maybe most of the hotels will be empty, maybe they will have sold only half the tickets just days before the opening ceremony? None of those things could happen, could they?
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:42 pm

I don't know - all the news at the moment seems to be trying to tell us that "oh, looks like they won't fuck up."

But only time will tell.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:46 pm

Tomorrows headlines (copyright all papers)
"Another Greek Tragedy?"
Oh, how we laugh...
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Haunted on Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:37 am

My money's on some sort of terrorist attack
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Manic23 on Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:20 am

MRS. CARBERRY: Feckin' Greeks.
COLM: It isn't the Greeks, it's the Chinese he's after.
TED: (panicing) I'm not after the Chinese.
MRS. CARBERRY: I don't care who he gets so long as I can have a go at the Greeks. They
invented gayness!
Manic23

Re:

Postby Valen_gr on Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:07 pm

Kenneth and the Rest :

Here is my big fat greek finger giving you a big up yours :p

As for the euro 2004 : Sour Grapes.

Get your star beckam a wheelchair next time :p

As for the olympics, was at the opening ceremony on sunday :p (the main reharsal, heh)

As for stuff being ready or not, everything is ready,I have been working in half a dozen onlympic venues since the 22 of july and all is awesome and ready.Tickets are selling at a rate of 50.000+ a day. Maybe you wont get one if you dont hurry.And since i lve here, i can tell you Athens is empty of most greeks (on holiday this time of year) but full of tourists (yay!)

In any case, team GB has a cool red telephone box outside its complex in the olympic village,and i hope the games go well for everyone, good luck^^
[i:3qoywpzu]Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe....[/i:3qoywpzu]
Valen_gr

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:49 pm

Channel 4 news said 85,000 a day, this evening.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby 97hills on Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:28 pm

[s]Zombie Sheep wrote on 00:08, 10th Aug 2004:
Sorry, been away for a while. I was just wondering, after the Greek national football team managed to ruin an otherwise perfect Euro 2004 by winning it, does it seem likely that they will do it again with the Olympics? Maybe things won't be finished in time, maybe most of the hotels will be empty, maybe they will have sold only half the tickets just days before the opening ceremony? None of those things could happen, could they?

Euro2004 was one of the best because the Greeks won it!! Great football, great drama and it's always brilliant to se underdogs win! Gives us Scots hope!
97hills

Re:

Postby Valen_gr on Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:52 pm

Yea 85.000 is correct, It started out as 50.000 a day last week and has been climbing ever since, to 85.000 now. At this rate, stadiums are gonna be full :)

And yes, What greece did in euro 2004 should be an example fro scotland to move ahead of england for once :)

I cant begin to tell you how happy everyone here in greece was with what happened, mainly because it was a big surprise for us also.
[i:3qoywpzu]Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe....[/i:3qoywpzu]
Valen_gr

Re:

Postby jennyo on Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:59 pm

[s]Mr Comedy wrote on 00:46, 10th Aug 2004:
Tomorrows headlines (copyright all papers)
"Another Greek Tragedy?"
Oh, how we laugh...

I liked Time magazine's better....
'Acropolis Now'

[hr]
If you can't be a good example, you'll have to be a horrible warning
Do those under a risk of death by metor run some thus-far indefinite risk of longrun meteorisation?
- David Bean
jennyo

Re:

Postby Odysseus on Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:35 pm

Just as a side note - EURO 2004 was FAR from a perfect competition, it lacked goals and exciting play (aside from Holland against the Czech Republic, there wasn't a memorable game from a footballing perspective). If anything, the less comercial, South American "Copa America" was much more entertaining, even though it featured Brazil's reserve side (who still won).
Walk into the bright lights of sorrow, oh drink a bit of wine and we both might go tommorow, my love...
Odysseus

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:06 pm

Yeah, it was sour grapes about Euro 2004, but only because I wanted Portugal to win. In all seriousness though, I would like a good Olympics, but I don't think the British team will win as many medals as the last outing!
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:36 pm

Well, Sydney was unusually high, so it's unlikely! I'm really looking forward to the Olympics, and getitng very excited. I always love them, ever since watching the Barcelona games in 1992.

The BBC's '50 Greatest Olympic Moments' programme has really put me in the mood- it was wonderful to see all those highlights of the Games.

[hr][s]What she read- all heady books, she'd sit and prophesise (it took a tattooed boy from Birkenhead to really, really open her eyes).
[/s]
[i:1wp3kko0]Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
[/i:1wp3kko0]
LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:13 am

Everything is going flawlessly, complete with the UK media snorting that it was only just done on time. What does it matter if it is done in time? Followed by the UK media (bbc news) snorting that some of the people don't speak English very well and if you queue up at the wrong and well marked kiosk they might not be able to help you.

Note to bbc, if you stand at the information desk for the athletes only they won't be able to tell you which is the best bus to get to your tourist only hotel. Oh and also it's a bit lame to tell them off for having a brand new stadium just because it hasn't seen an emergency in it yet *head desk*

It's kind of embarasing actually and no doubt all because the Olympics aren't where they should be, ie London.

I think Greece has gone to an amazing amount of trouble and effort and it's all top notch stuff. It's great to have them in such a historical place. Should be a great Olympics :)

Re:

Postby Sir Tufton Bufton on Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:13 am

I loved the Greek win at Euro 2004.

What, did you want one of the usual suspects to win another footie tournament?

And since I find it hard to respect the Portuguese side in light of their propensity to fall over for long periods when ahead, I didn't want them to win either.

Martin O'Neill and Alex Ferguson might well agree.
Sir Tufton Bufton

Return to The Sinner's Main Board